Cdev Q&A- What happened?

Story Forum
After that third one I would be happy to never see another again.
12/10/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Virsago
Does Grizzly Hills take place before or after the Wrathgate?

Dragonblight (71-74) comes before Grizzly Hills (73-75).

12/10/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Virsago
Because you can go to the zone before you do the Wrathgate questline at all.

You can do Zul'Drak before Grizzly Hills. You can do Icecrown before Borean Tundra. Clearing the zones out of order doesn't change the way the story is supposed to go.
Storm Peaks didn't bother me.

Now what bothered me the most.

Was

VRYKUL+CURSE OF FLESH=HUMANS

That pisses me off and I wish they would retcon that to hell. I don't care of Vrkyl eventually evolved or had some deity alter them in some way or even that one Watcher that is missing and the Light and all that made our evolution. I would of preferred that. Some things bothered me in Wrath...but not all of it.
What's wrong with that? Dwarves and gnomes originated in the same fashion.
Being involved with Old Gods...feels dirty... that we don't need everything homogenized with the Old Gods.
The Wrath story only really seems to make sense if you start in Borean Tundra, then do Dragonblight, move on the Grizzly Hills, then hit Zul'Drak and Icecrown. Sholazar, Howling Fjord and Storm Peaks feel strange and disjointed and feel like their connection to the overall narrative is tenuous at best. That said, Storm Peaks as a standalone zone is one of my favorites.
12/10/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Valius
Being involved with Old Gods...feels dirty... that we don't need everything homogenized with the Old Gods.

That was arguably some of the most creative storytelling Blizzard has ever done, conceptually. And with the Old Gods being so centerpiece to Azerothian history...It's kind of hard not to.

And it doesn't change a whole lot of Wrath's problem. You had a few really good zones, that made a lot of sense and were connected, and then you had a few zones that really weren't. They were designed okay, but they didn't fit in with the overarching story.

It's one thing I'll give them about Pandaria, they didn't try to connect all of the zones to the hip, but they did connect them, very losely in some places, with the Pandaren culture. For example, Valley of the Four Winds feels weird, when you leave the Jade Forest, but if you look at it closely, you see the damage the Sha of Fear has been doing, towards the end of the zone, in the form of the Mantid breaking down some of the wall. Krasarang focuses a little more on the Mogu, which then connects to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms pretty directly later on. Kun'Lai, Townlong and the Dread Wastes are all connected in pretty obvious ways.

Kun'Lai, Townlong and the Dread Wastes are all connected by the Sha, the Yaungol, and the Shado-Pan, with the Dread Wastes and Townlong involving the Mantid as well.

There are a lot of reoccuring themes, without massive shifts, like there were in Wrath. Going from Zul'Drak to Scholazar was a pretty big change, and Howling Fjord had a decent start, but petered out the further into the zone you got. If we want good writing from Blizzard, we need to analyze what they give us, and not just gloss over it as "I liked it, so it's fine." Haven't you ever enjoyed what has been objectively bad media before? TV shows or books or movies? Doesn't stop you from enjoying it, but trying to pass it off as anything more is just silly.