why do we have lockboxes?

General Discussion
12/10/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Speçtre
Most guilds tend to have at least one rogue, I'm always opening them for guildies.

I open about 3 a day on Winterhoof, an extra 2-3 on raid nights. The greens sell for between 150-300 gold depending on the slot. I have had a 6 lockbox streak. (a lockbox in a lockbox in a lockbox in a lockbox in a lockbox in a lockbox.)

Lockbox-ception.
12/10/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Humerus
no one ever opens these things,

You're not offering a big enough tip.

What's an appropriate tip? I have boxes that are lvl 1 darkmoon chests, up to max level boxes. Does it matter the level or is it the amount of boxes to open? Would I offer a flat tip rate and say "looking for someone to open 10 boxes, 100g for your time" ?
12/10/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Kincayd
I have had a 6 lockbox streak.

Scratch my last post, what are YOUR favorite six numbers?
12/10/2012 01:54 PMPosted by Antimetica

You're not offering a big enough tip.

What's an appropriate tip? I have boxes that are lvl 1 darkmoon chests, up to max level boxes. Does it matter the level or is it the amount of boxes to open? Would I offer a flat tip rate and say "looking for someone to open 10 boxes, 100g for your time" ?

I think it varies depending on level.

10g is pretty good for the Ghost Iron Lockboxes, since those drop anywhere from 30 to 50. 1g for a lot of low level boxes is also all right. But if you've got a ton of them, you should tip more.
They are kind of boring now imo... only gold and/or a green item or 2. I may be wrong, but I could have sworn that the previous lockboxes had potential world drops as well (blues/epics/recipes/etc).
12/10/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Tranzia
The other night I opened one and got another Lockbox, it happened to me 5 times in a row!
Boxception!

You beat me to it!

Guild members will often ask me to open these for them. I've seen plenty of cool items found inside. Glyph of Pick Lock also comes in handy when I have a bunch in my mail waiting to be picked.
12/10/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Xvi
They are kind of boring now imo... only gold and/or a green item or 2. I may be wrong, but I could have sworn that the previous lockboxes had potential world drops as well (blues/epics/recipes/etc).

I have received old world recipes before that do not drop off mobs anymore, in a current lockbox. While they are lower level recipes, they do have some value to someone out there who collects those kinds of things.

Lockbox opening I think has 2 at least outward reasons for it. 1 it gives a potential income to a rogue or bs, kind of like how mages get tips for portals. 2 it can be an ice breaker to ask around asking for someone to open them. Maybe some people made a rogue or bs just for the purpose of unlocking boxes and found they liked playing a rogue or doing bs.
12/10/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Brennvin
Boxception!

You beat me to it!

Guild members will often ask me to open these for them. I've seen plenty of cool items found inside. Glyph of Pick Lock also comes in handy when I have a bunch in my mail waiting to be picked.

So..... Brennvin plays a rogue eh.....

/files info away for future use
I like the lockboxes. They make my Rogue feel useful. : \
12/10/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Endrus
They won't remove them just because you want them to. Level a rogue if you want to unlock one then.

Or a Blacksmith :)
My server has no rogues left though.
I have a blacksmith alt that I mail all mine too. She unlocks them and mails them back for me to open. Used to let her open them until a mote of harmony showed up in one.
Lockboxes I get float around in my mailboxes until I know I'm going to encounter the guild rogue, a blacksmith, or engineer. I don't toss them. I like the little surprises inside. I don't get them often enough that they become a problem for me.

I like'em. I disagree with OP. :)
I have a bs that opens them. The gold alone is worth it. If you don't want them, send them to someone that does. If anything it's extra enchanting mats for this girl. /shrug
I just make some keys and open them myself.
So..... Brennvin plays a rogue eh.....

/files info away for future use

Considering the current state of Rogues, I hope you don't file this for 5.2 when they get buffed and start a similar thread to the GC OP's Mages on purpose type deal?
There should be a "Safecracker" in each bank that you can pay a nominal fee (5-10 gold) to have these lockboxes opened.
Why did Volatile Seaforium Blastpack get nerfed ?
Worked till last patch.

Engineers who drop blingtron give all at chance at a mount now.

Show engineering some love and a 476 gun (since drop rates are so bad).
12/10/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Hixson
It would be awesome to have "Unlock" roll when they drop in 5mans. Kind of like having "Disenchant" roll when there is an Enchanter in a group, same here if you are grouped with a rogue.
I have 8 or 9 of these in my bank, have offered 25g a pop tip for opening them, and no one will do it. I agree with OP, these things are BS.