World of... wait... nvm. I got ganked again.

General Discussion
Prev 1 24 25 26 Next
This isn't something I comment on much, but I'm going to chime in here.

First of all, I hate CRZ with a burning passion. I play primarily on a PvE server, and while there may be people (the kind who can't fight someone near their own level, so they need lowbies to gank) on PvP servers who like it, they're in a minority. But that's not the issue here.

I played on a PvP server throughout vanilla WoW. As I understand it, the situation now is very much like it was back then -- and unlike the emasculated "pvp" that many people seem to have gotten used to. I played on one of the highest population servers. Getting killed by someone so high level you can't even scuff his armor? That happened in vanilla. It happened on a regular basis. (and let's not even get into the "meeting stones") That's what PvP servers are. Player versus player. Red = dead.

If you don't want to play that way, there are carebear servers. I play on one now. I can PvP all I want ... I just do it in battlegrounds. If I really want to, I can /pvp flag anywhere. And if I don't want to, I can go quest and mind my own business.

It sounds to me, OP and people of the same mind, that that's what you're looking for. You want PvP to be between equals (I'll assume for the sake of discussion that you would be as unwilling to kill someone lower level than you expect them to be with regard to you). You don't want PvP to interrupt your gameplay. You want PvP, in other words, on your terms and on your schedule. That's what PvE servers are for! There are many of them. Pick one you like and move there, or reroll there.

But for the love of the Light, you rolled on a PvP server. You chose to roll on a PvP server. No matter why you chose it, you chose to do so. And you did so despite the warnings in the character creation screen that it is going to be much, much harder. Yes, PvP servers are a lot harder to level on, and a lot harder to play on. They're a totally different environment from carebear servers. That's the whole point.

If you don't want to play on a PvP realm, there are dozens of alternatives.; roll on one or transfer there Perhaps Blizzard should have offered free or reduced-price PvP-->PvE realm moves when they instituted CRZ, since that seems to be what put PvP realms back the way they used to be (maybe move all your toons off the server for the price of one? I'd go for that). But don't whine that you're being killed on a server where the whole ruleset exists to enable people to kill you.

If I were to come to the forums and complain that someone from the other faction took a battle pet that I wanted, so I should be able to kill him in retaliation despite playing on a PvE server, people here would justly laugh me off the forums. PvE ruleset, PvE play. That's really what you're saying: You're playing on a PvP realm, but you don't want the PvP rules to apply to you. "Blizzard, they're hurting me! Make it stop!" It doesn't work that way.

A friend of mine, who also once played on a PvP server, in explaining why he doesn't like them, said playing there amounts to "giving every over-caffeinated 13-year-old in the world a veto over whether I have fun playing the game." I don't see it that way myself -- if a friend hadn't talked me into rerolling on a carebear server years ago, I'd probably still be on PvP -- but it has truth in it nonetheless. If being killed (ganked, or chain-ganked, or camped) by an over-caffeinated 13-year-old is going to ruin your day, don't play on a PvP server, because that kind of thing happens there. Let them gank each other and play on a PvE server where you, not the server ruleset, determine when you engage in PvP.

In short: You have options. Deal with being on a PvP server. Buy a transfer to a PvE server. Roll a new toon on a PvE server. Or, of course, all the things that Blizzard (wrongly, IMO) claims will mitigate the problem, like getting friends to help you (or playing the AH to earn money, then hiring a private army). Notice that those options do not include "beg Blizzard to change the rules to the way I like them." That isn't on the table.
why not add a stacking "dishonorable Kill" debuff that is applied whenever you kill someone drastically below your level?

You mean like there used to be? Where you could go so far negative as to be hated by your own factions?

You see, Blizzard WANTS you to harrass lowbies. Because almost none will quit the game and a few will actually PAY BLIZZARD to escape the torture.

It's all a racket that Blizz isn't likely to fix anytime soon since they themselves broke it ages ago.
12/13/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Daxxarri
When I get to level cap and grab a few pieces of PvP gear, I'm going to eat your heart. As many times as it'll grow back

Got ganked for half an hour in hellfire peninsula by a rogue doing some rather horrible things to my corpse :( Each time I had an inner smile thinking exactly that quote. I have his name in my little ''black book'' of retributive justice :)
12/13/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Rhododendron
why not add a stacking "dishonorable Kill" debuff that is applied whenever you kill someone drastically below your level. It could increase the amount of honor gained for killing the ganker. Something like a bounty system to add an incentive to hunting down those who prey on the weak.

Now I like that idea!

I might actually go back to playing on a PvP server if they implemented something like that. I've always enjoyed killing grey-gankers, and getting an extra reward for doing so might be the tipping point.
12/13/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Daxxarri
why not add a stacking "dishonorable Kill" debuff that is applied whenever you kill someone drastically below your level. It could increase the amount of honor gained for killing the ganker. Something like a bounty system to add an incentive to hunting down those who prey on the weak.

That's an interesting idea, and we don't mind the idea of providing incentives (beyond faction pride) for high level players to get into PvP to protect their lower level compatriots.

The issue I see with systems like this is that they could be relatively easily gamed or exploited.

Yeah world pvp having rewards usually ends up having people trade killing each other.
12/13/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Astaldo
When I get to level cap and grab a few pieces of PvP gear, I'm going to eat your heart. As many times as it'll grow back

Got ganked for half an hour in hellfire peninsula by a rogue doing some rather horrible things to my corpse :( Each time I had an inner smile thinking exactly that quote. I have his name in my little ''black book'' of retributive justice :)

Adding a hit list to the UI that would work something like NPCScan that players could add names to and would then alert the player whenever they were in targeting proximity of their nemesis would go a long way to helping that vengeance along.
12/13/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Wanderer
You don't want PvP to interrupt your gameplay. You want PvP, in other words, on your terms and on your schedule. That's what PvE servers are for! There are many of them. Pick one you like and move there, or reroll there.

Where the hell do you get this idea?

Nobody in this thread or the ones like it are saying they don't want PvP to interrupt their gameplay. Hell, most want it to. Just not by some waste of space that would rather go around one-shotting them than competing for ore or herbs like a normal person.

PvP servers should encourage PvP in a fun an interesting way. Instead this game's PvP servers encourage flying around at 90 until you see someone just trying to level up and ruining their fun. I'm sorry but nothing about being ganked is fun (not counting getting on your max level toon for revenge, because not everyone has those).

12/13/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Daxxarri

That's an interesting idea, and we don't mind the idea of providing incentives (beyond faction pride) for high level players to get into PvP to protect their lower level compatriots.

The issue I see with systems like this is that they could be relatively easily gamed or exploited.

Then don't give rewards for killing gankers, just punish the gankers themselves. It's kinda hard to game a punishment system. Although you guys did such a fantastic job with the LFG /votekick I kinda don't want to see what you'd do with this.
Everytime I see one of these threads I'm gonna xfer to that server and gank that player until they quit the game.

The number of these QQQQQQ posts is getting ridiculous.
Everytime I see one of these threads I'm gonna xfer to that server and gank that player until they quit the game.

I'm sure Blizzard appreciates the effort.

Wait, did I say "effort"? I meant "money".
Well, if you want revenge on a Blue for whatever slight, go about murdering all the lowbies you can find.

They level in PvP dungeons...
What a coincidence! I got ganked a few times today too. Took most of my lunch hour, actually. You don't know who you are, but if you're reading this: When I get to level cap and grab a few pieces of PvP gear, I'm going to eat your heart. As many times as it'll grow back. ♥

How do you even bear getting ganked so much? Sometimes people will just gank you until you logout.

It depends. Sometimes I make a game of escaping, or if we're close enough in level that my abilities "stick" trying to CC my enemy so much that he finds it boring or annoying and leaves. Sometimes I fight back, despite the futility, because I'm like an adorable wolverine.

If I'm just not in the mood to deal with it, I queue for BGs or a dungeon while dead, then rez and accept the queue when it pops.

Like everything else in the game?

I'm sure Blizzard appreciates the effort.

Wait, did I say "effort"? I meant "money".

I'm sure ATVI does, after all, that is why they make games.
12/13/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Sometimes I fight back, despite the futility, because I'm like an adorable wolverine.

Disappoint. "Because Honey Badger" is better - made me laugh.

I agree, but it has connotations of inappropriate language, and I should be an example or whatever. =P
12/13/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Daxxarri

How do you even bear getting ganked so much? Sometimes people will just gank you until you logout.

It depends. Sometimes I make a game of escaping, or if we're close enough in level that my abilities "stick" trying to CC my enemy so much that he finds it boring or annoying and leaves. Sometimes I fight back, despite the futility, because I'm like an adorable wolverine.

If I'm just not in the mood to deal with it, I queue for BGs or a dungeon while dead, then rez and accept the queue when it pops.

I don't think people realize how fun this sort of gameplay can be. I had a 90 minute battle for an alliance rare spawn in Krasarang against a monk, my own faction and a few other gankers. I already have my brawler invite, but trying to figure out how to kill the mob, him and a few others got my blood pumping.

There was a lot of screaming and 2 minute res timers, but damnit, I was going to get that rare! My hunter friend ended up coming down and helping me out; after being stunned in his 200k damage move for another half hour, we eventually knocked him off his mount using a turtle shell and finished him off away from the rare, then took our prize while he ran to his body.
12/13/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Loor
In the end, this argument still basically comes down to "you give up playing the game you've played for 8 years so a lot of us can be jerks all the time".

Except said argument is not accurate.

The argument is that player versus player happened on a player versus player server, and you're complaining about it.

And that argument is being said by someone on a PVE realm. Someone who HAS rerolled.
12/13/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Daxxarri

I agree, but it has connotations of inappropriate language, and I should be an example or whatever. =P

Dax always keeping it real.Yeah I usually just tell people this is why you shoulda read your new player guide. I of course get no response and the thread sinks like bricks but hey :P
So, Blue response. Can we put this to bed now?