New to the Earthen Ring RP? Start Here!

Earthen Ring
1 2 3 6 Next
Updated: 07/25/17

Welcome to Earthen Ring!
Hey! This post is to help folks looking for a home on Earthen Ring to RP and find community. :)

The information below is as accurate and honest as it can be based on my observations and conversations with the RP community. There is a good chance I have something in error - but I'm trying. :)

I will be updating this periodically, so this can be somewhat current as the community changes. Do keep in mind that this information will change over time, so where activity may be sluggish or vibrant, it will shift as time goes on.

If this has been a help - help me get this stickied. :)

See below for the updated info for new folks - and good luck!
Earthen Ring Information - Updated July 25, 2017

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Realm Type: RP - Roleplaying (Player vs. Environment)

Cross Realm Zones: We share CRZs with the following on the Chicago Datacenter: Argent Dawn, Earthen Ring, Kirin Tor, Sentinels, Steamwheedle Cartel, The Scryers

Realm Age: Earthen Ring has been live since November, 2004 - Yeah, we're old. :)

Stats via Warcraft Realms (07/25/17)
Total Characters: 7,585
Total Alliance: 3,401 - 45%
Total Horde: 4,184 - 55%
A to H Ratio: 1 : 1.2
Activity Ratio: 1 : 1.4

Current RP Activity: Currently, we are seeing a decline in activity on both factions. This does not mean that RP is "dead" on Earthen Ring. During the year, there are shifts in activity due to many in-game and real life factors. Over the past few months, however, it's been on a decline.

There are scattered events still happening, though their frequency and attendance are varied. RP in the wild is also hit or miss - but getting into the RP community and RP guilds can increase the chance of finding folks. Right now it's just a bit harder to find RP, but it does happen and may pick up over time.

RP Community Overview: We have a diverse range of folks here in Earthen Ring. For the most part, we are a friendly and nice bunch of folks. You may encounter jerks (it happens), but overall, we are not too bad - whether you RP or not.

RP In-game OOC (out of character) Chat Channels
Alliance: /join ForTheAlliance
Horde: /join ForTheHorde

Both channels are primarily used for community support and RP coordination. Activity will vary, but they are there to support the RP community.

Note: We try to make both channels be as friendly and civil as possible. Chatter/activity will vary, but it's there to help. :)

Roleplaying "Peak" Times: Weekday peak times are 8 - 11 p.m. EST, but that is variable based on player gamestyle and schedule. Weekend peak times add additional activity in the early afternoon and evenings. (see Current RP Activity below)

RP Community Website: None active currently as of July 25, 2017.

Alliance/Horde RP Tendencies
Alliance RP: Roleplay can take place in a variety of locations for Alliance, which has a tendency to occupy places as hubs or roleplay in-the-field. Stormwind has seen some signs of life as of late.

Horde RP: As a whole, roleplaying Horde-side is event and character-driven in the “wild.” While there are no specific “hubs,” - however, it doesn’t mean someone can’t create one.

In general - RP begins with you. If you don’t see it, make it! :)
Finding Roleplaying and Roleplayers

Role-Playing Addons: For most roleplayers, it is suggested to look into using a rp "flagging" addon, found on the curse.com. Total RP 3 and My Roleplay are examples. What it does is it lets you make a roleplaying “profile” that others with similar addons can view. While it’s not a required addon for roleplaying, it can be a help in finding rp in the wild. It’s simple to set up and use, which is great.

Starting Steps: One way of getting to know your realm is check out its community. However, do take time with this. Some people expect 24/7 Hot and Cold running RP on a realm. Realistically, Earthen Ring is not one of those realms. But, we do have roleplay, so just because you do not see it in 15 minutes, do not write Earthen Ring off too early. Sometimes it does take time to find RP, much like any other RP realm.

In no particular order, here's some tips to check us out:

Making a character: Check out areas in character/or just visiting can be a good way to see what’s going on on Earthen Ring. Check out one of the events in game and meet some folks!

Use the chat channels: Check out the Alliance and Horde OOC (out of character) RP Chat Channels in game: ForTheAlliance and ForTheHorde. Channel activity will vary as some folks may not check their chat tabs as often as you would. But it is possible to get a good feel of the Horde and Alliance folks that RP, and tap into goings-on.

New to RP?
RP Made Simple: http://rpmadesimple.com
WoW forum edition!: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415795418
Thank you, Sullivan. Upvoted and stickied.

Help get this guy to the top, folks!
Sullivan's at it again. Being all helpful and resourceful. Liked and Stickied. Keep being awesome, Sulli.
Highly recommended, and bumping.
BUMP! For the STICKY!
I approve! Go go, Sullivan!
Very great work, Sullivan!
Let's get this stickied!
I believe this thread calls for a sticky!
Excellent post! Love to see this!
Pardon me, did someone call for a gnome in here?

Oh, how marvelous! Roleplay! Let me help bump this thread... HRRRRRRRRNNNNNNGH.

*attempts to lift thread and hold it above his head*

Higher!
Stickied. Upvoted. Now, what's left? *Sunglasses.* "OH YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHH!" *Fistbump.* Keep up the excellent work. BUMP IT!
Great post

/upboats and requests banana stickers
Great work, Sullivan! Lets keep this baby up top!
12/12/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Nothus
/upboats and requests banana stickers

...Upboats?
Bumpity bump bump, bumpity bump bump, look at the thread gooo~

In all seriousness, thanks for putting this together, Sulli!
Bump for the emprah... er... sticky!