Need help with headphones/speakers

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Whenever I plug my headphones into my computer, it basically overwrites my speakers.

I do not want them to do this.

When I plug my headphones in, instead of showing a new sound device it simply replaces the speakers on the menu. I am not unplugging the speakers.

Ideally I would like my game sounds and voip program to play through my headphones, and everything else come through my speakers.

How do I get this to work?
Ideally I would like my game sounds and voip program to play through my headphones, and everything else come through my speakers.How do I get this to work?

Control panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound, and select your speakers as the default device, then in game and in the voip program there should be a menu to select which device the sound plays from.

12/13/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Karma
When I plug my headphones in, instead of showing a new sound device it simply replaces the speakers on the menu. I am not unplugging the speakers.

For this i have no idea, only thing i can think of is downloading the device driver or reinstalling it.
Realtek audio? If so, go to Windows Control Panel & bring up the Realtek Audio Manger. There's a toggle setting in there that allows you to mute the rear audio device (speakers) when the front audio device (headphones) are plugged in or make the front & rear audio devices play 2 different audio streams, but you can't set it so both devices play the same audio (which is kinda lame). Re. the 2 different audio streams, for me it always plays game audio in my headphones & vent on my speakers...not quite how I would prefer...but you might be able to fiddle with WoW's audio settings & vent/VoIP settings to reverse that.
Realtek audio? If so, go to Windows Control Panel & bring up the Realtek Audio Manger. There's a toggle setting in there that allows you to mute the rear audio device (speakers) when the front audio device (headphones) are plugged in or make the front & rear audio devices play 2 different audio streams, but you can't set it so both devices play the same audio (which is kinda lame). Re. the 2 different audio streams, for me it always plays game audio in my headphones & vent on my speakers...not quite how I would prefer...but you might be able to fiddle with WoW's audio settings & vent/VoIP settings to reverse that.

This worked. Thank you so much.

n_n
12/13/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Drainbow

I tried this with Bluetooth Headphones but it doesn't work. Is there a work around for what i'm dealing with?
09/07/2016 08:40 PMPosted by Illuminatii
I tried this with Bluetooth Headphones but it doesn't work. Is there a work around for what i'm dealing with?

You're nearly 4 years too late.
Ignoring the time lapse for the moment....
09/07/2016 08:40 PMPosted by Illuminatii

No. Bluetooth headphones operate as their own audio device and, to the best of my knowledge (open to being wrong etc), there's no way to force a program to output to two separate audio devices at once. Maybe there's some kind of 3rd party software to do it but I've not heard of any, and because it's Bluetooth you can't even use a physical loopback cable.

The work-around in this thread, and other similar ones, only apply to two different output devices (eg Speakers and headphones) attached to a single audio device - not two separate audio devices.