TANK stone guard guide 10 man MV

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
i would like to point out that the MT and OT will switch during this fight depending on which one is petrifying
that means your OT might tank 2 for a phase, or your MT may tank 2 for a phase

OK SO YOU PULL

the one that is petrifying should be with the second one to charge the energy on them to 50%
(so if the one the off tank pulls that is alone starts to petrify, you need to switch him with one the mt has, so the one that is petrifying can be with another one and they will charge energy)

the tank with SINGLE ONE at 0% now taunts the petrifying one which is at 50%, and these two will charge up 50%, petrifying one will now hit 100% energy, overload, clearing the petrify

this tank now has one at 50% and one at 0% because it just overloaded, and the other tank has one at 50%

one that is at 50% now will start to petrify, it needs to be with the one at 0% (the one that DID just petrify)

SO TANKS HERES HOW YOU KNOW IF YOU NEED TO TAUNT

IF THE ONE AT 50% THAT IS WITH OFF TANK AND THE OTHER ONE STARTS TO PETRIFY, KEEP IT WITH THE ONE THAT JUST DID THAT HAS 0% ENERGY, !!!!DO NOT TAUNT EITHER MAIN TANK!!!

IF THE ONE AT 50% THAT IS WITH THE MAIN TANK STARTS TO PETRIFY, HE NEEDS TO TAUNT THE ONE WITH 0% ENERGY THAT JUST OVERLOADED

now that the one that is at 50% and petrifying is with another that is at 0%, they will charge both 50%, the petrifying one will overload and clear petrify

now you have one tank with one at 50%, and another tank with one at 50% and one that just overloaded (it was petrifying!) which is now 0%

one that is 50% now will start to petrify, it needs to be with the one at 0% (the one that DID just petrify)

IF THE ONE AT 50% THAT IS WITH THE TANK WITH TWO STARTS TO PETRIFY, KEEP IT WITH THE ONE THAT JUST DID, !!!!DO NOT TAUNT EITHER MAIN TANK!!!
IF THE ONE AT 50% THAT IS WITH THE TANK WHO HAD ONE DURING OVERLOAD STARTS TO PETRIFY, HE NEEDS TO TAUNT THE ONE WITH 0% ENERGY THAT JUST OVERLOADED

now that the one that is at 50% and petrifying is with another that is at 0%, they will charge both 50%, the petrifying one will overload and clear petrify

now you have one tank with one at 50%, and another tank with one at 50% and one that just overloaded (it was petrifying!) which is now 0%

long story short -

GET THE ONE THAT IS PETRIFYING WITH THE ONE AT 0%
you made this way more complicated than it actually is

after you get their energy staggered in the beginning, the MT just holds his 2 unless the one by itself activates, in which case the MT taunts that one and the OT taunts the one off of the MT that has more energy

or you can just way outgear the fight and tank all 3 of them on top of each other while your cleavers go balls deep and your healers faceroll on their tranqs

Blizzard will never be able to design a fight with mechanics you can't outgear, and that makes me sad

after you get their energy staggered in the beginning, the MT just holds his 2 unless the one by itself activates, in which case the MT taunts that one and the OT taunts the one off of the MT that has more energy

or you can just way outgear the fight and tank all 3 of them on top of each other while your cleavers go balls deep and your healers faceroll on their tranqs

Blizzard will never be able to design a fight with mechanics you can't outgear, and that makes me sad

They can design a fight that does that BUT.. they would have to do it with some kind of gear nerf mechanic. (ie like challenge modes do).

I don't think they will do that though.

Defile. Air Burst. You Die Now.

They could do it very simply. Can you outgear Ultraxion's Fading Light? Nah, you don't press your button, you're dead, regardless of how much health you have. They could make it so if a non-petrifying dog overloads its a similar, insta-kill mechanic.

I must say that having tanked this a couple times this is the hardest first boss in any expansion. All the stress is on the tanks, and the tanks have to learn how to juggle multiple things at once with only seconds to react and no room for error. I think Blizzard may have miscalculated its difficulty. Of course I'm sure players in top guilds will claim they found it extremely easy on their first attempt and one-shotted it effortlessly.
You still can't ignore mechanics for some of the H Firelands fights. And the ones you can, could be fixed by increasing the boss health.
12/12/2012 12:32 AMPosted by Slashlove

Defile. Air Burst. You Die Now.

Can't outgear falling through the floor on Elegon.
I must say that having tanked this a couple times this is the hardest first boss in any expansion. All the stress is on the tanks, and the tanks have to learn how to juggle multiple things at once with only seconds to react and no room for error. I think Blizzard may have miscalculated its difficulty. Of course I'm sure players in top guilds will claim they found it extremely easy on their first attempt and one-shotted it effortlessly.

"Learn how to juggle multiple things" is more of an indication that the tank is overcomplicating it the way the OP did, tbh.

When you boil it down, handling the Petrify mechanic comes down to "Do either one or two taunts 20 seconds into the pull, after that either taunt or do nothing every new Petrify". THere's one thing to juggle - Petrify happened, yes/no taunt?

The mention of "only seconds to react" is very strange. "Seconds" is a very large stretch of time for reaction - in the case of Stone Guards, every mechanic allows you for at least 4-5 seconds before bad things happen. If we were talking about 1-second reactions, that's possibly excessive, but are you actually suggesting that we need to get into 10-second level reaction times? I would question what a person who needs THAT long is even doing - raiding while frying?
The most easy way to do it like this

Lets say you have 2 tanks, Tank A and Tank B

To start off
Tank A - Tanks 2 dogs 1 that's petrifying and 1 other one
Tank B - Taunts the one that is petrifying over at 50 energy.

Now you just repeat this till the boss is dead
Tank with 2 dogs, looks to see if one of his dogs is petrifying
If yes then do nothing.
If no then tank with 1 dog taunts over the dog who just overloaded.
Thank you Zumi this is the exact strategy I wanted to use on my last attempt tanking this fight (on an alt of course). Well it would still take a few attempts to get the hang of it though. But after one wipe the raid leader declares this strategy will simply never work (he wouldn't explain why), and starts trying to get us to follow some strategy which I couldn't really follow at all. I was positive my original strategy would work if we just persisted, so I got so frustrated I ended up quitting.

Tank B - Taunts the one that is petrifying over at 50 energy.

Would this work? This is even simpler than the way I had envisioned it, which is where you'd look at the energy of the second dog (next to the petrifying one). But if you only have to concentrate on the petrifying one - quite simpler. Still take a few attempts to get the hang of, but doable.

The mention of "only seconds to react" is very strange.

I meant I found myself looking at the energy bars, looking at the dbm bars, looking at the nameplates in front of me to see which ones I'm tanking, and from all this trying to work out which ones should be taunted next, and who should taunt them, and calling it over vent. Overwhelming. I think this system Zumi described might work, if only I could find a group and another tank willing to try it.
Would this work? This is even simpler than the way I had envisioned it, which is where you'd look at the energy of the second dog (next to the petrifying one). But if you only have to concentrate on the petrifying one - quite simpler. Still take a few attempts to get the hang of, but doable.

The answer to that question is yes.

The difference is that you will have 2 tanks who will at various moments in the fight be tanking 2 Dogs at a time this way, and your melee will move across.

The alternative involves two simultaneous taunts, which means that 2 dogs will be on the same tank the entire fight, and melee don't move.

From a simplicity point of view they're both the same - except that one way you'll have tanks taunting half the time and the otherway you'll have one tank taunting half the time.
That there is a lot of un-outgearable fights in this tier is what I like. I like that even if my entire raid group is hanging out with an ilevel over 500, we'll still need to work Stone Guard mechanics. We'll still need people to rotate into Gara'jal's spirit world.

Keeps farm status encounters from being afk snoozefests.
12/12/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Slashlove

The answer to that question is yes.

The difference is that you will have 2 tanks who will at various moments in the fight be tanking 2 Dogs at a time this way, and your melee will move across.

The alternative involves two simultaneous taunts, which means that 2 dogs will be on the same tank the entire fight, and melee don't move.

From a simplicity point of view they're both the same - except that one way you'll have tanks taunting half the time and the otherway you'll have one tank taunting half the time.

^ This

Have you ever done the fight on heroic...I'd love to watch you try this and fail repeatedly.
Have you ever done the fight on heroic...I'd love to watch you try this and fail repeatedly.

He's clearly not talking about Heroic, and a tank who needs taunt mechanics explained to them isn't talking about Heroic either.