not a raider..... :(

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
01/03/2013 12:42 PMPosted by Kynsierra
I am posting this only to get opinions because it kinda stinks that to get the GOOD gear you have to raid to get it and I don't have time to join up and go raiding with groups.
You don't have to set foot in a raid to get items like Heartwarmer Medallion or Loop of the Shieldwall. How much better do you want your gear to be?
01/03/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Anastasiia
while getting gear on par with raiders.

and this I think was the biggest mistake blizz ever made - valor/rep gear should not be on par with raid drops.

people who don't raid, should have NO expectation of having gear on par with raiders

I definitely agree valor/rep gear being on par with raid gear is WoW's biggest mistake. The game was more fun with RNG gearing.

With non-RNG stuff now (for those of us who are non-heroic raiders), the game just feels like a checklist of chores instead of a game. With the predictability, it's just starting to feel like watching last year's Super Bowl when you already know who will win, by how much, and pretty much every play that will happen throughout the game. I know I'll do 200 dailies or 25 dungeons or whatever mix of VP content for 1.25 weeks for my 496 ring, then another 1.25 weeks for my 496 boots, etc. There's no game to it any more, it's just tracking a spreadsheet and making sure you keep up with your chores.
01/03/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Shaysu
I used to raid in this game for years, but I've grown out of it. I accept that I won't have top end gear as a result. It has no negative light behind it, and I don't wish that there were handouts as a result. I call it handouts because, as was mentioned, this is an MMO with MMO attributes.

This is quite a sensible comment coming from someone with a name like yours! :-)

By typical standards, sensible thoughts are looked at negatively (similar to most base logic). Therefore, the name is quite fitting lol. ;)
Many guilds raid twice a week for 3 hours a night. Surely you can spare 6 hours a week to raid. You probably spend that much time in LFR and 5-mans already.

If you look on the Guild Recruitment Forum you can probably find a guild that raids on a schedule that works for you.
While I have 6 hours a week, without question, there's no guilds on my server that raid when I happen to have that time slot open (keeping in mind it's six hours over the entirety of the week, not 3 and 3, more like 2 and 2 and 1 and 1....), accept that things like my wife and son come before raiding, AND are recruiting for DPS raid spots right now that I know of.

Believe me, I understand what you're saying, but it's a wee bit of an oversimplification. I suppose if I prioritized WoW a lot higher, then yeah, sure, but...well, there's more important stuff. And yes, I am okay with that, that's why they made LFR and Dailies and BMAH and BG (which I haven't even tried yet, even though I got an invite....so much to do...), and Treasure Hunting, and Transmoggin, and...and...and..damn, so much FUN! Anyway, all that cool stuff they m ade exactly for players just like me. How Cool Is That?
This is an MMORPG, you get out of it what you put into it, in terms of time. Mostly.

However, it's true that time spent on the most intricate, intensive group activities tends to be more rewarding than the same amount of time spent on more individual pursuits.

On the one hand, those activities tend to be more challenging, so it's reasonable that they pay more rewards. On the other hand, those with less "focus" time to commit do tend to get the short end of the stick.

The problem, is that an MMORPG serves many, and what is challenging to one player, is trivial to another. Designed challenges and the corresponding rewards MUST be designed with the aggressive player with large amounts of time in mind, or else those players will over-run those methods, and demand more content.

What might be a potential solution is some sort of self-limiting decision element with regard to reward payouts pushed down to the level of the individual player. Some kind of system where you could choose your reward path (which might well be more independent progression) but choosing one path, would limit your options on the others. Something like a talent system perhaps.
Why do you need 'top level gear' if you dont raid?
And yes, I am okay with that, that's why they made LFR and Dailies and BMAH and BG (which I haven't even tried yet, even though I got an invite....so much to do...), and Treasure Hunting, and Transmoggin, and...and...and..damn, so much FUN! Anyway, all that cool stuff they made exactly for players just like me. How Cool Is That?

Could not agree more. I have plenty of stuff to do... though I am still trying to recruit for and light a fire under the existing guildies for raiding, but we'll see how that goes :-)
If you're not a raider then why do you need top ilevel raid gear?
You never know what you might need!

And that is the story of why I have 2 netherweave bags full of lifeless skulls.
01/03/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Dako
But...why would you want the "good gear" if you are unable to, or have no intention, of raiding in it?
Why would you want an Aston Martin DB5 if you're going to keep it in the garage 364 days of the year? Hmmmm?
Hard earned money =/= 50 cents a day =/= Mom's money.

EDIT: Also, like i stated before, the Hunter class seems to lure the most idiotic entities to play it.
I'd love to make $1,000,000+ a year but only put in the effort my crap job involves .... never gonna happen nor should it. You want but you don't want to put forth any effort to get. The game is a time sink and you get back what you put in to it. And since you don't raid you have absolutely no use for raid gear. Raid gear for..... dailies?? You basically want to use a tank to hunt deer ..... pointless.
01/03/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Clottibby
You basically want to use a tank to hunt deer ..... pointless.
But, to be fair, kind of awesomely fun. (And anyone who says it's not is just selling something.... Using ICC gear to just utterly lay waste to Wrath dailies and "heroics" was a total gigglefest...)
If you want the top end gear then you have to do what is required to get that gear.Funny how that works, huh?
Yeah, considering that you can get 489 gear from just doing dailies.
Also: ITT, A grumpy casual who isn't getting it all (and totally ignoring all the awesome that IS there for him) and a bunch of butthurt "leet gamorz" all complaining at once. QUICK! Someone drop a trap on the tread!

{◕ ◡ ◕}
I don't care for arenas, BGs aren't what they used to be, and I suck at PvP. I have no need for the top of the line PvP gear. While I could take your line of reasoning and say "I don't PvP but I deserve top of the line PvP gear because I play the game." It doesn't really sound right. For what purpose would you need ilvl 500 raid gear if you aren't using it for its intended design?
this is just dumb, wanting the best gear without raiding for it...............

- . - U_U
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be to quest gear>dungeon gear>heroic dungeon gear>raid gear>heroic raid gear? And that doing group stuff was the ONLY way to get more powerful gear?

Also, can someone please explain to me how getting higher ilvl gear, but not doing anything with it is progressing your character? Always baffles me when people say, but I need to progress my character, but I can't! How is having any rewards without doing anything difficult accomplishing something? Isn't actually DOING something difficult the accomplishment?
01/03/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Habreberry
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be to quest gear>dungeon gear>heroic dungeon gear>raid gear>heroic raid gear? And that doing group stuff was the ONLY way to get more powerful gear?

Yep, exactly.

Also, can someone please explain to me how getting higher ilvl gear, but not doing anything with it is progressing your character? Always baffles me when people say, but I need to progress my character, but I can't! How is having any rewards without doing anything difficult accomplishing something? Isn't actually DOING something difficult the accomplishment?

Entitlement.
God bless LFR, 20 minute raids.
I am posting this only to get opinions because it kinda stinks that to get the GOOD gear you have to raid to get it and I don't have time to join up and go raiding with groups. really I am disgruntled because I pay my hard earned money just like everyone else and can't get the top gear. yes I have been playing for a while and I am working my way thru all the dailies to get the good gear and am close to ilvl 480 now but unless something changes will never see over 500 with the big boyz.... i wish there was a way we could get top PVE gear without raiding is my whole point..

it would be nice to achieve the "good stuff" without having to quit my career to have enough time to play and get it. on my realm you will spend no less than 1.5 hours to assemble a raid group and then get it done in without wiping 5 times...

HAPPY HUNTING "WARCRAFT RULES"

Hold on... If you are close to 480 or at around 485. I consider that top gear.

If you really mean top gear like 500 item level, then you won't reach it until the next LFR 5.2

Why worry about being top when you are casual?

I'm a boomkin with 482 item level. I am close to top in DPS in LFR on any boss fight. So to me that's top already.

It's like brand names, everyone wants the top brand. It's not necessary. People who are infatuated with top means they will work their butt off for it or hardcore. I been there... not worth it.

Just the way the world works.

Also understand that players with 505 item level or above is in the top 5% range of all Warcraft players.