Old Interactive Flash World Map!

General Discussion
The good old website, Good Memories
12/13/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Bashiok
Yeah! That map was cool. I don't think it got much traffic though. Having an updated map is one of those wishlist items, but the info is already out there on fansites and such, and even a lot of that info is in-game now compared to back then, not to mention quest flow and getting around is far more intuitive, so it's not a particularly high priority.

I primarily want to see a full Azeroth map from CDev with the current locations of things that are not yet in game such as Kul Tiras.
Omg, there's a forum post titled "I want to kill Pandas!!!". He must have known...

http://web.archive.org/web/20080219220045/http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=10001

I know, right? That front page of the forums could be from this week, lol.
Ahhh I used to use that map all the time when I was leveling! The music was epic. I really miss old world, I don't care about all of the things that made it tedious. I still really miss it. A lot of past WoW stuff I think 'that was fun at the time but I wouldn't want to go back'. But some of the old zones, I really would like to go back. Ah well.

I liked that stat thing too, that told us what the most deadly bosses were and stuff. Things like that made the website fun.
Can anyone find the old pvp web page? That thing was awesome
Pretty much every aspect of the old website was better, but ya, budget cuts
Ahhh I used to use that map all the time when I was leveling! The music was epic. I really miss old world, I don't care about all of the things that made it tedious. I still really miss it. A lot of past WoW stuff I think 'that was fun at the time but I wouldn't want to go back'. But some of the old zones, I really would like to go back. Ah well.

I liked that stat thing too, that told us what the most deadly bosses were and stuff. Things like that made the website fun.

I think that what they should do eventually - also what I thought they could've done/were doing for cataclysm's end with the Aspects' ancient function. - is a factory reset for the planet, maybe after every war is over. send the planet back to just after the Titans reformed it. Before the Sundering, and the curse of flesh. But leave the current factions in, perhaps not being reset due to being inside a Titan facility. Like a windows old file.

You know the Titans would have the magic-star-technology to accomplish this.

Pure full past time travel hasn't been done yet as a theme. And it could even have a butterfly effect, what do the horde and alliance, in a world untouched by war, demons, or old gods, do?

12/13/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Trygveseim
Pretty much every aspect of the old website was better, but ya, budget cuts

how do budget cuts explain a complete site revamp to work better for battle.net 2.0?
It's brilliant looking back over the topics in the old school forums. Amongst them I find:

• Petitions to fire the game devs (Chilton etc)
  • Requests for vanilla servers
  • Accusations that Blizzard is in support of gold farmers
  • Complaints Blizzard doesn't like shamans
  • WoW is dead threads
  • Yep - thats just how I remember them. Things never change.
    wow i never knew about this map. Very handy
    pretty cool to see what the old zones use to look like before cata.
    I would totally use that map all the time
    12/13/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Bashiok
    and even a lot of that info is in-game now compared to back then, not to mention quest flow and getting around is far more intuitive, so it's not a particularly high priority.
    now if only you could start doing that with your lore...
    Would it be possible to put thinks like a repair vendor icon or innkeeper icon in the in-game map?

I believe there are some addons that do that. If it were something a lot of people found useful I'm sure we'd considering adding it. We're fine with some options and additions being made available through addons and not as a core feature of the game.

I'd love to be able to see stuff like available daily quests on the world map - maybe with filters for different sets (i.e. - trade skills, specific factions, pet tamers, etc). The pet tamers especially can be hard to find if you don't remember exactly where they all are :P
    Ugh, the music and just the look of the old Azeroth makes me want to bring back those days so badly.
    Oh man I remember using that when I was a noob. I liked to look at all the maps for the zones I hadn't been to yet.
    I remember that map, though the archived version there is more advanced than the version I remember. Probably because I wasn't playing from shortly after the release of Ulduar to just before the release of patch 4.1.
    I remember Leaving that up just to listen to the great music while mindlesly leveling and playing with my guild and occasionally tabbing in to find my way around. Vanilla Had some awesome music.
    I remember that. the music when opening it was awesome. made my first few days of playing this game awesome when exploring where is what and such
    Omg, there's a forum post titled "I want to kill Pandas!!!". He must have known...

http://web.archive.org/web/20080219220045/http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=10001

Hehe... I saw the "I want to kill Pandas!!" post. Funny stuff. I found some "I quit" posts too.

The old forums should be required reading before posting here. Just so people have some perspective on what exactly their QQ means in the big picture.

I loved the old map. The music was awesome and clicking around on that brings back some memories. I never could remember which boats went where so I had that map bookmarked back in the day.