Any upcoming MMORPGs look good?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
A few upcoming MMO's I'm interested in:

ArcheAge
Elder Scrolls Online
Wildstar
Camelot Unchained

All have information on http://www.mmorpg.com/ if you would like more info.
Check out some of the F2P games out there. Most of the people who crap on them have obviously never played them very much. FFXIV might be good, but I'm not holding my breath. I was a big FFXI fan, but I am not convinced that FFXIV will be all that notable. SWTOR was a great game for me. I loved the hell out of that game. GW2 was really fun for like 2 weeks....and then I got bored. LoTRO was really fun for a while, too, but it failed to maintain my interest.

I've played too many MMOs to list here, but the only ones that have really grabbed me were FFXI, WoW and SWTOR.

I too loved SWTOR...until I reached the level cap. Then I quickly realized that there was almost no endgame PvE content. No dungeon finder is fine for leveling, but it really hurts when you're max level and have to spend hours trying to find a group. Coupling that with the fact that when you finish your class questline, it feels like the game is over anyway and you have a crippled game right from the start. (IMO)

I got to end game and beat the nightmare mode timed raids (for people who haven't played, that game has 3 levels of difficulty: Normal < Hard < Nightmare). I also got War Hero (PvP stuff) as soon as it was available. I played that game a whole lot, and I never really felt like I didn't have anything to do at end game.

Also, although I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me, I never missed not having a dungeon finder. I think that WoW's dungeon finder was a double-edged sword, and I was really happy to be back in a game that didn't have one. We had a nice server community, and I remember very well how things changed after WoW added LFD.

The convenience is nice and all, but sometimes in WoW, I feel like I'm just playing a lobby-based dungeon crawler with a crafting/exploration/pokemon minigame attached. Sometimes it feels like we might as well be playing with NPCs. I did think that the LFG tools could have been improved, but I didn't want a random dungeon finder like we have here. Forget that noise. Nothing against WoW (obviously there are things that I like about it or I wouldn't be here), but sometimes I'd like to play an MMORPG that actually feels like an MMORPG for a change.

I don't think it was ever true that there was no end-game in SWTOR. Since it launched, they've added new raids and warzones, and they've also added some neat legacy unlocks, as well as some new things for people who like to run space missions, among other things. So.....It's less true now than ever to say that there's no end-game. It's an MMO. They add new things to end-game as the game ages. Doesn't anyone remember how crappy WoW was when it first launched? I mean, come on.

I have always felt that it was extremely unfair and frustrating how some people seem to have the attitude that SWTOR sucks just because it's not WoW. That isn't fair. SWTOR is obviously very heavily influenced by WoW, as all new MMOs are, but we gamers should allow new games to be their own thing. We don't have to go all out with the WoW-ification of every single freaking new game that comes out. We don't need two WoWs.

Besides, this game has had almost a decade's head start on every other MMO out there right now. We don't need to turn every game into WoW. This is something that really bothers me about the "new" MMO crowd. They get so down on every game that isn't WoW. They don't even give these games a fair shake. It's sad. WoW has become the Call of Duty of MMO games. It's like the McDonald's of PC games.

Sorry to rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine. I have always thought this was a very weak argument that only served to show that the person using it didn't actually play SWTOR as much as they might have you think. SWTOR was -- by far -- the slickest, most polished and complete feeling MMORPG to come out in a long, long time, but the way some people dumped on it when it first came out, you'd almost think they were getting paid to do it or something.

Here on these forums, you'd see threads full of people saying that they hadn't played it and would never play it because it was crap. One person would mention that they were thinking of trying it, and 10 people would come dump on them to tell them how crappy it was, even though they had never even tried it. That's just crazy to me. You'd think it had beat up their dog or something. The mob mentality was pretty freaky.
Looking at Firefall myself. It looks pretty promising.
02/11/2013 11:09 PMPosted by Ramulus
I just signed up for ESO as well, it also told me that my application had an "above average" chance of being selected. I'm thinking that maybe they just tell that to everyone?

Mine didn't change from "average" to "above average" until I'd written like three or four paragraphs in the extra "why should be pick you" box. Let's be honest, most people aren't going to write an essay in there.
I have my sights on Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn & Elder Scrolls for now. Titan in the Future. Basically all the other games out there don't seem interesting to me.
12/31/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Padgagers
and some kind of vampire MMO called World of Darkness that allegedly features permanent death of your toon (not in a living undead way...as in "gone forever").

WoD is being developed by CCP, the company behind EVE Online. A major part of their game design is "The Sandbox". More than Blizzard they value players having the true freedom of choice in their games. Progress your characters how you want, without having to worry about being massively penalized for not playing the game the way they want you to play it. It's also means a well developed world PvP system, without manufactured/instanced PvP systems.

Don't expect it to come out any time soon, though. As it is still very early in development. I fully expect Blizzard to attempt a strategic release of content shortly after WoD's release. Just like they did with TERA and D3.
Wildstar looks intriguing. Sci-fi being kinda uncommon in MMRPGs and all. Still, it has some distressingly diku elements, but...intriguing.
I'm looking forward to Phantasy Star Online 2. I've played Online and Universe when I was growing up as a kid and looks rather interesting. When me and my wife get our computers upgraded, I'll push her into it with me.

Elder Scrolls Online is a keeper for me too.
02/15/2013 07:17 AMPosted by Lesanna
I'm looking forward to Phantasy Star Online 2.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd love to see it come to the PC this year as well, but...it's Sega, soooooooooo...who knows?

They can't even get a firm release date on the Vita version they've sworn up and down is coming to the US.
02/15/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Rashadril
I'd love to see it come to the PC this year as well, but...it's Sega, soooooooooo...who knows?

Yep, I know. It looks good but yeah...Sega.
I'm kind of trying to avoiding becoming as invested in breaking news as I have in the past, because I've spent too much spare time hunting for scoops on upcoming releases just to be underwhelmed.

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a more tangible iteration of TESO. FFXIV: A Realm Reborn is has me curious over its redemptive goals. I want to see how well these two games accomplish their objectives.

Archeage is something that comes in an out of focus. It's ambitious in scale but I've never been fond of sandbox online games, which is what all indications point to it trying to perfect. I lost interest in World of Darkness when I learned that player characters are limited to being vampires.
I definitely have my eye on Wildstar. The graphics are too cartoony for some people but I think they look great. There's the typical pick your faction, race and a class but they also have a thing called paths you can choose from. If you like exploring you can pick the explorer path where you scale mountains or burrow underground to find faster travel paths or hidden quests. There isn't much info yet on their crafting system, but there are these sort of 'ore monsters' which can randomly spawn when you are mining an ore node. Some are simple to kill, some are harder and spawn minor adds. These random spawning ore monsters could eventually become just an annoyance, but it is an interesting concept.

Official website is here if anyone wants to read up on it
http://www.wildstar-online.com

The other two games I'm looking in to are ArcheAge and of course Elder Scrolls Online
I've stopped following upcoming games as much as I used to since I am already firmly entrenched in WoW and GW2, and also have been dabbling with Path of Exile and the Marvel Heroes beta. Too many games, not enough time. Buuuuut...

Neverwinter has my attention. Normally the lack of character customization and simplified gameplay would turn me away, but the Foundry (player generated content) system has potential. Plus they recently unveiled their payment model, 100% free and only cosmetic/convenience items in the store.
GW2 is a very good game - and SWTOR is more of a financial disappointment. If there was no WoW everyone would think that game was awesome..

If you spend your time waiting around for the next big thing to come out that blows people away you waste alot of time. There will always be haters. The next big game is TITAN, IMHO. Let's hope Blizzard can come through. Diablo III was underwhelming..
Wildstar looks so freakingly amazing good.
Since Neverwinter was handed off to cryptic studios during dev, I have a bad feeling. I hope I am wrong though.

Honestly I have yet to find anything as good as WoW, even though it's getting old for me. I've tried GW2, SWTOR, F2P games. Nothing stands up.

Planetside 2 is F2P and the biggest in the mmofps genre, that I am aware of atm.
02/24/2013 05:22 AMPosted by Piggìe

it dose look good but it's NCSoft and I don't feel like getting the rug yanked out from under me again.
02/24/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Drakmor

it dose look good but it's NCSoft and I don't feel like getting the rug yanked out from under me again.

You go where the fun is--or might be, in this case.

Not particularly thrilled with NCSoft myself, but you can be glad it's not Nexon. Worst case, if I only get a year or two out of it, I'll still be relatively pleased in the investment--it is F2P, after all...
Wildstar looks really good to me. Personally I think the concept and mechanics will be the game's selling point but the lore itself is lacking, but I think that'll be easily fixed.