Dual Specialization

New Player Help and Guides
Hi friend,

Can you explain me what is Dual Specialization? Does it have consequences?
Dual specialization allows you to have 2 separate specs. You can switch specs when you are out combat. For example, I am dual specced as a disc and shadow priest. I can switch to shadow for damage, or stay disc for healing. For your monk you could dual spec and play brewmaster or mistweaver, if you ever wanted to try out healing or tanking.

There is no disadvantage for dual speccing. It just gives you more options for how to play the game.
The only downside:

Depending on what class you are and the specs you choose, having to keep two sets of gear current.

Dual-speccing doesn't allow you to have the benefits and detriments of both specs at the same time. Say, for example, you dual-spec Brewmaster and Mistweaver.

When you are in your Brewmaster spec you have all of the abilities any other Brewmaster would have, and ONLY those abilities. Your brewmaster will get power through the agility on your items, you'll be able to throw kegs and spew fiery booze just like any other brewmaster. You'll only be able to heal about as well as any other Brewmaster (very poorly). Which is why you have the other spec, for situations where you want to heal.

When you are in your Mistweaver spec, you'll have all of the abilities any other mistweaver would have, and ONLY those abilities. You'll be able to completely fulfill the duties of the healing role, your healing will be increased by the amount of intellect and spirit you have on your items. You'll only be able to tank about as well as any other Mistweaver (very poorly). Which is why you have the other spec, for situations where you want to tank.

When you switch between them, it's a complete transformation, at least until the next time you decide to switch again.
If I go for Windwalker & Brewmaster, will I need two sets of gears? Do you think it's better to go without Dual Spec?
You will need to sets of gear to be effective in both roles.

It's a convenient thing to have if you think you will ever perform the other role.
If I go for Windwalker & Brewmaster, will I need two sets of gears? Do you think it's better to go without Dual Spec?

Windwalker (DPS) and Brewmaster (tank) both use agility leather. Their secondary stats are a bit different, but you won't be horribly gimped wearing the gear for one while in the other role.

At least that's the case until you get to the higher levels (around level 80 or so), at that point you'll want to start accumulating enough gear for two complete sets, one with tanking secondary stats (dodge & parry, expertise, hit) and one with DPS secondary stats (haste and crit, expertise and hit).

If you have no interest in ever playing the second spec, then it's basically just going to be you spending 10g for a feature you won't use. It won't hurt you to have it, but if you're not going to use it then you don't need it.
, one with tanking secondary stats (dodge & parry, expertise, hit)

I'm just going to clarify here. Monks are weird as tanks... This is their stat priority
Stamina > Agility > Expertise (15%) > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Crit >= Haste > Parry > Dodge > Mastery

Additonally with the 5.0 and beyond changes things like haste and crit have gone up considerably in the usefullness for all tanks.

Lastly don't feel bad if you have trouble finding dodge and parry on your leather gear. Before this expansion druids were the only non plate tanks and as any raid without a holy paladin will tell you having only one spec in the entire game use a piece of gear doesn't work well. so rogues and feral druids (now feral and guardians) typically shared gear until tier sets with tanking bonuses.
Thank you for your advices.

It does sound a bit too complicated to me, so I'll stick to one spec at a time. I want to do a Brewmaster though, but I think I will simply do another toon later.
It's easier to have two specs on one character than maintaing two characters. Right now you can ignore the stat priorities and use the same gear for Windwalker and Brewmaster while you're leveling. Later on when the game gets more complex, you'll be able to maintain two different sets of gear for the two specs more easily. Pick up dual spec from the class trainer - you'll get it at some point eventually anyway - and poke around the UI for it. All it does is toggle between two sets of talents/glyphs/bars in the UI. That's really it.
01/07/2013 09:29 PMPosted by Jilixx
Monks are weird as tanks

tank: "I throw my beer at you!"
mob: "You waste beer! We fight now!"
01/08/2013 08:21 AMPosted by Aggrothis
Where can I get duel spec for my DK? Sorry for the thread jack :x

I think you have to get that from Ebon Hold.
At least that's the case until you get to the higher levels (around level 80 or so), at that point you'll want to start accumulating enough gear for two complete sets, one with tanking secondary stats (dodge & parry, expertise, hit) and one with DPS secondary stats (haste and crit, expertise and hit).

You're thinking of plate tanks. Leather gear doesn't have dodge or parry on it at all, and haste (monks) or crit (druids) are actually strong defensive stats, much better than dodge or parry. Agility jewelry and cloaks also don't have dodge or parry, and using a non-primary stat item is worse than using a primary stat item (plus "DPS" stats are usually better for leather tanks). Weapons don't vary either, you will use the same one for tanking or DPS. The only thing you might switch before level cap is trinkets, though it's not entirely vital.

Once you get to the point where you're enchanting, gemming, and reforging, you end up needing two complete sets because the stat priorities are different, but you only need to worry about that kind of small optimization at level cap when you start heroics and raids, not while leveling.

If you don't believe me about stats, have a look at
http://www.icy-veins.com/brewmaster-monk-wow-pve-tank-statistics-priority-reforging
http://www.icy-veins.com/guardian-druid-wow-pve-tank-statistics-priority-reforging

Dual spec is good if you use it, but you'll more than likely use it more at higher lvl, I only duel spec on my druid, I DPS for PVE with it but in PVP I heal. Before dual spec you'd have to pay gold to re-spec, it kind of got costly to do so. I'd say if your just starting out you should focus on one spec and try to get good at it (if your happy with that spec) then play around with the 2nd spec once you get comfortable with the first one.

and yes you'll have to gear out each spec to preform that spec's duty, And some people get mad when you spec as a DPS and need roll on tank gear even if you 2nd spec is tanking so you'll have to face the haters out there if when you try to get gear for that 2nd spec.
Which would be better to duel spec, Brewmster/Mistweaver or Brewmaster/Windwalker? I would really like to tank but I may be no good at it so which one should I rely on if I am bad at Brewmaster?
For leveling Id say brew/mist just for the ease of queue times. But brewmaster is my fav spec so just work at it and you'll luv it I'm sure
But try creating new threads instead of bringing back old ones in the future (;
10/14/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Shuakua
Which would be better to duel spec, Brewmster/Mistweaver or Brewmaster/Windwalker?

Windwalker is the DPS spec and will use pretty much the same gear, Mistweaver is the healing spec and uses Intellect/Spirit gear.

I think Brewmaster is still fine for questing (keep meaning to get back to my monks), but if tanking doesn't work out decide whether or not you want to heal in dungeons and carry around two sets of gear.
I have dual specialization on a lot of my toons. Even this rogue, which is a damage-only class, has two different specializations, because sometimes combat works for particular encounters better than assassination.

Nothing bad happens to you if you purchase dual spec. The annoying things are keeping two sets of gear and keeping both sets current. And that's just in PvE content. Throw PvP into the mix and then you're in for one heck of a ride! ;P

A little bit of advice, though. If you decide to pick up tanking or healing as your off-spec, have friends and/or guildies go with you so you can practice and not worry too much about random people in dungeons getting angry. This way you'll gain the confidence and skill you need in a safe, patient environment.