Smelting Living Steel

Professions
Why don't smelters also have a 24-hour living steel CD?
I think the OP understands that, they're asking WHY?
Adding some play between the professions, which I think is a good thing for the economy.

It has been this way since vanilla. Metal users have always had to rely on alchemists to an extent...or at the least the AH.
Titansteel was the ONLY exception.
I understand crafting profession inter-dependencies and their value as this is an MMO. But, why is it that the high level blacksmith patterns require 3 professions, the leather working's require 2 and tailoring pretty much only needs tailoring?
Tailoring only needs cloth basically, and they can farm that as they quest along with the other mats needed for the higher level products.
Don't know about Leatherworking as I don't really have experience at high levels with one.
Blacksmiths need Alchemists as we create a metal that is not something obtainable in a natural way. Its even easier for us to create the Trillium as we don't need two different types just the ghost iron bars. (Yes I am an Alchemist).
01/20/2013 01:07 PMPosted by Saraphina
I understand crafting profession inter-dependencies and their value as this is an MMO. But, why is it that the high level blacksmith patterns require 3 professions, the leather working's require 2 and tailoring pretty much only needs tailoring?

The tradeoff with tailoring is that what it needs is bop. Where a blacksmith can hit up multiple scribes or the AH to get what they need to make high end armor, tailors rely on only themselves and are limited by time (or SoH). I prefer what BS deals with to what tailoring does, and I use both regularly.

Other trades do not *need* other professions as the AH is always an option. Again, good for the economy. Honestly I think alchs need that little boost.
01/17/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Positron

Next exception - 5.2 - Lightning Steel Ingots, once per day CD
01/20/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Twixaroo

If I'm not mistaken, the items made with the Ingots are BoP, so it's a bit of a different animal imo.

Other than it's Blacksmiths who make them this time, since they're linked to learning the special plans to make all of the old weaponsmithing items (You can tell they're from the lightning forge because they have ", Reborn" at the end of their names)

Don't even need mining this time.
01/20/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Consortium

The tradeoff with tailoring is that what it needs is bop. Where a blacksmith can hit up multiple scribes or the AH to get what they need to make high end armor, tailors rely on only themselves and are limited by time (or SoH). I prefer what BS deals with to what tailoring does, and I use both regularly.

Other trades do not *need* other professions as the AH is always an option. Again, good for the economy. Honestly I think alchs need that little boost.

Not sure what you are talking about with smiths needing scribes. As far as the not needing other professions, I think you are mistaken. there isn't a magic living steel factory putting that stuff on the AH. It is coming from an alchemist. So, yes we NEED the alchemist and the miner for our mats.

I also have all three as far as convenience goes I think tailor has it. They can farm for all their mats without having to ever hit up the AH for mats. Next would be the LW since they can pick up skinning and get their mats (as long as they aren't wanting to make mail very fast). With smith having to deal with 2 others.
engineers also use quite a bit of living steel, but I have an alchemist. Actually the first time i needed 4 LS i purchased them because my alt was too low level. Since then I've made quite a few to sell and recently needed 4 more for bling 4000 robot (or whatever he is called).

First, we Blacksmiths can ONLY make 1 lightning steel per day, no exceptions. no spirit of harmony loophole like other professions get.

Second. EVERY pattern we can make with lightning steel ALSO requires living steel, so we are still forced to rely on alchemists to get our gear. This is in my opinion outright ridiculous. I think that miners should be able to smelt Living steel, even if it is once per day, even if we have to use a combination of ghost iron and trillium. It just sucks that I have to keep going to an alchemist to get an essential ingredient for my gear. It's not like I don't have to farm the spirits of harmony just like everyone else.

I can only hope that GC goes through with his possible plans, and gives us a 3rd and 4th profession slot. then I can give my warrior alchemy and herbalism, and I will no longer have to keep paying alchemists.
Or make the Mysterious Ingot that is dropped by Itoka give a daily turn in at the Thunder Forge to give a bonus Lightning Steel Ingot after you have completed the original quest.

That would be the quickest and easiest way to help out BS's.