Inquisition's 30 second cap?

Paladin
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
01/19/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Thermadin
Clearly you lack pvp experience when you think the only job a rogue does is damage.

Is it a hybrid? No. Is it a healer? No. Then its a pure DPS spec. Just because they have smoke bomb, it doesnt turn them into a hybrid or healer, does it?

The funny thing is that you ignored my whole comment, just to pick in that particularly line to imply that all I talk is non-sense. Way to go, just got to the ignored list.
edit: you win, Inq needs to change, it's way too hard to manage and any good player can see that, I might even reroll because it's just too much work tracking it
ah, yes, now this is more like it. Screw that class and it's annoying buff tracking. Surv is where its at boii serpent sting allllll the things
01/15/2013 11:45 PMPosted by Thermadin
NOTHING IS WRONG WITH IT STOP MAKING THREADS

Try playing a class that actually requires you to manage things... Like enhance for instance...

How many stacks of searing flames
How many stacks of maelstrom
Is flame shock up
Is earth shock debuff up
Are my totems down

All of which have shorter durations than inq.....
Try playing a class that actually requires you to manage things... Like enhance for instance...

Is flame shock up
Is earth shock debuff up
Are my totems down

you mean before or after enh at one point was a 14 priority spec?
also hi ^_~
01/20/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Thermadin
it's way too hard to manage and any good player can see that, I might even reroll because it's just too much work tracking it

Oh, sarcasm. Another cliché way to avoid using arguments; how am I not surprised?

01/16/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Syros
Thats the problem, its not *entirely* rebuffing it, specially in PvE, is costing Holy Power that we would otherwise use to do damage or heal, both really needed considering how much we depend on TV/WoG.

01/16/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Syros
And although it is easy to maintain it while raiding (did I ever said it wasnt?), it costs too much resource for PvP

01/16/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Syros
I dont even know why people come up with the easy talk or complexity talk. Its nothing about that.

01/18/2013 08:03 PMPosted by Syros
I'm not saying its "too difficult to rebuff Inquisition and ffs make it EASIER!!11", but the OP proposal isnt even gonna make it 'easier' in the sense of need to rebuff it/manage your HP

01/19/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Syros
Its just complexity for complexity' sake, because ret its probably the easiest class to play; therefore bad design. And again, it has nothing to do with making it easier, but less of a boring mechanic. Removing GDC wouldnt make it easier, only remove the stress of it not buffing because you just used an attack spell and the GDC isnt gone yet (and to avoid losing a GDC to just rebuff it), you would still need to keep track on it and needing to rebuff it at every 30s - the whole "difficulty" of the spell.

I think people around here already suggest a lot of different ways to make it less annoying and unfun, which it is. If you want to look at is just by the "difficulty spectrum", then I cant stop you. I also dont see any problem that those suggestions may cause, so why are you really against it? Its a QoL change, by any ways you look at it that wont interfere negatively in any scenario.

Do you even read my posts? Srsly..

Is flame shock up
Is earth shock debuff up
Are my totems down

I get where you are coming from I know it isn't the hardest thing to manage. But then surely you must know what I mean? Wouldn't you like a bit more control, rather than the reverse?
01/20/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Syros
Thats the problem, its not *entirely* rebuffing it, specially in PvE, is costing Holy Power that we would otherwise use to do damage or heal, both really needed considering how much we depend on TV/WoG.

3 HP every 30 seconds (1 minute if you're bad) is really not the end of the world in PvP or PvE. Considering the amount of damage it's going to give you over those 30 seconds (Hint, More than the one templar's verdict would have given you, I'd say it's a pretty good use of holy power.

And although it is easy to maintain it while raiding (did I ever said it wasnt?), it costs too much resource for PvP

In what way is 3 Holy Power "Too much" in PvP? Hell you could get away with just a 2 HP (which can be generated at range via judge and exorcism) Inq and still be ok for 20 seconds, by which time you will have hopefully produced enough holy power to refresh it.

'm not saying its "too difficult to rebuff Inquisition and ffs make it EASIER!!11", but the OP proposal isnt even gonna make it 'easier' in the sense of need to rebuff it/manage your HP

I see no reason to go in and "fix" what isn't broken. Why does it need to change there really isn't anything wrong with the mechanic already, what's so bad about just refreshing it every 30 seconds compared to refreshing it twice every minute. All this change would do is waste time while the devs adjust Inq to the exact same use per minute that it currently is and frankly that's just plain stupid.

but less of a boring mechanic. Removing GDC wouldnt make it easier, only remove the stress of it not buffing because you just used an attack spell and the GDC isnt gone yet (and to avoid losing a GDC to just rebuff it), you would still need to keep track on it and needing to rebuff it at every 30s - the whole "difficulty" of the spell.

If you don't find it fun now, you won't find it fun just because it's off the gcd. If you are stressed out about it now (lolwut?) you will be stressed out about it when it's off the gcd. You probably won't be able to tell the difference and if you press your Inq directly after an ability and it's not on the gcd there is even a chance the server won't put it up at the proper duration due to latency. I can see that change causing actual problems of some form of "Clipping" holy power. It's useless complications to a perfectly functional ability, so stop crying that it needs "fixing".

Is flame shock up
Is earth shock debuff up
Are my totems down

I get where you are coming from I know it isn't the hardest thing to manage. But then surely you must know what I mean? Wouldn't you like a bit more control, rather than the reverse?

Instead of looking at the class as "I must be putting out massive dps at all times constantly" look at the redesign of the class this expansion, they have made it more interesting to play, you have more tools to use, you don't HAVE to be on the offensive at all times trying for the kill, you can assist, peel, cc, off heal or pop inq and go hard at someone given the situation... Just prioritise...

If I want to go hard at someone off the bat ill judge then inq while I'm gap closing with long arm that gives me 10 seconds of inq to play with while I get rolling... If you have taken divine purpose a lot of the time it will proc off that inq and you can TV off the bat or inq for your full 30 second buff which may proc DP again... Inq doesn't HAVE to be up, you build your assault then use it when you have them on the defensive

The problem may not be with the mechanic but with your approach, they have re designed ret, in my opinion its the most fun its ever been.. so you have to adapt and adjust the way you play it.... ?

However this is just my opinion, I'm not having a go at you in any way... Just my opinion
01/20/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Hardcast
The problem may not be with the mechanic but with your approach, they have re designed ret, in my opinion its the most fun its ever been.. so you have to adapt and adjust the way you play it.... ?

I agree with you, it is vastly improved since the Cata day's of waiting for years to actually do something. And I know that we have a lot of utility and I try to use that when possible but lately as a ret if I try to get into RBG's people would rather me as Holy (Which is why I have gone to PvE as a ret) because even though we have that utility there are far better options... but I digress.

In normal BG's i try to help player's but feel that I waste time on a large number of people as they don't play objective or they waste my time. Let's be honest you either win or lose in battle grounds one person can't make a huge difference... So I would rather be able to kill FC's more efficiently and the such.

But I agree that there are far bigger problems in the game I just thought that I would see what the paladin community thought of that... 'Tweak' to inquisition. And the more I see argue for or against the clearer it is you either work with inquisition as best you can or you hate it and want it completely redesigned.
@Lumierre, let me clarify some things first: I dont hate Inquisition and I certainly dont think it is broken. It may seems like, but this is called exaggeration. And I'm only using it to make my points more clear; not as an excuse to imply it needs massive buffs/changes.

3 HP every 30 seconds (1 minute if you're bad) is really not the end of the world in PvP or PvE. Considering the amount of damage it's going to give you over those 30 seconds (Hint, More than the one templar's verdict would have given you, I'd say it's a pretty good use of holy power.

It's not, I never said it is (specially in PvE). But its not so black and white as well, who says here that in PvP you will be able to use it on an extend long enough to be better, damage wise, than a single TV, every single time? With the amount of CC and how we are easily kitted around, I wouldnt be so sure. And again, who says that you wont be needing a emergency-WoG in that time? Or even a TV considering certain situations? In PvE its obvious how Inquisition is no.1 priority, but its not all the time in PvP. This isnt a problem though; and most of time Inquisition would be a gain over TV.

In what way is 3 Holy Power "Too much" in PvP? Hell you could get away with just a 2 HP (which can be generated at range via judge and exorcism) Inq and still be ok for 20 seconds, by which time you will have hopefully produced enough holy power to refresh it.

It depends on how you look at it. Considering our damage (and the way it is oriented, i.e. burst with TV being a big part of it) and survivability (and again, the way it is oriented, healing with WoG being a big part of with) and our total performance in PvP, 3 HP can be too much, but you would still buff it because of how mandatory it is, even if in that particularly situation a TV or a WoG would be better. But my point wasnt even on HP usage (I never said it should have a bigger uptime per HP or something similar either), but in all we have to do to keep Inquisition 100% of the time IN PVP. It is easy on PvE where you dont even need to pay attention to a lot of different things, but try it on competitive BGs and you know what I'm talking about.

But again, is not such a big problem. That is where removing the GDC would be slightly beneficial. It gives you more flexibility to use with 1 or 2 HP if you dont necessary need 20-30s of Inquisition; but in case you do need, you wont feel 'cheated'; since it wouldnt interfere your normal rotation.

I see no reason to go in and "fix" what isn't broken. Why does it need to change there really isn't anything wrong with the mechanic already, what's so bad about just refreshing it every 30 seconds compared to refreshing it twice every minute. All this change would do is waste time while the devs adjust Inq to the exact same use per minute that it currently is and frankly that's just plain stupid.

No one is saying it is broken. We are saying that it isnt fun the way it is, and you cant deny it isnt. Removing GDC wouldnt make it fun however, but it will make it more bearable in certain situations, since it will be more consistently applied, is one less thing to worry about when we are trying to put pressure on the target and keep an eye on debuffs, buffs, health, other enemies, other friendlies, supporting etc. etc..

Making a cap to 1min, at least in my view, gives you more options. I'm not in range to do a TV and I dont need to heal myself, why not buffing Inquisition again? It does break anything, doesnt make anything OP or easier, but gives you more options than having to wait it goes down to 1-3s to rebuff it again (and I dont see this changing with the 5.2 fix). No one is asking for huge makeover.

And like I said, it wouldnt make it such a fun mechanic by just removing its GDC; but it gives you flexibility, options and the frustration of having to press it multiple times when you are trying to kill someone in PvP. It is a small change and wont break anything like you imply it would, that will have a good use.
01/21/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Syros
It's not, I never said it is (specially in PvE). But its not so black and white as well, who says here that in PvP you will be able to use it on an extend long enough to be better, damage wise, than a single TV, every single time? With the amount of CC and how we are easily kitted around, I wouldnt be so sure. And again, who says that you wont be needing a emergency-WoG in that time? Or even a TV considering certain situations? In PvE its obvious how Inquisition is no.1 priority, but its not all the time in PvP. This isnt a problem though; and most of time Inquisition would be a gain over TV.

This is what makes things fun to play in PvP, making quick decisions and outplaying other people. I'd say that Inquisition actually adds to the fun here, rather than just mindlessly mashing damaging abilities or heals, you have to know and decide when to put up Inq and make good use of it.

It depends on how you look at it. Considering our damage (and the way it is oriented, i.e. burst with TV being a big part of it) and survivability (and again, the way it is oriented, healing with WoG being a big part of with) and our total performance in PvP, 3 HP can be too much, but you would still buff it because of how mandatory it is, even if in that particularly situation a TV or a WoG would be better. But my point wasnt even on HP usage (I never said it should have a bigger uptime per HP or something similar either), but in all we have to do to keep Inquisition 100% of the time IN PVP. It is easy on PvE where you dont even need to pay attention to a lot of different things, but try it on competitive BGs and you know what I'm talking about.

Again what I'm reading here is that you just don't want to make decisions and mindlessly mash damage buttons. That's great and all, but it makes for lousy gameplay. Inquisition is something that separates good rets from bad rets, and that's not something that needs to be removed. Inquisition is a fun mechanic to me in PvP because again, It's a choice, do I heal, or do I TV and go for a kill, or do I know that I won't get the kill and just Inq to put up more pressure. 100% uptime is not always the goal in PvP.

But again, is not such a big problem. That is where removing the GDC would be slightly beneficial. It gives you more flexibility to use with 1 or 2 HP if you dont necessary need 20-30s of Inquisition; but in case you do need, you wont feel 'cheated'; since it wouldnt interfere your normal rotation.

Ret doesn't really have a whole ton of buttons to press in the normal rotation anyway, why are we worried about inquisition "interfering"? It's not really interfering in the first place.

Making a cap to 1min, at least in my view, gives you more options. I'm not in range to do a TV and I dont need to heal myself, why not buffing Inquisition again? It does break anything, doesnt make anything OP or easier, but gives you more options than having to wait it goes down to 1-3s to rebuff it again (and I dont see this changing with the 5.2 fix). No one is asking for huge makeover.

In what situation especially in PvP are you going to have the holy power to get even close to a 1 minute Inquisition? If you buff it once to 30 then you probably don't have the holy power to buff it further, and if you do, why do you need to? Why not just use it on a WoG, TV, or save it for the next fight, all much better uses. This doesn't actually help anything to change the cap to 1 minute.

And like I said, it wouldnt make it such a fun mechanic by just removing its GDC; but it gives you flexibility, options and the frustration of having to press it multiple times when you are trying to kill someone in PvP. It is a small change and wont break anything like you imply it would, that will have a good use.

Inquisition is a fine mechanic, I actually think it's pretty fun in PvP, and it at least adds another button in PvE. It's use requires at least some level of skill, and mechanically it works well, so why are we either making it something that functionally only makes it less effective (taking it off the gcd is a bad idea, It only amounts to causing weird clips with Holy power and awkward things with the rest of the rotation. What are you trying to use it in between other than like an Exo and CS where it really doesn't intrude by taking up a gcd.) or something that we already have a glyph for (and a consequence, like it should be).
Inq is a pretty crap mechanic.
At leats in pve you're almost always on target and generating HP. In pvp, where Ret healing and damage area already not great, it doesn't feel fun to waste 3 hp on a crap mechanic.

Not that anything said in this forum is really going to make a difference.
Inq is a pretty crap mechanic.
At leats in pve you're almost always on target and generating HP. In pvp, where Ret healing and damage area already not great, it doesn't feel fun to waste 3 hp on a crap mechanic.

Because mindlessly mashing the same 3 buttons without anything even requiring the slightest bit of attention is a much more fun rotation right? Care to elaborate at all on why this mechanic is so "crap"?
My PvE Ret spec's gear isn't the best, but I did run some numbers on a dummy.

With Inquisition up for practically the whole time, 30% of my damage was Holy. I can only imagine that Inquisition gives a Paladin at most 20% more damage for 30 seconds... which is of course significant for a single button push (it's like an Avenging Wrath when I think about it). I'm sure the numbers are different in PvP, but not too different.

The question is whether Inquisition is a good mechanic or not. I find part of the culprit concerning it being difficult to track or build up is the fact that all of our abilities have a cooldown, which means we can't spam Sinister Strike until we reach 5 combo points. We're always checking which ability is ready or about to become ready. Crusader Strike, Judgement, or Exorcism? Do I have 5 Holy Power (so I don't waste them)? If no ability is going to be ready in the next 2 seconds or I'm at 5 Holy Power, then I use Templar's Verdict.

I can only guess how much harder this process is in PvP, since you also have to worry about all the tools your enemy(ies) has and could use at any moment. To those of us that have trouble multi-tasking after the first 5 things to monitor, Inquisition seems like another layer to this onion that makes us want to cry.

Of course, maybe we could just learn to multi-task better. That would take some serious work and dedication. And once we do, we become better people. I think offering a high skill cap works in Blizzard's favor once people start trying harder.

Although having Inquisition add to its own duration like an Affliction Warlock's Pandemic is certainly intriguing. If they did that, though, they'd probably also have to do it to other maintenance skills, like Slice and Dice and Savage Roar... which we know can't happen with the way the current Glyph of Savagery operates.
01/19/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Thermadin
Every Ret should be using it, if you're not, you're bad, end of story....you don't need an addon to track it, look at your buffs ._.

You don't need any add ons but chances are you're using some. And unless someone is using a tracker, or something that modifies the UI, it's going to be a PITA to find the time left on Inq during combat - even more so when you have different buffs being added or ending.
01/21/2013 08:28 PMPosted by Lumierre
you have to know and decide when to put up Inq and make good use of it.

How removing GDC will imply that this changes? It would actually be more challenging considering that now a 1HP inqui wouldnt feel a DPS loss anymore, since its out of the GDC; making more options to choose; "do I need 20s or can I risk a 10s inqui and use the extra HP to heal/do damage?"; we cant afford to risk an extra GDC and be a psych. You would still need to consider if a TV or a WoG would be better (even though Inqui is more consistently and will be a big boost in almost all situations; considering out of range to apply CS/TV - all the rest is pure holy damage).

01/21/2013 08:28 PMPosted by Lumierre
Again what I'm reading here is that you just don't want to make decisions and mindlessly mash damage buttons.

How's that? We cant afford the luxury to stack haste in PvP; a GDC IS a big deal. And I do not want to smash buttons, thats why I want it of the GDC, so I wouldnt be worried that if it didnt buff, I wont be needing to smash my keyboard to apply it - because again, I will be trying to put as much pressure as I can on the target. We just cant afford to lose time in PvP to time everything extremely precisely; not in a BG with 5 players around you, at least. And again, removing its GDC wouldnt affect nothing more.

Is the same reason as to why Divine Shield should be off the GDC. We will be trying to interrupt, cc, heal etc., to avoid dying, DS is a last resort and if it is on the GDC it isnt consistently anymore. Although Inqui isnt a last resort skill, it is mandatory for a good sustained damage and it should be consistently applied; removing it off the GDC would make it slightly more bearable to use.

Ret doesn't really have a whole ton of buttons to press in the normal rotation anyway, why are we worried about inquisition "interfering"? It's not really interfering in the first place.

Well, if you keeping buffing 1 HP inqui, thats one more button to smash at every 10s. Having to track, weigh and buff it, is enough IMO.

In what situation especially in PvP are you going to have the holy power to get even close to a 1 minute Inquisition? If you buff it once to 30 then you probably don't have the holy power to buff it further, and if you do, why do you need to? Why not just use it on a WoG, TV, or save it for the next fight, all much better uses. This doesn't actually help anything to change the cap to 1 minute.

Many times in a BG and arena, the battles would last for more than 30s. Again, more options. "Do I need to buff it again to ~55s or the battle will be over by ~30s and buffing it just one time would be enough?". It would also keep you from waiting it go down to 1-3s and not feeling like you are wasting HP (again, very important in PvP), so you can keep using 1 HP inqui if you dont necessary need that 1 HP right now and also making not so obligatory to use an addon to keep tracking it. I'm just trying to add more options on how and where to use 1-3 HP Inquisition.

Inquisition is a fine mechanic, I actually think it's pretty fun in PvP, and it at least adds another button in PvE. It's use requires at least some level of skill, and mechanically it works well, so why are we either making it something that functionally only makes it less effective (taking it off the gcd is a bad idea, It only amounts to causing weird clips with Holy power and awkward things with the rest of the rotation. What are you trying to use it in between other than like an Exo and CS where it really doesn't intrude by taking up a gcd.) or something that we already have a glyph for (and a consequence, like it should be).

I agree that it is subjective, but how removing it off from the GDC would make it a crappy mechanic that you would no longer find fun to use? I say that, because a lot of players already demonstrate that they dont like it; are you more important than them? It doesnt works well mechanically, and even Blizzard is aware of that (not talking about GDC or cap here); otherwise they wouldnt be fixing its bug. Is not a bad idea (not even mine to begin with) - not saying it is a good one either, but inventing that it would cause problems with clipping HP (lol?) or that it would make our rotation awkward (really? How?) by removing its GDC is bad argumentation though, pure speculative and without any evidence.
01/22/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Syros
How removing GDC will imply that this changes? It would actually be more challenging considering that now a 1HP inqui wouldnt feel a DPS loss anymore, since its out of the GDC; making more options to choose; "do I need 20s or can I risk a 10s inqui and use the extra HP to heal/do damage?"; we cant afford to risk an extra GDC and be a psych. You would still need to consider if a TV or a WoG would be better (even though Inqui is more consistently and will be a big boost in almost all situations; considering out of range to apply CS/TV - all the rest is pure holy damage).

You don't have to give anything up if it's off the GCD, You can toss an instant FoL (with selfless healer) or a crusader strike and get the benefit of both damage and inq or healing and inq. It doesn't make it any more challenging, it just makes it clunky. You're putting far too much value on this "Extra GCD" you think taking Inq off of will make. With the amount of things on cooldowns currently in the rotation, you will have free gcds anyway and nothing to hit.

Also, you can just smash your HP generators back to back and keep buffing 1 HP inquisitions until you get up to a reasonable number, thus eliminating any real decision or skill in using the ability, sure you won't get a TV or WoG in there, but at the beginning of the fight you probably don't need one.

How's that? We cant afford the luxury to stack haste in PvP; a GDC IS a big deal. And I do not want to smash buttons, thats why I want it of the GDC, so I wouldnt be worried that if it didnt buff, I wont be needing to smash my keyboard to apply it - because again, I will be trying to put as much pressure as I can on the target.

Low haste means longer cooldowns on your HP generating abilities, which means even more free time to use Inquisition and if you're mashing your button waiting for the gcd then PEBCAK, because I do just fine pressing it after the gcd and not having to mahs it. If you are "Trying to put as much pressure as you can" on the target then you are probably hitting them with TVs and don't have the HP to even care if you need to use Inquisition.

Well, if you keeping buffing 1 HP inqui, thats one more button to smash at every 10s. Having to track, weigh and buff it, is enough IMO.

Who only buffs inquisition at 1 HP? A 1 HP inquisition is just something you do in order to build up more HP to put up a longer one, or to get some extra damage on the 1-2 TVs you can put out in that time, It's a choice, it requires skill and thought. Do I use a 10s inq, can I get a kill in there or do I blow my HP on a longer one next because the fight will last longer? It's really not hard to "track, weigh, and buff it" at all.

Many times in a BG and arena, the battles would last for more than 30s. Again, more options. "Do I need to buff it again to ~55s or the battle will be over by ~30s and buffing it just one time would be enough?".

You won't have the holy power to do this unless you stockpile 5 and then buff straight to 50, but that's 5 attacks that you just lost 30% extra holy damage on. If the fight is going to last longer than 30 seconds anyway then you should plan accordingly and stockpile some HP to rebuff inquisition, which is again a skill and a choice.

It would also keep you from waiting it go down to 1-3s and not feeling like you are wasting HP (again, very important in PvP), so you can keep using 1 HP inqui if you dont necessary need that 1 HP right now and also making not so obligatory to use an addon to keep tracking it. I'm just trying to add more options on how and where to use 1-3 HP Inquisition.

How the glob is it wasting holy power? Are you just sitting on 5 HP waiting for inq to fall off saying "Boy, I sure wish I could do damage with this, but my buff wears off in 20 seconds!".

You don't need addons to track inquisition, I don't use one when I'm playing on my laptop (which is a significant portion of my playtime) and I still do fine.

It doesnt works well mechanically, and even Blizzard is aware of that (not talking about GDC or cap here); otherwise they wouldnt be fixing its bug

What exactly doesn't work well mechanically about it? It seems fine to me and plenty of other players.

Is not a bad idea (not even mine to begin with) - not saying it is a good one either, but inventing that it would cause problems with clipping HP (lol?) or that it would make our rotation awkward (really? How?) by removing its GDC is bad argumentation though, pure speculative and without any evidence.

What if you have divine purpose and accidentally waste it because you hit your Inquisition button one too many times (Clipping HP) or you press it too early and the server doesn't recognize properly and puts up a 2 HP inq instead of a 3, I suppose you could just tack on that extra one, but that's just unnecessary at that point when you could just not make any changes to a perfectly functional ability and be fine. Things could also get weird with Holy avenger. Latency is a thing, why change a mechanic to be more punishing due to it.

In the amount of time it takes your brain to recognize you have 3 HP after a crusader strike and press inquisition is going to be approximately the same time as the current global cooldown. This is how the human brain functions and is a fact. The only time it wouldn't be almost exactly the same as it is now is when you plan on using it at the same time as another HP generating ability, in which case you have now just used your HP and have open GCDs which ret already has plenty of, thus making the rotation more awkward, having nothing to do during global cooldowns feels much stranger than having to actually use an ability.