Why Can't Game Masters Tell Us About Banned..

Customer Support
01/18/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Kneanderthal
If my name had gained PR for being a bot yes.

That is your opinion not shared by many other people who play this game. It really does not matter what the name of the toon is that got banned for botting.

Why do you care anyways? If you have a suggestion then post it in the appropriate forum where the developers can look at your suggestion and take it under consideration.

That forum would be General.

Someone redirected it.
01/18/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Kneanderthal
That forum would be General.
I have a feeling this thread was moved from General, Knea.

*waves to the General peeps*

Keep it civil folks, and welcome to the CS Forums.
01/18/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Mælstromedes

So, lets say you have had your account for 6 or 7 years and everyone knew you for those 6 ot 7 years by that name. Then, one day, you are hacked and used to bot, and Blizzard tells everyone that you are a bot.

Even with a name change, people will still know that it's you. There are sites that track such things by achievements, gear, and the like. Now, not only have you lost the name that you love and are known by, but you are also a scumbag botter that everyone hates.

I have seen some bots botting for days on end and I will ask about them in general chat and get a flood of responses saying that yes people have reported them. It's not a question of if that name gains bad PR or not. Blizz doesn't have to tell everyone your a bot by word of mouth over the long period of time that name was botting it will have gained PR as a bot.

To sum what I said up at least make a name change optional then. PR might occur differently server to server.
The main reason is that you DO NOT need to know. That is solely between Blizzard and the person who's account it was. In other words, None of your business!

To sum what I said up at least make a name change optional then. PR might occur differently server to server.

Mælstromedes, I hate to tell you, the devs don't come here for feedback, nor can the SFAs forward the suggestion.

The CS forums are fine for discussing current policy, but if you want Blizzard to make changes to its policy, you will have to post where they can see the feedback.

As of now, due to privacy and legal concerns, they will not tell you the results or actions of an investigation. You are gonna have to live with that.
01/18/2013 07:04 PMPosted by Flatspriest
The main reason is that you DO NOT need to know. That is solely between Blizzard and the person who's account it was.

To be specific I'm speaking of accounts that are automated from start to finish.
01/18/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Mælstromedes
The main reason is that you DO NOT need to know. That is solely between Blizzard and the person who's account it was.

To be specific I'm speaking of accounts that are automated from start to finish.
That still doesn't matter since it is none of your business. It is still between the account holder and Blizzard.

That still doesn't matter since it is none of your business. It is still between the account holder and Blizzard.

An automated software controlled account does not have an account holder. Accounts that have actual human beings as account holders is different. A software program is a inanimate object not capable of being an account holder.

For an account to have a account holder someone must exists with a legit valid name address e.c.t.. Automated Programs do not have such credentials.

An automated software controlled account does not have an account holder. Accounts that have actual human beings as account holders is different. A software program is a inanimate object not capable of being an account holder.
So, you are saying that nobody set up the account? That it couldn't be a compromised account that someone in another country might be using for nefarious deeds? Someone set the account up so it is their account, and anything done is between that person and Blizzard. Get over yourself as you are not special and have no right to know anything that Blizzard does or doesn't do to someone elses account.

So, you are saying that nobody set up the account? That it couldn't be a compromised account that someone in another country might be using for nefarious deeds? Someone set the account up so it is their account, and anything done is between that person and Blizzard. Get over yourself as you are not special and have no right to know anything that Blizzard does or doesn't do to someone elses account.

Once again ill restate what I'm referring to in the post your quoting I'm speaking of automated accounts not compromised accounts. You are referring to the side of the line which I am not addressing because blizzard already has it covered.

Automated accounts do exist and are used to fuel the gold trade. The accounts made by the gold trade which are automated from lvl 1-90 and on are automated accounts. Hackers don't wanna get caught so they would never use their valid name because it could be traced back to them and they could hand the gold trade controllers info right on over to blizz if they gave their actual identity on the account.
01/18/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Mælstromedes
I'm speaking of automated accounts not compromised accounts.

There's no such thing as an "automated account". There are accounts that have been hacked, then used for botting.

These thieves do NOT pay for accounts to be setup. They steal them and then violate the rules on them.
01/18/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Mælstromedes
Once again ill restate what I'm referring to in the post your quoting I'm speaking of automated accounts not compromised accounts.

I think you may misunderstand as well. There really aren't any "automated accounts". The majority of the exploitative behavior is done on compromised accounts.

Regardless, the fact remains is we do not provide that type of information regarding another account.

Once again ill restate what I'm referring to in the post your quoting I'm speaking of automated accounts not compromised accounts. You are referring to the side of the line which I am not addressing because blizzard already has it covered.
Since you don't seem to understand, the point of the matter is that any action taken on ANY account is solely between Blizzard and the name that was used to create that account. You do not need to know anything about any other account.
Mælstromedes, I'm not sure if you know how botting works. There is no such thing as a Automated Account. Either the account is compromised or the owner does it willingly. There is no software or program that sets up and creates new accounts to bot by themselves. If you find one that does, send an email here to hacks@blizzard.com

But like we have been saying, Due to Privacy and Legal concerns, Blizzard will not tell you the action of an investigation. It really none of your business.
And another potential issue is that by knowing which account got banned, and when(ish), the bot-handler may be able to use that information to determine how they got caught, and make adjustments to the botting software.

Which would make it harder for Blizzard to stop them.
01/18/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Mælstromedes

Would you be willing to give up the name of a character that you are attached to and have used for year and all of your friends knew you by?

Why would they add multiple steps to this process for no reason? An account gets compromised and used to bot, Blizzard yells from the high heavens that <Player A> is a bot? Account user comes back, and Blizzard is obligated to give them a name change?

Why? If they don't disclose the actions, then they don't have to: a) inform you of the action, and b) provide a free name change, which just complicates the account recovery process.

And all of that, just to give you information that will be rendered inaccurate when the account is recovered by the registered user?
Mælstromedes, I'm not sure if you know how botting works. There is no such thing as a Automated Account. Either the account is compromised or the owner does it willingly. There is no software or program that sets up and creates new accounts to bot by themselves. If you find one that does, send an email here to hacks@blizzard.com

But like we have been saying, Due to Privacy and Legal concerns, Blizzard will not tell you the action of an investigation. It really none of your business.

So what your saying is no one in the gold trade have opened accounts just to speed level the characters up and use them for botting? Alright ill accept that because I don't wanna go round and round all day on the subject. I've been told of some websites and know some things that contradict that belief but ill bite my tonge.

Why would they add multiple steps to this process for no reason? An account gets compromised and used to bot, Blizzard yells from the high heavens that <Player A> is a bot? Account user comes back, and Blizzard is obligated to give them a name change?

Why? If they don't disclose the actions, then they don't have to: a) inform you of the action, and b) provide a free name change, which just complicates the account recovery process.

And all of that, just to give you information that will be rendered inaccurate when the account is recovered by the registered user?

Your overlooking prior posts in which I address how blizz doesn't have to yell to the high heavens the amount of time the botting account is present advertises to the masses that the player is botting. Issue is you can tell if its a compromised account or just someone botting because they're lazy. All that time they are present botting people talk between each other saying report so and so he's a bot and then that spreads over the zone and realm even farther the longer the bot is present.
Maelstromedes, the point is, it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS what Blizzard does with accounts it actions.