So...

General Discussion
I was watching Zombieland the other day (for the first time since I started playing WoW).

At the beginning of the movie, it shows Columbus playing Wow, and as I was busy online while it was on I was only half paying attention to it.

And yet, just from hearing the sound effects, I could tell he was playing a rogue. Is it bad that I can identify the class just based of the SFX?
Is it bad to be familier with something you enjoy? I know guys who can tell what kind of car I drive just by the sound of the engine rumbling. Is that sad?
The stealthing sound effect is pretty recognizable.

Especially if you're cloth in a bg, hunter pets making that noise still freak me out a little
Well I figured it out cause he was spamming FoK.

01/09/2013 11:12 AMPosted by Dalaron
Is it bad to be familier with something you enjoy? I know guys who can tell what kind of car I drive just by the sound of the engine rumbling. Is that sad?

I guess this is true
I used to be pretty good at putting my hand on a computer and telling you what was wrong with it... basically you get used to the proper sound(feel) of the fans, including the 'big fans' and the cpu fan, or even the power supply one. If something was really off or rattling, that's obvious... but you could also pick up on more subtle things like if the hard drive was swapping needlessly.

Humans are pretty awesome in being able to tell all kinds of things just by sound.
I can identify paladins by the sounds.

Sometime over the summer I was in a pug DS run. The offtank didn't speak much English, and I don't think he understood that we needed him to be dps for the fight, not tank. In the middle of the fight, I notice that I'm hearing the sounds of Shield of the Righteous, and I think "wait, the tank is a DK, why am I hearing that?" And then I realized that the offtank was dpsing in prot...
I used to be pretty good at putting my hand on a computer and telling you what was wrong with it... basically you get used to the proper sound(feel) of the fans, including the 'big fans' and the cpu fan, or even the power supply one. If something was really off or rattling, that's obvious... but you could also pick up on more subtle things like if the hard drive was swapping needlessly.

Humans are pretty awesome in being able to tell all kinds of things just by sound.

I suppose, I was just a lil embaressed cause I mentioned it to my friend who was watching it with me and they started raggin on me about it xD
I was watching Zombieland the other day (for the first time since I started playing WoW).

At the beginning of the movie, it shows Columbus playing Wow, and as I was busy online while it was on I was only half paying attention to it.

And yet, just from hearing the sound effects, I could tell he was playing a rogue. Is it bad that I can identify the class just based of the SFX?

My father worked for an airline. I got very good at identifying specific planes and logos. I can identify a lot of car logos as well since both my father and brother were into cars. I can listen to just a couple of notes to some songs and know exactly which one it is. The human brain is amazing machine capable of cataloging massive amounts of information. It's not bad that your brain is working well. And as someone else said, identifying a sound from something you enjoy isn't a bad thing.
I main a Dk. throughout mid-late cata where rogues were very strong--all the while being a hard counter to my class, and representation for them was way up in the 2200-2400 bracket, I learned to hate the sound of garrote and kidney shot.
01/09/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Turleb
I main a Dk. throughout mid-late cata where rogues were very strong--all the while being a hard counter to my class, and representation for them was way up in the 2200-2400 bracket, I learned to hate the sound of garrote and kidney shot.

Idk why but I love the sound of kidney shot, even when it's being used on me xD
Another example would be if he was watching a movie or reading a book that you were familiar with. Recognition is not an embarrassing event generally. The only way it can be is if you find the content to be. Have some pride in the hobbies you partake in and others may not reflect so negatively on it. Within boundary of course... crimes may not be something to be so proud of.
Iirc he was doing WotLK content while he was playing. Do you think he was fighting zombies too?

Also I've noticed that some convenience stores use the Sonic ring collect sound when they ring things up at the register.
01/09/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Protoss
Iirc he was doing WotLK content while he was playing. Do you think he was fighting zombies too?

In my mind it was during the WOTLK launch event. Just cause it'd be perfect.
I used to have a friend who knew some games so well that he could tell you exactly what you needed to do based on the music that was playing.
01/09/2013 11:27 AMPosted by Karat
I used to have a friend who knew some games so well that he could tell you exactly what you needed to do based on the music that was playing.

That's kinda epic O.o
There was this crappy Christian Slater TV show that featured the resident computer nerd guy doing the bombing run daily on Quel'danas.
01/09/2013 11:17 AMPosted by Nethaera
My father worked for an airline. I got very good at identifying specific planes and logos. I can identify a lot of car logos as well since both my father and brother were into cars. I can listen to just a couple of notes to some songs and know exactly which one it is. The human brain is amazing machine capable of cataloging massive amounts of information. It's not bad that your brain is working well. And as someone else said, identifying a sound from something you enjoy isn't a bad thing.

Close friend is the same with planes. Amazes me how she's able to correctly identify each and every one, just by engine noise alone.