Linksys EA4500 Problems with lag spikes

Technical Support
I was wondering if anyone else runs this router and if they are experiencing the same issues I am. I randomly get lag spikes where I can run around in game just fine but everyone else is running in place, my abilities do not work, and suddenly everything fast-forwards.

I have tried every fix I can think of for this from forwarding ports, enabling QOS to my PCs MAC Address, Adjusting MTU Values, Disabling Firewalls. I can't live without a router in my house as internet is shared between multiple users. These spikes come at any random time even if I am the only person online.
Discolock

Have you tested the connection without the router to ensure that the lag spikes are definitely router related?

This only applies if your issues are via WiFi:
I can tell you that they are prone to overheating issues if you do not have it ventilated well. If this is the case, internally, it will get hot enough that the signal will start to drop over time. It affects the e-series moreso than than the ea-series though, but they are designed in a similar way.

Anyhow some important factors you need to look at:
- is the guest network enabled?
- what is the speed/bandwidth of your connection
- how many devices are using the router at the same time
- are your issues experienced on WiFi or via ethernet connection (wired)
- if via wired connection, have you tried with another ethernet cord, and different port
- if on WiFi which band are you utilizing of 2.4/5GHz
- "g" or "n"
- distance from router
01/14/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Irishmars
if on WiFi which band are you utilizing of 2.4/5GHz

This would most likely be the cause.
Alot of scanners your local fire and police use are upgraded into the GHz range and can interfere with WiFi now when they talk over it.
Just change channels until you locate one that has little or no use in your area.

I had to do this with mine at that time.
I actually got yelled at once due to my router interfering over their scanners as they patrolled the town around my street they got an ear full of static.
I had no idea they where that close in frequency.
This only applies if your issues are via WiFi:
I can tell you that they are prone to overheating issues if you do not have it ventilated well. If this is the case, internally, it will get hot enough that the signal will start to drop over time. It affects the e-series moreso than than the ea-series though, but they are designed in a similar way.

Anyhow some important factors you need to look at:
- is the guest network enabled?
- what is the speed/bandwidth of your connection
- how many devices are using the router at the same time
- are your issues experienced on WiFi or via ethernet connection (wired)
- if via wired connection, have you tried with another ethernet cord, and different port
- if on WiFi which band are you utilizing of 2.4/5GHz
- "g" or "n"
- distance from router

01/14/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Dahca
if on WiFi which band are you utilizing of 2.4/5GHz

This would most likely be the cause.
Alot of scanners your local fire and police use are upgraded into the GHz range and can interfere with WiFi now when they talk over it.
Just change channels until you locate one that has little or no use in your area.

I had to do this with mine at that time.
I actually got yelled at once due to my router interfering over their scanners as they patrolled the town around my street they got an ear full of static.
I had no idea they where that close in frequency.

- True, the 2.4 GHz band is commonly used in virtually all wireless devices, and 5 GHz is not, a-la the appeal of dual-band routers. However, unlike 2.4GHz, 5GHz cannot travel through walls or over distances as easily because of its larger size.

- Also, there is a known issue with all routers, not just Linksys, having prioritization issues when the guest network is enabled. The Linksys can sometimes have a tendency to literally split the power available, especially if both the main and guest network are dual-band enabled.

- "N" is faster than "G" and has greater capabilities. However, if the WLAN card is a "G" card it is not utilizing the "N" connection to its fullest potential. On the flipside, if "N" is not enabled and one has a "N" card (and they are not using custom firmware) then that needs to be addressed.

- Speed/bandwidth as well as possible throttling is relevant information. A 5 mpbs down and 1 mbps up connection is not good enough to use multiple WiFi devices and play computer games at the same time for example.

- Who and what is using the router is always important information. If someone is watching Netflix on WiFi and you are playing WoW on the WiFi and you don't have an above average connection, then you will probably have lag. An "average" connection is roughly the range of 10 mpbs down and 3 mbps up - 15 mbps down and 5 mbps up. Speedtests will generally yield similar albeit different results because of a multitude of factors, but if that's what you pay for, it should at least be close.

- As already eluded to, distance on WiFi makes a huge difference in relation to the connection paid for, the number of people on the network, and tasks being attempted.

- If the WiFi works fine, but the Wired does not, then there could be an issue with the ethernet cord and/or port. If moving the cord to another port alleviates the issue, then the port is probably at fault.

- There are other factors that may be causing issues such as the WLAN card for example, but for now, check these things and see if they help.
I do not use WiFI to game. I am hardwired into the router. There are typically 4 devices using Wifi none of which are used for gaming.

There are 2 other gaming PCs that use the router both of which experience the same "everyone running in place and fastwording" lag spikes.

I have had this problem since August. I have the same issue hardwired into the Modem as I have tested this. My ISP is Timewarner (NC RR)

I have contacted my ISP several times and they claim the issue isn't on there end and my connection is fine. They went on to say that if there is an issue it must be with my hardware. They blamed my network card, I explained 3 of my gaming PCs all use different cards from Marvell, Intel, and Broadcomm. They blamed the router so I removed it still had the same spikes.
What type of modem do you have? Many modems can be configured and you can check the status of the modem.

You also did not state the speed of your connection or alternatively, confirm the level of it to ensure it can handle all of those multiple uses.

Did you check with different ethernet cords as well, like all wires they can get damaged. Depending on your connection level, the cord could be out of date if it is less than a Cat5e cable.

Also, I'd look into the firewalls being used:
- by the computer(s)
- by the router
- by the modem

- Check the firmware version: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/EA4500

- If none of this yields any results, I recommend a reset back to factory defaults and then re-introducing the firmware back to where it was stable.
I am going to shamelessly bump this thread because I am having the same issue. If I plug my laptop directly into the modem I'm fine but with the router I get major lag spikes. I just bought this router and my old one did not do this. I read all of the posts above, but none of them actually fixed the problem.

Any ideas?