RP Addons

Emerald Dream
So after my initial investigation into the realm of RP Addons, I found that people were using Total RP2 more than MRP or FlagRSP. I wanted to use them all so that I could participate across the board but found that through some sort of addition to the LUA files, they don't work well together.

That being said, with 5.2 on the way and the fact that TRP2 has zero support at the moment, it's safe to say that TRP2 may not work after the new patch comes out. So will people be making the transition to another addon or will you stay with TRP2 through it's bugs?

Trying to decide what I should do. I love the fact that I can change my "name" for those who use TRP2 (not sure if MRP or FlagRSP offer this) and I love reading people's backstories that I come across and don't want to lose this ability.

So what are your thoughts?
Do any of the other add-ons have the ability to talk as an NPC? That was always the clincher for me. Bugged stash points and player made quests never really made it very far.
You can have both trp2 and mrp on your account without them interfering with one another, I think. And usually the only things that gets buggered when the new patch comes out is the language feature, which doesn't really bother me too much.
01/10/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Feleth
Do any of the other add-ons have the ability to talk as an NPC? That was always the clincher for me. Bugged stash points and player made quests never really made it very far.

TotalRP2 (which is no longer being supported - hoping someone starts development on it again soon) allows you to speak as an NPC. Neither of the other two do, as far as I know.

01/10/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Buttunz
You can have both trp2 and mrp on your account without them interfering with one another, I think. And usually the only things that gets buggered when the new patch comes out is the language feature, which doesn't really bother me too much.

I had them both installed but they both use "MSP" which I believe is some sort of library or something. Anyhow, it always says that TotalRP2 turns it off if MRP is installed. I don't know what it does, so I don't know if it's an issue or not.
MSP is the Mary-Sue Protocol, which is the tongue-in-cheek name of the protocol that all of the popular RP add-ons (MRP, TRP2, FlagRSP, et cetera) use to communicate with each-other. TotalRP2 (and its cousin add-ons) won't be severely affected by any patch unless the aforementioned patches add new languages, races, or classes to the game. The only thing that sucks is that until development is picked up by another person, you won't have more fun stuff like icons to play with. That's really it.

The reason one will turn off if you're running both is because it would severely screw up your ability to find other RP profiles/be found at all. You'll still be able to see MRP/TRP2 profiles regardless of which one you're running because they all communicate with each other- the one you run just dictates what information you see and how it's presented to you.
Thanks for the clarification, Zeert. I figured there was no reason to run multiples.

However, I do notice bugs with TRP2. I actually get error messages through swatter due to portions of it failing or failure to interact with other things (like the default map).

I hope someone picks it up in the near future because it really is a terrific add on!
Really? I haven't gotten any errors since the last update. Maybe something is corrupted with yours.
I've actually redone my UI several times at this point and it still has bad interactions. I have no idea what causes it. I'll have to look into it further. Sadly, not so hot with LUA, so I can only figure out so much. I'm sure it's another addon that it must be conflicting with.
Really the best part is finding other people with the mod, then stealthing around and having NPCs suddenly start talking to them as they look around going wtf. As long as you aren't a richard about it.
01/11/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Feleth
Really the best part is finding other people with the mod, then stealthing around and having NPCs suddenly start talking to them as they look around going wtf. As long as you aren't a richard about it.

((Oh dude, that's genius and I'm ashamed I never thought of doing that before. Totally stealing it now though.))
Yeah Poor Ol' Gravy in the Wyvern's Tail would complain about his job to anyone who'd listen.
God I wish someone would make a mod like that in TSW.
I downloaded TRP2, but the "Addons" button doesn't show up on the character select screen. Is that because TRP2 isn't supported for 5.2? Are there any other addons that enable things like customs quests, documents, etc.?
Back when I healed, Total RP 2 really screwed up with tooltips. If I moused over someone, it would occasionally put the tooltip over the entire raid frames, instead of on the bottom right corner. It had to go.
Back when I healed, Total RP 2 really screwed up with tooltips. If I moused over someone, it would occasionally put the tooltip over the entire raid frames, instead of on the bottom right corner. It had to go.
i had the same problem, you have to go into the settings and select the option to turn off tooltips during combat
I use TotalRP2 and will probably continue to do so even with bugs. I've never really have had any problems with it as of late, and I don't really use any other features of it other than adding a surname ect. I've never really liked the look and feel of the other addons so I will probably be sticking with TotalRP2 when 5.3 comes out.

Easily turned off.
Unless someone mentioned it already, MRP has some compatibility with TRP2 (it'll still show a character's name, load its history/age/race/class in the MRP panel, and some other things, I think), and I believe it was recommended by the TRP2 developer in his or her closing post on the addon's forum.

That said, I have gotten interface warnings and glitches with TRP2 (and only TRP2) running--most of these occurred in Pandaria (and none of them occur in older content), such as in some of the Shado-Pan dailies. This leads me to believe that if significant changes come to the GUI in future patches, TRP2 may have some issues there, as well. However, I haven't scripted any WoW addons so I can't say as much "professionally."
The servers that I come from (BWR/MG) used mainly MRP. After moving to this server and learning that TRP2 is the go to rp addon for most players, I tried to download it but have been unable to get it to work at all. This has been rather frustrating for me. I'm still using MRP, but hardly anyone here uses it. This is disappointing as I really like MRP.
i read in several differant places where people have been able to use the stashes and chest and backpack....how on earth do i get those to work..when i try to put stuff in them they wont let me ill drag something there and it wont drop in to place
I've had a few bugs with TRP2 lately, where I cant change 'Current Information' and in item creation I can only make Poor or Legendary items.
Pretty irritating.