Leveling a Pally

Paladin
Hi all,

I'm currently leveling a Pally (lvl 22) and I am in Ret Heirlooms, but for RDF I want to heal. If I Dual Spec to Holy, can I still heal in Ret gear? I would assume for lower level dungeons it could work, but it will probably be a bit harder in Outlands/Wrath dungeons.

Also for solo questing, is Ret or Prot better?

Thanks!
you will be able to do it for awhile. but here is the problem you will run into, players in wow will inspect your gear at some point, and as soon as a pull goes south, you will receive the blame. regardless of if the tank pulls like 4 packs at once. mainly because healing is so overtuned especially for people that have healing heirlooms that tanks can do that. your gonna get called a noob and probably kicked. I'm not saying that, i'm saying someone's gonna say that eventually. do what you want though, it's your toon, just remember the wow community is... not so tactful. very rude people out there since they are hiding behind a computer monitor they think they can say whatever they want.

TLDR: while you could pull it off for awhile, it's not ideal, and people will probably rip you for it.
As to the questing answer, I leveled this toon 1-90 as prot and hit 90 fairly easily. Did quite a bit of dungeons and questing, and I can say with confidence that nothing is more fun than doing an entire quest, and sometimes two quests, in one single pull of 20+ mobs, and ending the fight with full health and mana.
01/14/2013 09:24 AMPosted by Soulsentinel
TLDR: while you could pull it off for awhile, it's not ideal, and people will probably rip you for it.

I had people rip into me for wearing cloth heirlooms on my Resto Druid. Seriously, some people will cry about anything.
There's one more thing to consider -- average pulls will be easy to manage regardless of which gear type you have on throughout most of the leveling experience. As you get into the higher level instances, such as Wrath dungeons and up, it seems like every tank just wants to mass pull everything in the room to make the process faster. When you're a healer in the correct gear, it's actually quite nice. It makes it a little more intense and challenging, all while decreasing the time in which it takes to level.

I wouldn't recommend trying to heal in Ret gear once you get into the later expansions. Tanks have no patience at that point and it really will turn out to be a nightmare, in my opinion anyway.
01/14/2013 06:38 PMPosted by Ingsoc

I had people rip into me for wearing cloth heirlooms on my Resto Druid. Seriously, some people will cry about anything.

It's a joke, really.

The thing that makes me laugh the most is when tanks get angry in level 15-20 instances when the DPS pulls. I understand it's the tank's job to pull, but it really doesn't matter in those dungeons. They're so easy, you don't even need a real tank.