Spirit Traps need a nerf...

General Discussion
Just as the title says.

Spirit Traps are ridiculously overpowered mobs in the Ruins of Ogudei.

They have 1,187k (IIRC) health or something near that and are stationary. Every 3-4 seconds, they spawn a 118k ghost and they do _not_ share credit to anybody that does damage to them.

There are only two ways I know of to actually deal with these stupid things:

1). Use all ranged attacks and stay away from the stupid thing. The ghosts won't aggro. Unless, of course, you happen to be using a Ghost Iron Dragonling trinket, which you have to unequip because it will likely get you killed.

2). Be a tank with good self-heal and AoE. Not available to many classes (obviously).

So, this leaves out Rogues and Warriors who don't have shields/1h weapons available. What is a rogue supposed to do with a Spirit Trap? Throw shuriken at it? lol And if you're not able to be a prot warrior (again, no decent weapon/shield), all you have is Stormbolt, Throw, and Deadly Throw (IIRC, DT and Throw share a cooldown?) along with maybe Shattering Throw.

So, here's a few suggestions:

1). The ghosts' health should be 39k, not 118k. This would make the adds a bit more manageable by DPS classes that have little self-heal/AoE ability.

2). Slow the spawn rate of the ghosts down, if you must keep their health at 118k. Every 3-4 seconds is just too darn fast to keep up with it and still somehow do damage to the trap itself. Maybe cut the spawn rate in half?

3). Make the Spirit Trap give credit to everyone who does damage to it. That way, 2-3 only "safe" traps in the whole area (that you can range attack and NOT get aggro by Mogu ghosts) aren't being camped by everyone who can't handle one in melee combat and/or it'd give more people incentive to help each other kill the stupid things.

4). If not the above, then simply reduce the health the Traps have. 600k sounds fair. A DPS could burst down 600k before the ghosts overwhelm him without requiring raid gear, surely.
Erm... Ive never had the problems you describe with them? They do have a lot of health, but they spawn ghosts super slow so just kill each ghost as it pops and blow up the trap in between. Easy and done.
Having died yet again to one of these stupid things after a couple of pairs of those linked mobs joined the party, I just have to say: "Finally a touch of challenge in a daily".

I'd prefer that they are not nerfed. Doing so much content without ever feeling like I could be close to dieing unless I aggro heaps of mobs gets a little boring.

Granted, I think us rogues could use a touch more survivability or at least some half decent AOE, but that is for a different thread.
I just nuked the trap down then dealt with the ghosts when I did these quests. They're honestly not as hard as the OP is making out....
01/11/2013 07:19 AMPosted by Skul
Erm... Ive never had the problems you describe with them? They do have a lot of health, but they spawn ghosts super slow so just kill each ghost as it pops and blow up the trap in between. Easy and done.

You're a death knight.

Obviously, you wouldn't have any trouble. lol.

My DK eats these things for breakfast... can't say the same about Ret Paladin, however.
lol 118k is a joke to AOE them down, Never hard trouble with them on my priest or my FURY warrior.
I feel bad for the classes that can't kill it at max distance.
01/11/2013 07:22 AMPosted by Waraila
I just nuked the trap down then dealt with the ghosts when I did these quests. They're honestly not as hard as the OP is making out....

You're wearing raid gear. Obviously, you can kill the thing much faster than someone who isn't. People (including Blizz Devs) need to realize that trying to kill crap at 450 is much harder than 499+. Tuning solo PvE dailies to a 480+ iLevel is stupid.
01/11/2013 07:22 AMPosted by Bosspriest
lol 118k is a joke to AOE them down, Never hard trouble with them on my priest or my FURY warrior.

Posting on my warrior too, the traps are easy.
Focus on the spirit trap and cleave the ghosts. It's not that bad to be honest.

use divine chicken storm more
These do not need to be dumbed down.

Just kill the adds as they spawn.
I'd like for them to share credit to non grouped people. In fact I'd like them to just go ahead and do that everywhere :P
If you can you should try and group to complete those. I grouped last night with a paladin friend of mine and we finished all the quests in the cave/mine in less than 15 minutes. Dailies are more fun and less painful when you group with at least one other person. Sometimes we forget that this IS an mmo ;)
Can't say I've had much problem with them at all questing as WW between my two aoe stuns, expel harm, and chi wave.
OMG how I hated that place. After almost dying few times in that horrible hole I quit doing those dailies there.
Takes too long, it's too dangerous, those tied up together mogus aggro very easy and I get hit by both of them if not 4 while I'm trying to kill other mobs there. In that time I can make 80 vp or 40 doing a heroic. The other Dominance offensive dailies are ok.
So when I was giving to quest there I just refused and turned back next day to get different dailies.
No just no not another cry for a nurf if you having trouble try getting a group use buff food, flask, pop CD. Its a mmorpg some times you need other people to do things. Another thing if your pally is who you having trouble you look like a fresh 90 the dailys in dom point (dont know the alliance sides name) are geared for people who have put some work in all ready.
Dear god man! you're a paladin grow some backbone before I throw you out of the order!
01/11/2013 07:22 AMPosted by Waraila

Me too. First time in there, I would swap to ghosts as they would spawn. But that slowed everything down. So now I just FF on the Spirit Trap, then mash some AOE buttons until the ghosts die.

I now don't mind the mine. Takes about 10 mintues, assuming I don't forget to turn to get the two big mogu and don't get distracted by any Alliance with a PVP flag up. Oh, and that stupid "It is a Mystery" quest just needs to go away.
the only hard part i ever had was when you are killing stuff and someone pulls a group on top of you and have you tank them and your mobs. only way i can get out of that, back up next to that person and hit bubble. may seem mean but i dont feel like tanking my shtuff while you tag a mob and dump it on me and think i will kill them and my mobs while you just sit and do nothing.... yea i killed a few people who try to do that to me.
Focus on the spirit trap and cleave the ghosts. It's not that bad to be honest.

use divine chicken storm more

There's a couple problems with this:

1). Using Divine Storm cuts my DPS in half. Much of a ret's DPS is put out by Inquisition and Templar's Verdict. Divine Storm shares Holy Power with both of these abilities. Anytime you use Divine Storm, you take a huge single-target DPS loss. The ghosts have 118k, Divine Storm hits for about 37k. It takes 3 Divine Storms to kill 2-3 ghosts. However, that's 9 Holy Power. The only other AoE I have is Hammer of Lolness that does 8k or so.

2). The ghosts spawn faster than I can single-target kill them. Paladin DPS requires ramp-up, you don't get that when trying to kill the adds single-target.

3). The ghosts do too much damage if I just ignore them and focus the Spirit Trap. They keep spawning and keep spawning and keep spawning and pumping all HoPo into Word of Glory won't keep up with the health drain (not to mention the huge DPS hit I take from casting that much WoG). Each ghost melees for 4-6k per attack; 5 of those on you and that's 20-30k health every 2-ish seconds.