oQueue Responsible for the Battleground Lag

General Discussion
Greetings players,

You might remember my thread back in Wrath of the Lich King regarding GearScore and its heavy (borderline unnecessary) usage of the addon communication system. It was boggling down the communication buffer so badly, that Blizzard was forced to implement the communication Registration system. Where you would only receive addon messages from keycodes that your UI wanted. This was an excellent fix that they introduced with Cataclysm.

However, today I bring you the problems caused by the addon "oQueue". Its purpose is pretty straight forward: to provide you with the ability to setup "random" premades with other people that have the addon installed. The number of people using this addon has exponentially increased over the past few weeks and as a result, the communication lines that the cross-realm system Battle.net uses has become overburdened, much like in the past with GearScore. The problem with this, however, is that the cross-realm system was not originally designed to handle as much throttle as is being pushed out by this addon. This has a major impact on all cross-realm communication systems. [Battlegrounds, RGBs, Arena (to a lesser extent), Dungeons, and Cross-Realm Raids]

Today I installed oQueue in order to join RGBs. I mean, who wouldn't want that? It wasn't for me. I decided to disable the addon and upon logging back into my character, I was bombarded with over 100 messages (large messages) from Battle.net accounts that had oQueue installed. Why is this? When oQueue is installed on your UI, it sets your battle.net message to (oQ). The addon scans your friends list for that message to determine whether or not to send oQueue's information across the line to that player for parsing by the addon. You do not normally see oQueue's messages as it parses those messages out of the chat box completely.

There is currently no limit set on the interval for which information is distributed across that line. Each time you perform an action, the instance or group updates, then oQueue will parse information into a string to send along to your friends.

However, oQueue does not currently distinguish between an oQueue setup group and a non-oQueue group. Many people do not know how to disable this option of oQueue. Please look into it. This massive amount of data sent from your game client is causing lag across the board.

It will only get worse as more and more people download this addon.

I'm not against premades. I'm not against addon programmers from making addons like this, truely, it's a work of art. However, the addon programmer responsible for this addon needs to look into "throttling" or "express level delay". You do not want to send the same player a new parse message every time it updates. You could delay the frequency to every minute or every seconds. That would at least lessen the load on the server. However, you'll then cause spike lag where certain parts of a minute are blasted with information.

All in all, I'd recommend that we step away from using addons like this and instead setup a website for establishing premades. This solution as we currently have it is only causing problems, not only for users, but everyone that is connected to Battle.net. (That means everyone that plays this game.)

Programmer / Network Engineer,
- Gregg

PS: Disable oQueue and then log in. You'll see the spam I'm talking about.

I have uploaded a video of what oQueue sends to the server for each friend that has it installed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkFn-JN6XPI
Have you tried expressing your concerns to Tiny? He lurks in the public vent all day. Surely you could get an audience with him.

I truly doubt the two threads you made will accomplish anything.
Have you tried expressing your concerns to Tiny? He lurks in the public vent all day. Surely you could get an audience with him.

I truly doubt the two threads you made will accomplish anything.

My headset mic is broken.
I got a great idea. How about people stop trying to shirk the system and just do premades with the restrictions Blizzard has put in place? Granted this is the first I've heard of this addon, but I know it's quite common for people to feel entitled and look for any way possible to cheat and gain any little advantage they can.
01/13/2013 07:37 PMPosted by Kuluth
I got a great idea. How about people stop trying to shirk the system and just do premades with the restrictions Blizzard has put in place? Granted this is the first I've heard of this addon, but I know it's quite common for people to feel entitled and look for any way possible to cheat and gain any little advantage they can.

First off, this add-on is a great way to find people x-realm for RBGs, which Blizz pretty much forced us into without a good way to find players on different servers. Maybe do some research before you judge an add-on. Premades existed in random BGs since wayyy before OQ. Second, if you disable OQ, you simply have to erase OQ from your broadcast to your friends, and that stops all the spam instantly.
01/13/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Jugaa
First off, this add-on is a great way to find people x-realm for RBGs, which Blizz pretty much forced us into without a good way to find players on different servers. Maybe do some research before you judge an add-on. Premades existed in random BGs since wayyy before OQ. Second, if you disable OQ, you simply have to erase OQ from your broadcast to your friends, and that stops all the spam instantly.

Right you are. However, this addon does not only impact the performance of those using it, it causes massive lag for just about everyone that plays this game.

I want to nip this problem in the bud before it becomes unbearable to play anymore. Like I said earlier, the more people that use this addon, the worse the lag is going to get.
01/13/2013 07:37 PMPosted by Kuluth
How about people stop trying to shirk the system and just do premades with the restrictions Blizzard has put in place?

People use it as premade finder for groups of 5, RBGs, dungeon, etc. There is no system shirking.
Greetings players,

You might remember my thread back in Wrath of the Lich King regarding GearScore and its heavy (borderline unnecessary) usage of the addon communication system

Oddly enough...I actually remember that thread. Thank you for your contribution to trying to prevent catastrophic lag issues.
01/13/2013 07:46 PMPosted by Imatarp
Right you are. However, this addon does not only impact the performance of those using it, it causes massive lag for just about everyone that plays this game.

idk what you mean, I have no lag what so ever with or without it. Maybe it's your computer?
01/13/2013 07:50 PMPosted by Pozy
How about people stop trying to shirk the system and just do premades with the restrictions Blizzard has put in place?

People use it as premade finder for groups of 5, RBGs, dungeon, etc. There is no system shirking.

And yes, any time you have to use an addon to get around the system it is shirking the system.
Good! Hopefuly blizzard will finally realize that we need proper cross-realm group finding tool in-game.
01/13/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Deatherknite
Oddly enough...I actually remember that thread. Thank you for your contribution to trying to prevent catastrophic lag issues.

I'm glad I helped destroy that addon. I remember logging in one raid night (I was designing LootTrain's addon communication system at the time) and I kept noticing GearScore's spam during encounters. It was causing players with less capable bandwidths to crash as soon as an encounter started. I got on vent and told everyone that if they had GearScore installed, to uninstall it, or I'd remove them from the raid and then from the guild. The entire guild disabled GearScore and we raided perfectly from that night forward. Any user that had GearScore installed would get an auto-whisper from my addon demanding that they disable it or face immediate guild kick. :D

01/13/2013 07:54 PMPosted by Jugaa

idk what you mean, I have no lag what so ever with or without it. Maybe it's your computer?

It's battlegroup dependent. Emberstorm has been getting massive spikes of lag this past week. There are something like 200-400 premade groups setup currently on this battlegroup. It'll only get worse.
Hmmm maybe it's battlegroup related but not related to OQ. I know random servers have been going offline the past couple of days, and I'm pretty sure that's not OQ related. The forums were down for close to an hour the other night. It could be Blizz related...
01/13/2013 07:55 PMPosted by Unstabull
And yes, any time you have to use an addon to get around the system it is shirking the system.

The addon isn't used to get around the 'system'

There is no system for finding premades, just like there is no system for recording damage. By your logic, Skada is shirking the system.
While your testing with Gearscore had some credence since you could do testing by having it turned on then off again by your guild during a raid, I find your current argument lacking.

01/13/2013 08:00 PMPosted by Imatarp
It's battlegroup dependent. Emberstorm has been getting massive spikes of lag this past week. There are something like 200-400 premade groups setup currently on this battlegroup. It'll only get worse.

You can't link the lag to OQ just because Emberstorm is lagging.. There is no way to test it. You are just randomly putting two and two together and hoping you are getting 4.

I think your point is invalid until you can provide sufficient evidence or a blue post can provide some insight that backs up your claim.
You can't link the lag to OQ just because Emberstorm is lagging.. There is no way to test it. You are just randomly putting two and two together and hoping you are getting 4.

I think your point is invalid until you can provide sufficient evidence or a blue post can provide some insight that backs up your claim.

Battle.net was not designed to handle the sheer number of whispers sent by addons or players like this.

I'm a Network Developer and a General Programmer of 11 years. It's my job to find problems of this nature. I have found that there is a bottleneck in the cross-realm communication system and everything that passes through this system is affected by it.

Edit: Blues are likely unaware that this is the culprit behind the recent amounts of lag affecting battlegroups. It's not battlegroup dependent, it's dependent on the number of premades running on the battlegroup and how each account is linked together through Battle.net.
01/13/2013 07:55 PMPosted by Unstabull

How does vent queuing and OQ have anything in common? They already broke the automated queuing in OQ.
01/13/2013 08:14 PMPosted by Imatarp
Battle.net was not designed to handle the sheer number of whispers sent by addons or players like this.

I already told you how to prevent the whispers. If you don't disable OQ from your broadcast, you will get spam whispers and that will only affect your personal lag, not the whole servers.

01/13/2013 08:00 PMPosted by Imatarp
It's battlegroup dependent.

01/13/2013 08:14 PMPosted by Imatarp
It's not battlegroup dependent

hmmm?
My guess is 5.2 will break oQueue again anyways man.

I'm a Network Developer and a General Programmer of 11 years. It's my job to find problems like this. I have found that there is a bottleneck in the cross-realm communication system and everything that passes through this system is affected by it.

I am responsible for designing the landing gear for the Eagle during the Apollo 11 mission. First off, this is the internet, so I don't care what you prattle off about what you do for a living and how long you have done it since there is no way to validate it.

Secondly, I am waiting for some kind of solid evidence and not what you are assuming is the problem..