Pandarian gem listing fee too high.

Professions
The Auction House listing fee to list gems is way out of whack with what how often they sell and the prices they sell for.

Enchanting materials, Enchant srolls, glyphs, all list for a low fee because you'll have to relist them many times until they sell.

Currently it's not even worth listing gems on my server. I'd make more vendoring them.
Then vendor them. All servers are different, and the greater the supply, the cheaper the costs of the gem. Try finding a niche market you can control the price of.
a 12 hour auction for gems costs like 60s, its not worth listing anything other than 12 hours anyway because unless you're extremely casual at the ah, you'll be reposting several times due to undercutting.
As somebody said above, you need to corner yourself a niche in the market. If you do that, you'll be fine.

I suggest you get like 1000g or even 2000g to start with. You need to spend money to make money, cliché but true. What you need to do is farm until you have a decent amount of gems and then check the AH.

If you see a gem for a high price and one undercutting it by at least a 15-25g margin, buy it and repost it for 1-15 silver less than the other one. It's important that your bid and buyout be lower so that yours is the first one people see. They'll buy it because it's first and cheaper, even if it's only a few silver.

When you get enough money you can buy out entire pages of gems and set the prices to what YOU want them to be.

I did this back on my original server when TBC came out and the whole Jewelcrafting hype was out. I bought all of the Tigerseyes, Malacites, and Shadowgems (they were going for like a few silver to a few gold) and posted them at 5-20g a piece. People bought them.

If you want to make gold you need to figure out supply and demand and crush the competition.
01/24/2013 06:25 AMPosted by Jozie
Then vendor them. All servers are different, and the greater the supply, the cheaper the costs of the gem. Try finding a niche market you can control the price of.

That is asinine, and means it's broken as is. There is simply no reason for such high listing fees when compared to other professions. With perfect cuts so easy to get, and the daily research cuts being dumped on the auction house, it's as bad as enchant scrolls and glyphs with the sheer quantity of cut gems on the market.
It's not because you have to relist them. It's because the AH fee is based on vendor price.

I've had an issue with that system myself.
The listing fee is fine.

I sell hundreds of gems daily. The amount spent on fees is acceptable.

Let's say you wish to list 100 gems. Average cost to produce them is 15g ea, average sell price is 30g ea. You stand to make 1500g when they are all sold. Lets say there is competition, and you average 5 postings per gem before they sell... you'll spend 300g to post.

You still net 1200g.

But I just did some homework, and researched prices on your server. I wish I had your market! Gem prices are around 125g+ average. And ones I've personally come to expect high volumes of sales on, on your server, are almost all 200+. Material costs average only 10-15g per gem to produce...

So if you list 100 gems, with an average sale of 125g, listing even 10 times before finally selling... you stil stand to earn 10,400g+.

What is your issue again?
01/25/2013 04:35 AMPosted by Ravnus

It's my money and I want it now
That is asinine, and means it's broken as is. There is simply no reason for such high listing fees when compared to other professions. With perfect cuts so easy to get, and the daily research cuts being dumped on the auction house, it's as bad as enchant scrolls and glyphs with the sheer quantity of cut gems on the market.

Is eBay broken too? Pretty sure they have a similar system.

Yes, other professions don't have the high listing fees of JC, but those professions are also broken in their own ways too. For instance, it is fairly easy for enchanters to manipulate the enchanting materials market by simply jacking up the prices. I have done it myself multiple times. On the other hand, with 1s listing fees, the gem market would likely follow the path of the glyph market, where you could only make gold by constantly canceling and re-listing auctions throughout the day.

Professions are unique and are better off that way. Homogeneity is boring. The system has obviously worked for 3 expansions so far, with Blizzard adjusting the vendor price as needed to keep the global market place in check throughout the course of the expansion. If the system was really broken, I imagine someone would have come up with a logical justification for changing it in the last 6-8 years other then "that is asinine".
The listing fee is fine.

Let's say you wish to list 100 gems. Average cost to produce them is 15g ea, average sell price is 30g ea. You stand to make 1500g when they are all sold. Lets say there is competition, and you average 5 postings per gem before they sell... you'll spend 300g to post.

You still net 1200g.

But I just did some homework, and researched prices on your server. I wish I had your market! Gem prices are around 125g+ average. And ones I've personally come to expect high volumes of sales on, on your server, are almost all 200+. Material costs average only 10-15g per gem to produce...

So if you list 100 gems, with an average sale of 125g, listing even 10 times before finally selling... you stil stand to earn 10,400g+.

Good for you that you can do this on your realm. A majority of gems barely move at 10 gold on my realm. That's after reslisting them 20 times. At a minimum of 60 silver per listing, can you do the math? The listing price is not fine, as it doesn't work well on all realms. Whatever you're researching is utter garbage. You can price a gem whatever you want on it, it doesn't matter if it doesn't SELL. And at the prices you're reading, they don't.
01/25/2013 07:52 AMPosted by Jozie
Is eBay broken too? Pretty sure they have a similar system.

Do you actually use ebay? You do know that years ago they eliminated listing fees altogether for casual sellers. Why? Because people stopped selling there when they had to relist items constantly because they didn't move.

the gem market would likely follow the path of the glyph market, where you could only make gold by constantly canceling and re-listing auctions throughout the day.

It's exactly like this now on the two realms I've been on. It drives people without deep pockets for endless high listing fees out of selling on the Auction House. Then you see a 10 gold gem appear for 500 gold. Then you see someone ranting in trade chat about high prices and how jewelcrafters are thieves, not understanding that the ridiculous relisting fee is completely responsible for this.

I imagine someone would have come up with a logical justification for changing it in the last 6-8 years

Why would they if everyone on a high population realm defends it.
I'm going to go with "If most gems don't sell, don't list most gems" here. I list reds and primals (the good cuts) and that's about it. They sell fairly well. Sure, there's a few that come back but at 500-900 gold a primal, I can afford to pay a few listing fees. If they're selling more cheaply than 500 for primals and 50g for reds, I just don't bother to list them that day.

All of my green quality gems become jewelry for D/E so they're taken care of. I use yellows for jewelry too. I think only blue rare quality gems ever take up to much bank space.
The listing fee is fine.

You still net 1200g.

Good for you that you can do this on your realm. A majority of gems barely move at 10 gold on my realm. That's after reslisting them 20 times. At a minimum of 60 silver per listing, can you do the math? The listing price is not fine, as it doesn't work well on all realms. Whatever you're researching is utter garbage. You can price a gem whatever you want on it, it doesn't matter if it doesn't SELL. And at the prices you're reading, they don't.

Don't try to sell crap?

If you do anything 20 times and it isn't working... might want to reconsider whatever it is you're doing. Especially if you have to pay to try.

Do you want parry and resilience? In the same gear. .. .. no, not really. No one else does either. Figure out what stats people do want, and sell the gems with those stats. Do not try to push crap on the auction or it simply wont sell.

When I first starting JCing, I sold "every" cut.. tried to anyway. I kept posting every cut for exactly 1 month. Then I scrutinized my sales data. How many Veiled did I sell? How much did I sell them at on average? How many Stalwart did I sell? How much?

After that, I trimmed the fat. Stopped all production of crap gems, and have stuck to the gems that people actually want to put in their gear.

Weird thing is, they actually sell. Zomg.

So a few silver is irrelevant.
the gem market would likely follow the path of the glyph market, where you could only make gold by constantly canceling and re-listing auctions throughout the day.

It's exactly like this now on the two realms I've been on. It drives people without deep pockets for endless high listing fees out of selling on the Auction House. Then you see a 10 gold gem appear for 500 gold. Then you see someone ranting in trade chat about high prices and how jewelcrafters are thieves, not understanding that the ridiculous relisting fee is completely responsible for this.

The rampant undercutting leads to 500g listings?

Edit: Do you even know what you are here to complain about?

Edit2: I just checked your server's JC prices again. (UMJ, btw) They are all wonderfully high. Costs are extremely low... The margins there are so prime for the picking it's not even funny. How are you upset?