Mana issues and other worries

Paladin
Hey forums. So my guild just recently took me in their 10 man raid group, and I'm having a few troubles. First off, my mana is consistently leaving me uncomfortable and I run out during heavy aoe moments in raids. Specifically we're doing MV, if that's any help. Also, does anyone have any tips on how to deal with heavy aoe moves?
I used to be strict Holy Paladin until I saw the light and went Retribution, anyways with my background knowledge on a Holy Paladin, there very excellent healers and I can't remember a time when I have gone OOM. For AoE healing you should use Holy Radiance. I remember I used to always have Eternal Flame on the Tank at all times. Along with the new 90 talent abilities there is one I think called Holy Prism which can be used on a friendly target that has a nice AoE heal, maybe you should use that a lot more. Just don't spam Flash of Light, big mistake. I think it was:

Holy Light- Small heal.
Flash of Light-Bigheal with fast casting time, but expensive.
Divine Light-Medium heal.
Eternal Flame-HoT that should be on Tank always.
Holy Radiance-Use when everyone is taking damage. Usually cast on the Tank.
and there was one more that has a cone that flies off your body, but I can't remember what is was called, but I do remember it being quite useful.

Hopefully I helped you, and just remember not to over heal which might be why your having Mana problems.
01/22/2013 08:27 PMPosted by Nec
Hey forums. So my guild just recently took me in their 10 man raid group, and I'm having a few troubles. First off, my mana is consistently leaving me uncomfortable and I run out during heavy aoe moments in raids. Specifically we're doing MV, if that's any help. Also, does anyone have any tips on how to deal with heavy aoe moves?

What class are you co-healing with?
01/22/2013 09:22 PMPosted by Nasonia

At this time I'm healing with a mistweaver and a resto shaman, both decently geared. I tend to usually outheal the monk.
would be nice if you could log out in your heal gear....mana sustainability will be dependant on spell selection and spirit on your gear

if you are running out of mana then 2 things need to change...be more efficient with your spell selection or get more spirit
01/22/2013 10:19 PMPosted by Nec

At this time I'm healing with a mistweaver and a resto shaman, both decently geared. I tend to usually outheal the monk.

If you're looking for greater mana efficiency during heavy AE phases, I would suggest considering ways with which to build up holy power and I would suggest stacking 1-2 holy power Eternal Flames on the raid while saving up 2-3 holy power for Light of Dawn on the raid. Your holy power "finishers" will extend your mana pool.

Also, log out in your holy gear sometime, and some of us might be able to give tips and suggestions for you.

...and there was one more that has a cone that flies off your body, but I can't remember what is was called, but I do remember it being quite useful.

Could you be thinking of Holy Prism?

...just remember not to over heal which might be why your having Mana problems.

Probably the best thing you could ever do a Holy Paladin is follow this.
We don't have a lot of info to work with, so all I can give you is generalizations.

Obviously there's the gear factor. Right now you're barely scratching 470, and although your regen is higher than typical for that gear level due to your Relic of Chi-Ji (amazing trinket), you're still missing a lot of stuff. That can't be helped outside of running some 5-mans for legs/chest and of course doing LFR every week.

Grab some cheapo enchants for starters - 200 Spirit on your chestpiece, 180 Intellect on your cloak, and 170 Intellect/100 Spirit on your legs. All three enchants have reasonable mat requirements and would have a very nice impact on your performance in raids.

A lot of the other advice has been covered already, but one more thing to keep in mind - even your "mana neutral" efficient heal, Holy Light, has a slightly ramped up mana cost as a Paladin because we get so much free healing from our Holy Power mechanic. Holy Shock is your best friend, and you should use it as close to "on cooldown" as you can because it's just so efficient. Really work at it, if you use an addon like Weakauras I suggest making an aura next to your raid frames that shows when Holy Shock is off cooldown.
Kaeldread is my alt pally and is similarly geared to you...he has no mana issues in norm content and can easily sustain 50k+ over the norm 6-8m fights.

As has been stated above...finish chanting your gear, and focus on holy power generating abilities, The more holy power you make and use the farther your mana goes.
...and there was one more that has a cone that flies off your body, but I can't remember what is was called, but I do remember it being quite useful.

Could you be thinking of Holy Prism?

I think he means Light of Dawn, the AoE HP "Finisher"
This suggestion makes two assumptions: 1, no one's dying from AoE damage, and 2, your monk is a competent healer, equally or better geared than you. If you're generally out-healing the monk, but using up all your mana doing it, you might be trying to do too much by yourself and not letting him heal. Monks, druids, and holy priests tend to be strong AoE healers but weak single target healers, while pallies and disc priests tend to be stronger single target (tank) healers and weaker AoE healers (although pallies could really do anything back in Dragon Soul, and disc priests have been stronger in AoE recently). Shamans can do a little bit of both; a shaman with a druid can handle the tank heals while a shaman with a pally can do raid healing instead. As a healer, you're part of a team much more so than you are as a dps or a tank, so it helps to know what your co-healers excel at and where their weaknesses are. In your situation, I would loosely assign you to tank heals, the monk to raid heals, and the shaman to helping out with both as needed. By "loosely assign," I mean that you should mostly focus on the tanks, but if they're stable and a dps is dying, heal him as well. Likewise, if the dps are all healed and your tank suddenly drops like a rock, your monk should help with the tank healing. By doing that, you'll play to the strengths of your classes, and one class's strength can compensate for another class's weakness. As an example, I heal with a holy priest. I mostly tank heal and she mostly raid heals, but we help each other out as necessary. If you look at our logs, you'll see big spikes in her healing when AoE damage goes out, because her class is a stronger AoE healing class, then you'll see her dip down once the AoE damage is healed up. In contrast, my healing tends to be fairly steady regardless of what happens; when there's AoE damage, I'm putting out less healing than her, but when there's mostly tank damage, I'm putting out more. We end up doing roughly the same amount of healing over the course of the fight; it's just spread out differently because of how our specific classes work.

As far as what to cast in AoE situations, stay away from Holy Radiance as a general rule. One or two occasionally is ok, but spamming it will eat your mana up. If you do use it, make sure you're using it on a stacked player rather than one who's spread out away from the group, and follow it up with a Holy Shock on the same or another stacked player (Holy Radiance procs Daybreak, which is a passive ability that makes your next Holy Shock an AoE spell rather than a single target spell). You should be swapping your tier 6 talent depending on the fight: while Light's Hammer is generally stronger, Holy Prism works better in certain fights. Basically, if your group is going to be stacked up, take Light's Hammer and drop it on the stack point. If your group is more spread out, take Holy Prism and shoot it at the boss (it bounces off one enemy to heal multiple players, or bounces off one player to damage multiple enemies, depending on who you target it at). Your biggest AoE heal, though, is actually going to be Eternal Flame.

You want to keep Eternal Flame on whichever tank is actively tanking at the moment (or on both tanks in a fight like Stone Guard where they both have things beating on them). You also want to keep it on any dps/healer who's taking extra damage from a mechanic (the Arcane Resonance target on Feng can't stack for AoE healing, for example, or Voodoo Doll targets on Gara'jal). If it's on both tanks, won't need refreshed soon, and no one's taking extra damage, throw it on whichever raid member is most likely to not notice he's standing in something as a preventative measure, throw it on whoever's the most squishy, throw it on yourself a few seconds before you use Hand of Sacrifice, etc. Even if the person you put it on doesn't need the healing right away, it'll build up a mastery bubble to absorb future damage, and the healing will transfer through Beacon of Light to your tank. This is the mechanic you want to take advantage of for AoE healing. Get EF on at least 4-5 players (this is generally known as "blanketing the raid") before the AoE damage starts so that your mastery has time to build up. For a non-tank, 1-2 holy power EFs are generally acceptable, and are quicker to get spread around because you don't need to build up as much holy power. Make sure you Holy Shock on cooldown as it's your primary/inexpensive holy power builder, and unless the fight has a mechanic that forces you to spread out, feel free to hang out in melee range and Crusader Strike for extra holy power as well. Once you get your 4pc tier bonus, you'll be able to build holy power even faster because of the reduced cooldown on Holy Shock. Get it as soon as you can; it's strong enough that even four pieces of LFR tier are actually better than four pieces of 489/496 non-tier gear despite the stat loss. Once you have the EFs up and the AoE damage starts, spot heal with Holy Shock and more EFs unless anyone gets dangerously low. If it's just one person low, your shaman will probably be able to save them because of how his mastery works. If it's the entire raid, you may have to throw out a HR/HS combination, but use it judiciously.

As a summary, try spreading Eternal Flame around on raid members before the AoE damage hits, then hold back a little on the more expensive AoE heals and let your monk shine unless you get into trouble. You're part of a healing team; you don't need to do it all by yourself.
Forgot to mention in my previous post, and it's long enough as in without me adding to it. :D

When you're blanketing Eternal Flame, you want to start before the AoE hits so that you have enough time to build up holy power and so that your mastery bubble has time to grow. How much before is kind of a judgment call; earlier will make a larger bubble, but later will leave more ticks of the HoT to heal up the damage. Make sure you have a way track your Eternal Flames and Illuminated Healing (mastery bubble), ideally on your raid frames. If you misjudge when the damage is coming and Eternal Flames start falling off before the AoE happens, don't panic and start spamming things trying to get them back up. Just make sure you hit those people with a Holy Shock or something else cheap before the mastery bubble falls off, to refresh it. As long as the person in question hasn't been taking damage in the meantime, they should have a pretty good sized bubble built up, and you don't want to lose it by letting it expire before the damage happens. If you use VuhDo, I can tell you how to make Eternal Flame and Illuminated Healing show on it. If you use Healbot, Grid, default Blizzard frames, etc, I'm sure someone else can teach you, or ask over on the UI forum.