Open Libram LXV: A Fury Divine

Paladin
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next
Most of 90s cartoons were adult oriented like Animaniacs, Historia, Pinky and the brain, etc. Nowadays kids want to laugh and giggle.
01/28/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Aglaea
Nowadays kids want to laugh and giggle.

I don't know how true that is. Perhaps it's more the adults that want their children to be easily entertained so they don't actually have to do any parenting, and silly cartoons may be more conducive to that than the more serious and action-packed cartoons of the 90s. Of course, it'd probably be even better if the parents actually made their children read books, but society's been in such a "hell-in-a-handbasket" state for too many years, I think, for that to properly take hold.
listen guys, i like comics and i like reading them, and i know that there are instances of great writing and art in comics (sometimes at the same time!). just as with any form of expression, or literary endeavor, there are examples of greatness within the medium, and then there are a lot of things that is demonstrably bad for various reasons. most things fall into the latter category.

i like a good story, i like it when they are illustrated or exist as a combination of visuals and words. i dislike violence for the sake of violence, i dislike violence for shock value, and i dislike weak writing. sadly, i have found that i am not a die-hard fan of any particular character/team, i can't overlook the shortcomings of what i find, and therefore most superhero comics don't hold my interest or even garner it. and yes, i have read many of the things that would be considered 'classics' or pinacle examples of the medium, and i watched the crap out of x-men when i was a kid, and i love batman: the animated series and justice league (stylish animation and good writing!). still don't care for superheroes, though. :<
I laughed and giggled watching all the good stuff back then. I still laugh at some of it now. :D

Same for me.

Watch just about any Disney movie nowadays, and it's riddled with jokes aimed at the parents.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Young Justice and Green Lantern getting canned has to do with the rising concerns about youth getting exposed to violence. Saturday morning is not a time block that's typically aimed at middle/high school kids. Even though I've enjoyed quite a few shows when I was going through those ages.

01/28/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Covahredro
All I can say is Yuck, those show are as crap as buggy's bunny an co and scooby doo and such /shudder. Well ok Pink and the brain isn't so bad, but animaniacs? yeah I'd rather swing from a rope by the neck.

We all have our own flaws.
Animaniacs had really good musical bits that demonstrate some pretty incredible voice talent. :D

Working on amberdude!

Correction, amberdude down on 7 minutes, 59 seconds!
01/28/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Covahredro
I've been reading I lot of Berserk, Can't wait to get my hands on the new movie. As of late there has been much interesting to watch, seems like all the good stuff is drying up.

Lets read some Bleach!! It's SOOO GOOD!!!

01/28/2013 07:49 PMPosted by Snozberries
All I can say is Yuck, those show are as crap as buggy's bunny an co and scooby doo and such /shudder. Well ok Pink and the brain isn't so bad, but animaniacs? yeah I'd rather swing from a rope by the neck.

WHYYYYYY
01/28/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Aglaea
WHYYYYYY

The forum quoting thing is really weird tonight.
I beat the #1 WoL for prot on garalon, but wasn't parsing :(

Got him down second time with 4 pugs though!
bleach, like most shonen offerings, can be boiled down to 'HARGBARGL IT IS NOW TIME TO FIGHT WITH PWOER LEVELS HITHERTO UNKNOWN IN THESE PARTS RAAAAGH BANKAI' followed by 'WHAT? THERE'S HIGHER POWER LEVELS? SINCE WHEN? OH WELL LET'S TRAIN A LOT AND THEN FIGHTTRHRHGJRHGHGJH BAINKAI TIMES TWENTY OR SOMETHING'

that said, tite kubo's got some serious rendering chops, even if he does cheap out of his action shots by covering them with giant splotchy ink swathes. at least he's not reduced his art to some kind of minimalist chopshop job like that naruto guy. >.>

it's kind of a shame, bleach started out as a kind of slice-of-life thing with some wierdness and supernatural stuff, and had hollows invading his school and things and the secondary characters had cool things they could do and his classmates without powers were in jeopardy and all that and it was neat, but all that was kind of tossed aside in favor of an endless power ramp-up super fighting montage in shinigamiland.

also covahredro, if you like the berserk manga (and who doesn't, really, the guy decided that heironymous bosch monsters were the way to go) you should read 'one punch man'. it's pretty intense!

...however, speaking ill of classic warner brothers cartoons is near-on inexcusable. BETRAYAL CAN NEVER BE FORGIVEN, sir.
i've got a buddy who can't watch cartoons any more, he lacks the whimsy for it. however, i contend that one does not really 'grow out of' watching cartoons - it requires that something inside you shrivels up and dies. ;p

in any event, as an artist i can appreciate them as examples of an art form and the fact that a great deal of them are hilarious, particular the chuck jones ones. ;p
01/28/2013 11:01 PMPosted by Lobster
17 isn't old lol

I was old when I was seventeen, and that was a long time ago. >_>

Back in my day, Log was a real toy and not just a gag on Ren and Stimpy! >_<