Talent tree system or paint by numbers?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
01/25/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Bigscreen
the only time ive used the T1 priest talent is on the last boss in msv. everything else in raiding is immune to thoes talents. so....

What about while you were leveling to 90? Or doing dailies? Or PvPing? Those talents are actually amazing in different ways, and for many different situations.
01/25/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Illucia
the only time ive used the T1 priest talent is on the last boss in msv. everything else in raiding is immune to thoes talents. so....

One tier in the priest talent tree isn't useful exclusively for raiding? Say it ain't so!

easy killer. that was in reply to bashiok who made it sound like the T1 priest talents could do more in raiding.....
I change my spec on my shadow priest 2-3 times a night.

It's nice not to have "The one best talent spec, THE ONLY ONE"

But to have several, for different types of fights.

Oh, and I use the ever loving crap out of priest T1 choices.
The fun that mind control has for soloing content, tendrils for Elegon adds, and Will of the Emperor, and obviously my little fear minion for pvp.
01/25/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Bashiok

What about while you were leveling to 90? Or doing dailies? Or PvPing? Those talents are actually amazing in different ways, and for many different situations.

lvl to 90 and doing dailies i just pw:s and renew my self and mow everything down. but this is getting into "priest t1 talents bla bla" instead of "new talent trees bla bla", and i like the new talent trees so yea...
Witht eh Brawler's guild, I found that I had to respec and rechoose talents every couple fights, it was funny having to kite the giraffe boss around with shuriken toss
When Blizz announced the new talent system I was like "hmmm" then i was like "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm" while picking out new talents on release day and then finally i was like "ok this isn't so bad, hmmm"

Subway footlong BMT on italian herb & cheese, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm (approved by the heart foundation of America)

Thing is, out of 6 talent 'choices' 4 on our tree really aren't for feral.

Wild charge, Natures swiftness, soul of the forest and dream of cenarius is the cookie cutter build for feral dps. NS because of dream, if you don't take dream you're classed as a mediocre kitty (like me who uses renewal and NV which is getting nerfed next patch). The other two talent choices make absolutely 0 impact in the game, and no I don't use them at all.. .except to completely untalent the tier 3 talents thanks to H zorlok's MC.
No, what I would like is something that actually changes how I play my character, particularly making it different than how another balance druid might play his character. Perhaps a tier might consist of a movement speed increase, a small reduction in damage, or a small heal for every step I take. Compare that to my first tier: a movement speed increase or two teleport-like abilities on cooldowns.

Just a simple and quick example I came up with in a very short time frame.

We generally found that we had to theme tiers to a particular mechanic. For example, a small heal in a tier with movement abilities would feel mandatory for a Guardian druid who likely cares a lot more about living than moving. There are exceptions. The mage tier 2 has a movement ability, and absorb and a heal.

I'm going to have to leave this conversation as I have some work stuff to attend to, but I will say things like this are always subjective and some people are looking for dramatic differences in rotations or whatever when they choose a talent. Overall though we are seeing far more diversity in the new talent trees than we ever did with the old.

Balance is one of those specs with less diversity than others, which is something we're trying to address in 5.2. But when you look at say tier 2, about half of Balance druids have Nature's Swiftness and about half have Renewal. Regardless if every tier has the three most amazing options for your personal favorite way to play the game or not, there's no refuting that the new talent system is providing meaningful options, it is encouraging diversity in builds, and we'll be continuing to support it through balance tweaks and tuning adjustments.

Yes, I definitely like how the talent systems works on that level - when you are looking at the big picture (yesterday I was leveling - today I want to PvP - tomorrow I want to try to solo old content - the next day I'm progression raiding), you definitely have some nice variety to choose between. So perhaps I'm being unfair to their ability to shake things up at a macro level.
01/25/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Erras
Gone are the days that reaching a new level meant something.

Of all your text, this says the most.
01/25/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Bigscreen

lvl to 90 and doing dailies i just pw:s and renew my self and mow everything down. but this is getting into "priest t1 talents bla bla" instead of "new talent trees bla bla", and i like the new talent trees so yea...

I like to tendril 20 mobs and aoe them down. I feel like a mage for 30 seconds.
01/25/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Elpaladini

If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me how? Mindbender for FDCL on a pure single target fight is really the only thing I consider. I'm happy to learn more though.
I'm finding the new talent trees/glyphs much more versatile than the old system. As mentioned everyone just copied the best builds from theory crafting sites like EJ. While there is definitely room for improvement, I believe it will be much easier for Blizzard to tweak the new trees/glyphs for balance than the old and this is a definite plus.
I think the new system is easier to navigate and brings more of a balance than previously existed...but I truly prefer the Vanilla Talent Point system. It was the most customize-able.
I've been really enjoying the new talent system. If anything, the previous system felt a lot more paint by numbers than the current iteration. Prior to this talent system, I'd look up the best talent dispersion for my spec and maybe I'd have two points to play around with.

Now, I change my talents depending on what I'm doing. Between questing, instances, Brawler's Guild, and solo'ing the elites, I've had several different set-ups and it's been great.
I hate the new talent system. Diablo 3 had a similar talent system, which kinda killed the game for me. I only played that game till I beat normal, then went back to WoW.
01/25/2013 09:04 AMPosted by Erras
IMO, anyone who believes the new talent trees are better is clearly smoking some type of herb too much. While there really wasn't much choice before, there isn't any choice now. 4/6 of my talent tiers have almost zero bearing on my performance. Of the two tiers that do, one of them is an extreme no brainer to me and the other one doesn't change much.
Still sounds like more choice than the old talent system.

And while many of the talents may have no bearing on your performance, most do have some bearing on how you play the character. It might not translate directly to better dps or heals, but the choice between a root and a pushback is a better choice than one between 1% haste and 1% crit. The former has bearing on how you actually play the character, the latter on whether or not you can do math (or find someone else who already has).

If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me how? Mindbender for FDCL on a pure single target fight is really the only thing I consider. I'm happy to learn more though.

Mindbender is garbage, through and through. It may have usefulness in Arena though.

But on a fight with adds Twist of Fate
No adds, fight with movement I go Divine Insight
Stationary fight, you can go PI, I don't really like it much.

I switch from Halo to Cascade on Elegon

and in PVP I go Psyfiend, Phantasm, FDCL, DI, Halo

On single target too, Insanity can be a good choice if there's isn't much movement and you can keep track of it well enough.