Ret playstyle

Paladin
Hi all. Just started playing my ret alt again and am finding the playstyle a bit slow and erratic. it seems all dps abilities have cooldowns and sometimes everything is on cooldown so I'm just waiting. On other classes I play, such as hunter, there is a shot that is always available and can be used as a "filler" to generate some dps and focus. Ret doesn't seem to have that type of ability, or am I missing something? Any thoughts/opinions?
ret doesn't have a "filler" ability, it is all about running the proper rotation to maximize dps.
occasionally you will have a second or two of downtime even with a great rotation
having a filler would be lovely, CS may as well just have the CD removed it hits for so little.
Part of it is a gear issue, as you gain more and more Haste it gets more and more fluid, part of it could also be a rotational issue.

Are you following the proper priority?

02/04/2013 12:32 AMPosted by Invincible
even if it means letting inq lapse.

Don't follow this bit, Inquistion should never be allowed to lapse unless there is a special circumstance where that HP just needs to be used for something else.

Holy prism still hits very hard and you should be using it on cd, it's a good filler.

Holy Prism is very versatile and useful depending on the situation but not the go too talent for PVE.

No matter what stage you are in your rotation you always need to exo as soon as it procs.

This isn't true since depending on what stage in the rotation you're in other things take precedence over Exo. Like in execute range.

Overall Titon you may just need to get the hang of it since you just started back up among the other bits I mentioned.

Even still you will get the occasional small gap, good time to make use of your utility if it's needed, although your rotation comes second if your utility is desperately needed to save a death or some such.
ret doesn't have a "filler" ability, it is all about running the proper rotation to maximize dps.
occasionally you will have a second or two of downtime even with a great rotation

Unless you mean during burn phases, there are plenty of times where I need to pop Sacred Shield or Hand of Sacrifice just for the GCD to fill in the 3-4 second downtime.
No matter what stage you are in your rotation you always need to exo as soon as it procs.

I am hoping you don't follow that when you have 5 Holy power
Thanks all, some good tips.
I like having a break in between abilities. If you think ret has too much downtime, play a frost dk for while.

My poor aching fingers, always pressing buttons. =*(
First off, Ret Pallys do NOT have a "rotation" to follow. We have a set "priority", which is definitely different than a rotation. Also, do not listen to anyone that says it is ok to let inquisition fall off for a second or two. You NEVER let inquisition fall off, if anything, renew it a few seconds ahead of time if you need to. As far as Holy Prism, you should only use that talent choice in pvp, it is NEVER good for a pve fight. ALWAYS use Lights Hammer for aoe and Execution Sentence for single target. You should go to elitistjerks.com for an entire explanation of a Ret Pallys abilities and priority list. Also, for anything else you would like to know about a Ret Pally. The best info. in the game by far.
First off, Ret Pallys do NOT have a "rotation" to follow. We have a set "priority", which is definitely different than a rotation.

Glad to hear this. Because I am finding that "priority" is def what it is considering "rotation" can vary by circumstance.

Also, do not listen to anyone that says it is ok to let inquisition fall off for a second or two. You NEVER let inquisition fall off, if anything, renew it a few seconds ahead of time if you need to.

Are you speaking pve, pvp, or both? I am constantly tempted by verdict for the big single strike in pvp encounters.

As far as Holy Prism, you should only use that talent choice in pvp, it is NEVER good for a pve fight.

Thank you for this. I find conflicting info and conflicting advice all over the place, but my own thoughts led me to prism in pvp for lesser cooldown time and greater utility as damage or a heal.

ALWAYS use Lights Hammer for aoe and Execution Sentence for single target.

Execution makes perfect sense pve. I have never seen it crit though. Bad luck on my part or does it not have a crit chance?
02/04/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Loleeta
Execution makes perfect sense pve. I have never seen it crit though. Bad luck on my part or does it not have a crit chance?

Each tick has a chance to crit. Must've been really bad luck if you've never seen it crit.
My comment was generally about pve, but in pvp, you try and have Inquisition up as much as possible. Even if you are running across BG and then come up to enemies and start fighting, of course your inquisition would not be up, so you should hit judgment, and when you have one holy power, hit inquisition, then follow priority list. Because without inquisition up, our attacks really are "blah". Now, with that said, in the next patch, they will be changing inquisition to where we will not be able to refresh inquisition without having 3 holy power, which sucks imo. We should be able to refresh inquisition with one, two or three holy power, whenever we want, like it is now, so I don't understand the reasoning behind the change?

As far as Execution Sentence critting, yes, it does, you must have just had some bad luck. All damaging attacks do 200% damage when they crit, including each tick of ES, before the metagem, except of course exorcism.
02/04/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Maxximus
As far as Execution Sentence critting, yes, it does, you must have just had some bad luck. All damaging attacks do 200% damage when they crit, including each tick of ES, before the metagem, except of course exorcism.

Exorcism crits for 200% just like any other (non-modified) spell.
02/04/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Loleeta

Crit is the only secondary stat to have a direct benefit on any of the L90 abilities. I don't "see" it crit often, but I'm not really looking at my damage - too busy focused on the fight.
Ret scales with haste astoundingly fast. The more haste you get, the more buttons you push. The more buttons you push, the smoother the rotation feels. The smoother the rotation feels, the faster you kill things. The faster you kill things, the more time you have to seduce the girl next door.

Basically:

Haste = Girls
I always try to maintain enough hopo to tv for those times, even if it means letting inq lapse.

Awesome. I hope you aren't telling anyone to do this, on these forums or anywhere.

Holy prism still hits very hard and you should be using it on cd, it's a good filler.

For questing and PVP, sure. For dungeons and raids, it's going to be between ES and LH. Period.

Exo procs are also the biggest dps increase and way to avoid blank spots that we have.

Yes, RNG is a great filler to depend on.

No matter what? Are you !@#$ing serious?

Please stop posting misinformation.