Illidan... Dead or Alive?

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
The knights of the Ebon blade are gonna bring him back. :D
02/03/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Sefoniel
We've been teased that Illidan might come back. The question is how? if you have an idea of how he might come back post it.
What if, after Illidan and his armies had been defeated that when Arthas had awakened, he used a portal to Outland, taken Illidan's body and brought it back to his citadel, and then brought him back to life as a Death Knight, and then stowed him away until Arthas had been defeated. And then Illidan escaped from Icecrown, procured another portal back to Outland, and then is going to be returning there? Imagine all the powers of a Death Knight in a Demon Hunter. It'd be like a more awesome Lich King 2.0. All that needs to happen now is that he needs to return to Icecrown, kill Bolvar, take the Helm of Domination for himself, and then open up a transdimensional portal from Shadowmoon Valley to Icecrown.
Killed Ragnaros. He came back.
Killed Onyxia. She came back.
Killed Nefarian. He came back.
Killed all of Naxramas. They all came back.
Killed all of ZG. most of them came back.
Killed all of ZA. most of them came back.
Killed Kael'thas Sunstrider, twice in the same expansion.

so saying Illidan is dead and not coming back is just wishful thinking. some people don't stay dead in the warcraft universe.
Killed Kael'thas Sunstrider, twice in the same expansion.

Once :). We never killed him the first time, and it was well known by the event in Shat.

Anyway, I'm actually pro Illidan, but lets be honest, with how they handle night elf characters there really isn't any way it will be good.

So, you know, a repeat of BC.
The obvious out here is to say that Illidan's transformation with the Skull made him truly demonic, so when we killed him he was just banished to the nether. Where he's either been waging a guerrilla war against the Legion or is tied up in a dungeon somewhere to be a pit lord's !@#$%.
02/05/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Leviathan
The obvious out here is to say that Illidan's transformation with the Skull made him truly demonic, so when we killed him he was just banished to the nether. Where he's either been waging a guerrilla war against the Legion or is tied up in a dungeon somewhere to be a pit lord's !@#$%.
Considering what's happened to Magtheridon I doubt the second option.
Being part demon, I don't think death is as simple for Illidan as the people who hate characters coming back from the dead make it seem. I know it violates the hipster rule of everything that is cool is not cool, but it wouldn't make sense to just have Illidan disappear after all the events in his story.

Kil'jaden was pursuing Illidan, who is capable of tearing your soul itself out of your body if he so wishes, and is also capable of raising the dead, through his creation of the Plague and the Scourge.

I would not be surprised if KJ got his hands on Illidan after his soul drifted beyond the confines of Outland through some means.

Or, Illidan in his insanity and paranoia over assassination attempts, used the Reliquary of Souls in the Black Temple as a sort of "back up" or save point, imbued with his essence should he be killed.

I always thought the Reliquary seemed like a reflection of Illidan's inner emotions, it looks like his face even. The female seemed like his preoccupation with Tyrande and his anguish over his love for her. I think his return could be tied into that.

I could see him forced into servitude after death, sort of like Todd Mcfarlane's Hellspawn comic book series. I could see him fighting for the Legion and somehow learning of Sargeras' impending return, which would inspire him to redeem himself and somehow warn Azeroth of the coming invasion.

I mentioned in another thread, I've seen more far fetched conspiracy plots in stories than this, but I could imagine Kil'jaeden purposefully planting the idea of Gul'dan's skull being used in Nerz'hul's mind, as a way to bind him to KJ and the Legion in some way, which Nerzhul later ended up manipulating Illidan to use, so it would be a cool way to tie Illidan's turning into a demon with KJ's master manipulations. Through incidental accident, as if KJ wanted NZ to use the skull for someone else, but he ended up with Illidan instead, who is very valiable to KJ in his own right.

But even my love for demon hunters aside, Illidan took me a while to appreciate as a character, and it's not my bias for demon hunters that has me thinking Illidan should come back somehow. It just wouldn't make sense for him to die that easily in a world where ghosts exists, undead exist, souls exist, demon like aliens and god like aliens exist, etc.

I think it's just kind of pretentious to sit there and say "death needs to mean something" therefor Illidan coming back at all is just "rule of cool" and automatically bad.
here's a story idea. it's mixture of other's thoughts.

Illidan absorbed the power from the Skull of Guldan. what if… unknowingly Illidan took in the soul of Guldan, and when Illidan fought Arthas it was Illidan's soul that got sucked into Frostmourne.
This could explain Illidan's change in mental state at the time.

We defeat Illidan, banishing Guldan's soul, leaving Illidan's body comatose.
We defeat the Lich King, releasing Illidan's soul. That soul eventually find it's way back to it's body.

Illidan reborn.
Perhaps the bigger question here is would Illidan come back as a villain or an ally?

If the legion were to be the adversary i would expect Illidan to fight with us, but really that all depends on the events of resurrection.
There's also the problem that when Illidan was killed, he was killed in the Twisting Nether. Outland exists in the Twisting Nether, not the Great Dark Beyond.

Some demons when killed, die permanently, others get sent back to the nether. In saying that, what happens with demons if they are killed when in the nether? Do they then die permanently?

If Illidan was only half demon when he was killed in BC, then I'd say he could make a come back, but if he was full demon then he could very well be dead permanently. Either way I wouldn't mind him coming back, I did like his character.

Also, hello all! Long time Story Forum lurker here, finally got the chance to post :)
There is no evidence to support that he is alive, because I helped Maiev and Akama kill him, he fell over and died.

The evidence would be that the developers want to bring him back. The subject was mentioned at Blizzcon and the audience exploded with enthusiasm.

People want Illidan back. Blizzard wants to bring him back. Blizzard storytelling has always run on Rule of Cool, and Illidan is pretty much the coolest character they've created. They recognize that they screwed up his story (and a bit of story in general) in BC.

The best thing to do is accept it as an inevitability, and look on the bright side.

I'm actually hoping that they have decided not to do this for the sake of the character, and rather, focus on characters who need to be developed - not characters that they want to bring back.

AND the best thing for me to do is to hope blizzard still has some common sense.

Illidan was a cool character. They shouldn't tarnish what they've fought so hard to accomplish.

AND again

In Wolfheart, you also read about Maiev trying to rid herself of her memories of Illidan.

Pg. 40

"In her mind, each target bore the visage of a male night elf whose eyes were covered by cloth, as if he were blind. Sometimes the details of the face changed, but it was ever recognizable in her thoughts. She knew that face better than her own, having stared at it so much. In fact, her current exercise was also a futile attempt to eradicate the memory."

"But still she tried, slaying him again and again. That she had done so in truth did not matter. Whether as a cunning prisoner in the barrows or a demon seeking power over the world, Illidan Stormrage would forever be burned into Maiev's very soul."

He is stone cold dead, and his corpse is probably hidden somewhere that only Maiev would know, even assuming that she kept it, instead preferring to destroy it.

/thread.

P.S. You don't want them bringing back Krasus or Rhonin do you?
^

Fourm police everyone hide.

Also.

Illidians got slashed by frostmourne in warcraft III:Frozen throne, So maybe that slash took his Night elf soul and all that remanded after was his demon soul that is why he went insane? Also since frostmourne was broken....

Tis is true, his free soul could find his body perhaps?
^

Fourm police everyone hide.

lol not what I was going for, just wanted to refer to some other ideas without typing them out again
02/06/2013 12:15 AMPosted by Darmonic
Tis is true, his free soul could find his body perhaps?

No soul trapped by frostmourne went back to their body. There is no evidence to prove that its even possible or that it was even something that actually happened.

Ergo, Vis-à-vis, Invalidated.

Oh, and I also created the Matrix.
Still, Illidan's soul is probably still out there, and we know that demon hunters can be resurrected.
It's worth noting that the Observers joined the Illidari, but even after Illidan's death they're still staying around Outland.

That's from the new warlock quests.
It's worth noting that the Observers joined the Illidari, but even after Illidan's death they're still staying around Outland.

That's from the new warlock quests.

The observers, even without Illidan, are intelligent beings, and they still have a lot of fel energy to revel and nourish them in outland.
P.S. You don't want them bringing back Krasus or Rhonin do you?

They were boring though.

No soul trapped by frostmourne went back to their body. There is no evidence to prove that its even possible or that it was even something that actually happened.

It juts might not have happened yet. Maybe a nathrezims soul was trapped in their, and when it gets freed, it would come go back to the cycle and go spawn in the nether like nothing happened. So it is possible for illidan.