I came "Out" today...

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
I was talking to one of my bosses today, going over a case and talking work jargon. Instead of using our work term "NCP", I accidently, and without thinking, used the term "NPC". My boss stop for a second then continued typing on the computer and she asked, "Do you play video games?".

I hesitantly replied, "uhhh, ummm...yes. How'd you know?". She told me my slip up in using the term NPC and told me she used to be a "former WoW addict".

I came out publicly today as a WoW gamer...it was always my secret that only a few people knew.
Careful, this kind of "coming out" may lead to more discrimination than the other one!

LOLS! (true though.)
Pfft I never keep it a secret, maybe somebody will play and be awesomesauce too.
...Why is it such a big deal?

Lots of people are gamers nowadays.
Well okay then. I don't particularly see that as a source of shame or something that needs to be hidden, but different strokes for different folks.
I have a feeling people are just going to read the title and turn this into a gay bash argument.
02/01/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Marryann
Why would you hide that you play WoW?
Because other type people seem to judge you as no life person instead of going out to the bar and socializing with others. You stay home and drink your beer and socializing with others which is much cheaper too. Also, it's like Virgin it's dirty word but now days it's like WoW it's a dirty word.
I wear WoW shirts when I go out. Haters gonna hate, jellers gonna jel
...Why is it such a big deal?

Lots of people are gamers nowadays.

I agree.

But, for some reason there's still a stigma of sorts associated with online gaming. Everyone seems to think you're an addict / potential mass murderer.
Also I just realized that if you were to compare with how I'm a gamer to something gay I would be one of those sassy drag queens of gamers.

It's hard to hide it when you have a Pikachu tattoo on your leg. All I'm sayin'
It's not like hiding you are an arsonist or something, hell most people I've met play games. I wore a Horde shirt to the store and met a ton of friends from it!
02/01/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Rosenivy
I have a feeling people are just going to read the title and turn this into a gay bash argument.

Humanity is falling farther and farther from salvation.

When Make Love not Warcraft came out, I was in school and everyone watched South Park in my class, the day after it aired people were talking about it and then they said losers only play WoW.

I gladly gave them a piece of my mind and proudly walked to the office, everyone knew I was a WoW player from that day on.

/HighPaw (24 Hour no HighPaw is now done, hope you haters liked it)
I hide it at my school. I'm 14 and most people would turn me into a super nerd if I told anyone I played wow. So I've only told like 4 people.
My supervisor would play his PSP during lunch break.

Ya gots ta open up and be free, man.
I don't hide it from people but I also don't really "announce" it. There's a guy in my office that's known as "the gamer". He plays golf games and FPS games on his Xbox. That's what he's known as so I wouldn't want to steal his thunder or step on his toes.

My boss knows I play WoW because we were talking about computers once and I mentioned that my Netbook is pretty nice. I mentioned that it "even runs World of Warcraft". She thought nothing of it since her son plays too :)

If I'm asked, I'll say yes. Otherwise, I don't really announce that I play. I wear my Horde sweatshirt on Fridays sometimes but I don't think anyone knows what it is ;p

♥ Aune
02/01/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Kybeorie
Careful, this kind of "coming out" may lead to more discrimination than the other one!

Trying being both baby.
02/01/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Sarinda
I hide it at my school. I'm 14 and most people would turn me into a super nerd if I told anyone I played wow. So I've only told like 4 people.

Don't worry, The Big Bang Theory taught everyone that it's cool to be a nerd.