Error 114 in japan (MAC)

Mac Technical Support
so my girlfriend got a new macbook pro yesterday and decided to give wow a try. She downloaded the client and set up a batle.net account and added the free 10 day trial.

upon reaching the log in screen she kept getting ERROR 114 (unable to log in) which has apparently become a common issue over the past week with south east asian ISPs. The odd thing is she was at my apartment at the time and i know my ISP works fine because i have total access to my account.

the stranger thing is she still has access to her battle.net account which we used to submit a ticket explaining the issue. Bliz responded with some links flush cache and DNS which we did in addition to attempting to use the 32-Bit client.

does anyone know what would be causing this and what i can do to resolve this situation before she just gets pissed and loses all interest?

i made my account years ago in the states if that helps. We registered hers to america also since we will be moving back in 6 months. would this have anything to do with it? im really confused.

all help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Same in Thailand.
02/02/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Xavios
Same in Thailand.

how long has it been going on for you? is it an old account from the states or a new trial you set up in thailand?
Just about to leave for work Monkeyhand but since it's evening time in Japan I'll get you to get some info for me.

1) What you currently have your DNS set to. You can find this in the System Preferences under Network.

2) A traceroute to us.depot.battle.net

You can do this with these instructions :

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/performing-a-traceroute

Except where it says "Fill in the appropriate server address" use us.depot.battle.net

ie command should be :

traceroute us.depot.battle.net

Then copy/paste the results.
Thanks for the help Bluspacecow.

are you asking what my "DNS: Server" is or the "Search Domains"?
maybe some other part of the DNS tab? my girlfriend has a very different set up on her network info so im unsure of exactly what i should be looking for.

as for the "traceroute us.depot.battle.net" her results are clearly screwed up because shes getting the following...

RoXXXXook-Pro:~ NXXXXe$ traceroute us.depot.battle.net
traceroute: unknown host us.depot.battle.net
RoXXXXook-Pro:~ NXXXXe$

thanks again
02/03/2013 03:52 AMPosted by Monkeyhand
are you asking what my "DNS: Server" is or the "Search Domains"?

The "DNS: Server" part . I thought that would of been on the front page of the Network preference pane.

Which version of the operating system is on that Macbook ?

RoXXXXook-Pro:~ NXXXXe$ traceroute us.depot.battle.net
traceroute: unknown host us.depot.battle.net

Is your computer a Mac ?

Does the Macbook have general internet working in your apartment ?
02/02/2013 05:48 PMPosted by Monkeyhand
Bliz responded with some links flush cache and DNS which we did in addition to attempting to use the 32-Bit client.

Which order was this done in ?

DNS cache flush needs to be done after switching the DNS.

IE

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using (scroll down to Mac OS X)

Then :

Open Applications ->Utilities -> terminal

Type out the following lines with a return at the end of each line.

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
sudo killall mDNSResponder
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
Let us know if this does not work, so we can investigate further. Thanks!
ok I did that traceroute thing and dis is the result, so what do i do then pls respond as I'm dying to play wow again
02/06/2013 05:11 PMPosted by Shivandragon
ok I did that traceroute thing and dis is the result, so what do i do then pls respond as I'm dying to play wow again

I need the top part of it.

Ie the :

traceroute to us.depot.battle.net (12.120.106.128), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

part.

Can you do a ping to us.depot.battle.net instead ?

ping -c 5 us.depot.battle.net
thank you for ur quick reply

(Fyi just bought dis iMac and I'm not that good with computeraaronstraceroute

64 bytes from 68.232.45.253: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=37.961 ms
64 bytes from 68.232.45.253: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=36.224 ms
64 bytes from 68.232.45.253: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=36.795 ms
64 bytes from 68.232.45.253: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=40.491 ms
64 bytes from 68.232.45.253: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=35.387 ms

--- gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

thank you in advance
traceroute to gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net (68.232.45.253), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

64 bytes from 68.232.45.253: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=37.961 ms

Yeah that's what I thought.

The server at 68.232.45.253 seems to be bugged and handing out corrupt data somehow. This is then being cached somehow which is why some workarounds are working for some people and not others. You need to not only do a change to make sure it's not mapping to that AND clear your cache folders.

More info at :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7810052558

Work arounds posted at post # 3

The goal of all the workarounds is to make sure us.depot.battle.net DOES NOT get mapped to 68.232.45.253 and there is NOT bad cache data in your Cache folders. Cache folder locations are in post #1 (under CACHE FOLDER LOCATIONS (TO DELETE))

Let me know if you need help implementing the work arounds.
As a NZ player just a note about but the remapping (either via Google DNS or via Hosts file change)

It may initially cause slightly higher latency as the data going to the depot server is going somewhere a bit further away IE a higher ping time.

This should even out a bit within 5 - 10 minutes (mine evened out while doing a Scenario)
if you don't mind would you please help me implementing it as I just got on mac and I'm still a bit lost navigating on mac
1) Switch to Google Public DNS

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

2) Flush your DNS cache :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5343

Terminal commands are run from Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

3) Delete the following folders :

Mac HD -> Users -> Shared -> Battle.net
Mac HD -> Applications -> World of Warcraft -> Cache
Mac HD -> Applications -> World of Warcraft -> Data -> Cache

(be sure not to touch anything else in the Data folder)

4) Load up this page in a web browser :

http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt

It should say :

00 Test successful.

Do not attempt to go near the Launcher or open the wow client until you see this message in a web browser.

If it doesn't work then do another traceroute to us.depot.battle.net and post your results.
please don't hate me but how do u change my DNS to https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using?
nvm I googled the dns thing >.<
thanks bro for providing everything that i needed on ur last post, if ever ur in Sydney give us a yell, as I owe u a beer. btw it worked :)
Your welcome.

Getting flak over it on another thread tho :(. Mostly cause I linked the OP to the thread on my research I did and they come back with "didn't work". Which tells me nothing about what they tried or what us.depot.battle.net mapped to.

It's after 5 am here in NZ so I'm off to bed. Long night at work.
I followed each of the instructions and it worked like a charm! Thank you for all your input and help!!