Dawn of the Aspects - Part 1 Coming Soon*

Story Forum
02/07/2013 02:29 AMPosted by Lacryma
Thanks for posting it Neth. I gotta say, I don't know why so many people bash Knaak. He's a really talented writer imho, and from what I read, I like.

I think this is the beauty of reading books written by different authors. Their style is going to appeal differently to one person than it does another. There are many times my friends and colleagues will absolutely rave about a particular author, but when I go to read, I find I'm turned off by them and can't agree.

Likewise, there are many people that prefer the way I relate information over one of my colleagues or vice versa. Hopefully, overall, we manage to convey the information that's most important/relevant and that more people enjoy it than not. We can't please all the people all of the time, but hopefully, those that may not be happy about the author selection will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome. As always, the Creative Development team is working very closely with Mr. Knaak as well as the other authors to make sure that we're delivering the best stories we can.
02/06/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Nethaera
Author Richard A. Knaak explores the history of the former Dragon Aspects in this five part mini-series.

As long as he's writing about the past, and not the present/future of the game, I'm fine with this.

I'll not read it, but then again, that's part of my anti-knaack reading boycott.

Knaakful writing is hackful writing.
who is knaak and why is he a bad writer? I thought you needed schooling to be an author. :I
Honestly its not his writing skill, but his creating Mary Sue characters, and ret-conning known lore so that his characters become integral parts of the game plot, that draws the hate of fans.

Next he'll write that Deathwing was actually the saving the world from an never before heard of bigger more evil dragon, and is not the destroyer, that Kalecgos and Jaina are having a baby, and that Keristrasza did not actually die but that the magical forces of the Nexus recreated her as a mage who marries Varian to become Queen of Stormwind.
Typical Knaak WoW Novel.
Honestly its not his writing skill, but his creating Mary Sue characters, and ret-conning known lore so that his characters become integral parts of the game plot, that draws the hate of fans.

Next he'll write that Deathwing was actually the saving the world from an never before heard of bigger more evil dragon, and is not the destroyer, that Kalecgos and Jaina are having a baby, and that Keristrasza did not actually die but that the magical forces of the Nexus recreated her as a mage who marries Varian to become Queen of Stormwind.
Typical Knaak WoW Novel.

I think you know that isn't going to happen. Considering how Neltharion is acting pre Dragon he still ends up as the Destroyer. Knaack is only handling dragons. We need to stop sensationalizing Knaack.
Some people prefer Mozart, other people prefer Creed. That doesn't mean that Creed is a good band or makes good music.
I think this is the beauty of reading books written by different authors. Their style is going to appeal differently to one person than it does another. There are many times my friends and colleagues will absolutely rave about a particular author, but when I go to read, I find I'm turned off by them and can't agree.

Likewise, there are many people that prefer the way I relate information over one of my colleagues or vice versa. Hopefully, overall, we manage to convey the information that's most important/relevant and that more people enjoy it than not. We can't please all the people all of the time, but hopefully, those that may not be happy about the author selection will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome. As always, the Creative Development team is working very closely with Mr. Knaak as well as the other authors to make sure that we're delivering the best stories we can.

I'm not much of a reader, I'll admit, but there are very, very few authors out there that I absolutely cannot stand. Knaak is one of them, and it's a real shame he's always working on Warcraft.

Though unlike other people who dislike his use of original characters and poor dialogue, personally I just hate his writing style as a whole. I don't think I've ever actually managed to stomach a Knaak book long enough to see the bigger reasons why he is such a loathed author for his actual content. I've been trying to read Day of the Dragon for years as it is the last novel in my Warcraft Archive that I need to finish. I just can't do it.

His writing style is just unbelievably bad in my opinion. I've read quite a few Warcraft books and finished all of them except for a handful - it wasn't until a while later that I realized that all the ones I couldn't finish were written by him. (Not most; all.) I've never really paid attention to authors for books or actors for movies - I want to see what it is, not who did it. Those realizations come during or after the fact!

I'm sorry, but if history is any indication, I'm not even going to try to read this. I'll let someone in trade chat summarize it in one chat box.
Umm. Anywho...

When can we expect a novel or short story about Chromie? The aspects are all well and good but it would be neat to start getting into the nittygritty of the non-aspect dragons and how their flights are handling the shift of Azeroth. We've spent so much time with Kalec and co. that most of us can pretty much tell how they're going to act/respond to things. Let's get to some of the lesser dragons that are dealing with things in different ways!
Hopefully chromie will be written by Golden.
02/07/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Aixedox
who is knaak and why is he a bad writer? I thought you needed schooling to be an author. :I

Let me summarize this answer with Knaack's worst writing sins

Rhonin

http://www.wowpedia.org/Rhonin

-Was Illidan's "Mentor"
-Saved a raptor who's descendants somehow recognized him in the future and then gained access to a "Raptor Army"
-Got to come back midway through his excellent Adventure to witness his children being born and then went back in time again.

How bout that Broxigar?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Broxigar

Created a MOUNTAIN of demon bodies and then proceeded to scratch the Lord of the Burning Legion, the titan Sargeras.

Howabout Krasus too hmm?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Krasus

Just read it and weep.

These are why Knaack is criticized so deeply by the wow story community, just to name a few.
The first book I read by Knaak was "The Legend of Huma", part of the famous Dragonlance series. It came out in 1988, when I was thirteen, and I liked it a lot. But then again, I was thirteen at the time, so, really, what did I know?

The second Kanaak book I read was WoW's "The War of the Ancients". Like others - like most? - readers, I found his "Mary Sue" characters implausible and unsympathetic. The "Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court" plot, where the protagonist goes back in time and interacts with famous people - sound familiar? - is so overdone it was already being parodied a century ago by Mark Twain. War of the Ancients is as along as a Tom Clancy, James Mitchner or a later JK Rowling Harry Potter novel: too long, in other words. All of these authors do not seem to want to suffer an editor. I'll say this for Knaak though: he does have some skill in writing epic battle scenes.

The third Knaak novel I read was "Day of the Dragon". Bought in hardcover, which will no doubt please the interested stakeholders. But who am I kidding, even as $2 used paperback I'd still regret my purchase. An eminently forgettable book with more of the same uninteresting characters from Knaaks infertile brain.

I could not get through a fourth, "Stormrage". This time I bought it paperback, but I literally could not finish the book. This surprised me, since I always finish what I start reading. It was just that bad.

There will not be a fifth.

Meanwhile, Blizzard hires Christie Golden and makes Knaak seem even worse in comparison.

Three pro tips, Blizzard, in regards to WoW's printed literature.

1. Fire Kanaak.

2. Keep Golden.

3. Stop putting so many major lore reveals outside of the game: you're putting the cart before the horse and have been doing it for years.

1. Fire Knaak.

2. Keep Golden.

3. Stop putting so many major lore reveals outside of the game: you're putting the cart before the horse and have been doing it for years.

This x1000.
02/07/2013 08:40 AMPosted by Nethaera
Thanks for posting it Neth. I gotta say, I don't know why so many people bash Knaak. He's a really talented writer imho, and from what I read, I like.

Here's what I don't understand.

His books sell, generally, what was it? Like 100k copies? Is that even a lot for a game with this many fans?

Bashing his work is something that has happened so often among the players that it's a cliche now to do so.

And yet, he still gets continually hired.

I'm sure there are hundreds of people out there who would make more quality work than he does. And yet, Blizzard doesn't even do the short story contest anymore to find this talent.

And I'll be honest, among the people I ever talk to who does like his work, they tend to follow into these categories:

-People who seldom read

-People who aren't yet adults

-People who are big fantasy fans, but defend Knaak's style because "it gets the job done". As in, these people aren't looking for the next Lord of the Rings or anything, they just want popcorn fantasy with bloodless violence and stiff dialogue.

1. Fire Kanaak.

2. Keep Golden.

/thread.
Knaack isn't horrible, he just has his strengths and weaknesses. Stop making him write about the Alliance. At least not non-Humans. Dragons are fine.

Golden isn't perfect. I have no idea what they're doing with Baine but there are some serious mixed reactions about him. He's too buddy-buddy with the Alliance.

Books about minor characters who expand the world are fine. Events that affect our leaders and factions should remain in game or in online stories.
02/07/2013 02:22 PMPosted by Seebach
-Saved a raptor who's descendants somehow recognized him in the future and then gained access to a "Raptor Army"

Haha I'm glad I never read this book.
02/08/2013 12:51 PMPosted by Gethrian
Knaack isn't horrible, he just has his strengths and weaknesses.

Knaack's strengths
-Being able to be constantly be rehired to write books for blizzard

Knaack's weaknesses
-Writing good stories with well produced characters

I remember reading wolfheart and I nearly put it down after the fifth or sixth usage of "asuage"
02/08/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Seebach
Knaack isn't horrible, he just has his strengths and weaknesses.

Knaack's strengths
-Being able to be constantly be rehired to write books for blizzard

Knaack's weaknesses
-Writing good stories with well produced characters

I remember reading wolfheart and I nearly put it down after the fifth or sixth usage of "asuage"

That is your perception talking. So far I'm having no issues with his discussion of dragons.
02/07/2013 02:22 PMPosted by Seebach

I won't comment on Knaaks writing or anything, but I will comment on this.

I'm tired of everyone using the Raptor Army as an excuse. All Rhonin did was use the mannerisms of the Raptors to try and establish a dominance. Which is basically whats done in every kind of wild animal encounter, usually not trying to dominate them but still establish some sort of connection. Honestly the only real thing he did was stare down the leader, not much else till Iridi helped out.

He used the situation to his advantage, the Raptors were restless and encountering trouble from Grim Batol and seeked new lessed troubled lands, which is where the Dwarves came in. They had trouble before but nothing like now because the Raptors wanted to be away from Grim Batol.

Also it wasn't Rhonin only that was there, Iridi used her powers to form a mental connection to provide some images to their minds. The Raptor just so happened to remember Rhonin from before we he helped expel the Orcs, it's not that surprising.

It has been stated before that the Raptors in WoW are highly intelligent, much more then most Animals and even in Stormrage this is portrayed with many other animals pairing up with the Raptor in the Dream Battle.

So I don't understand why people keep blowing this out of proportion when all Rhonin did was use a tricky situation and turned it into a good situation.