lowb dungeon mage tanks

Mage
Have any of the veteran mage players here, who have levelled lots of rerolled mages, ever tanked a level 15-30 dungeon _as_ mages in BOAs? Just curious.
Yes, I have. On this character as a matter of fact. I find myself tanking MoP Heroics too, if the healer is competent enough, I won't instantly hit ice block or invis.
02/06/2013 02:43 PMPosted by Arshika
Yes, I have. On this character as a matter of fact. I find myself tanking MoP Heroics too, if the healer is competent enough, I won't instantly hit ice block or invis.

It surprises me that a clothie can tank MoP heroics (if you're being serious). Can you tell me how you do that?
02/06/2013 02:43 PMPosted by Arshika

Ummmm why the heck are you fire for pve? dumb hordies.
@ Drphilkiller

Because I play the game for the fun of it, not to fall into a continous cookie cutter spec that everybody else thinks I should be playing. So go get punted gnome.

@Ziima

I tend to pull aggro a lot, and most of the time its when I spread my combustion making it difficult for the tank to pull aggro back. Thus I have aggro, and thus for the time being, I am tanking. I have tanked sha of doubt on heroic because the tank got locked out, we killed the boss; and I had aggro the whole time. EXCELLENT HEALER. That is what I meant, I don't que as tank; that is just stupid, and if that is what you think I meant; you should be punted like Drphilkiller.
No, I know a mage can't q as tank, at least at the levels I've played. :) Relax. And thanks for the explanation.

I really wanna try tanking as a mage now. A coupla questions:

1) What gear do I need in order to pull it off?
2) What's a good rotation for holding aggro without dying?
3) What's the best spec for this purpose?
4) What if the heals is less than brilliant?
5) What special strategies are involved that mages normally don't use?

Thanks for your help.
Its called gaining aggro faster than anybody else can. That is usually accomplished by doing loads of dps. And if the healer can't keep up, just ice block, then invis afterwards. Keeping icebarrier and incanter's ward up as often as possible tends to help too.
02/07/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Arshika
And if the healer can't keep up, just ice block, then invis afterwards.

lol.

"If the healer can't keep up, well... just get them killed."