Prot Pally DPS Questions

Paladin
Ok, so this is my first time tanking and I went with Pally because they seemed the easiest to learn on top of having major self-heals.

I haven't had any major problems with playing tank (that I'm aware) until now. I hit level 82 and around level 81 I realized I was having an extremely hard time doing any damage.

In three different dungeons, I solidly hit the #2 spot on recount for overall damage in all dungeons. #1 went to a hunter twice and a lock once. All those times, their DPS was double mine.

My understanding is that a tank is a mitigator, we're not about damage as much as we are just there to hold the attention of mobs for DPS to down. However, it seems like a perk to being a tank is you generally hit the top of the DPS meter. (It didn't help that the healer was insinuating on the last dungeon that the Lock should just tank and they switched their healing priority to the Lock's pet and the Lock herself. This is what made me start thinking, something must be wrong.)

So here are my questions:
1 -- Am I doing something wrong by not being the top contributor to damage in dungeons?
2 -- Is my gear somehow all wrong? I know I need to replace my BoA cape, but I thought that essentially my gear was OK.
3 -- Would using another Seal make a difference in damage-dealing? I was actually tanking with Seal of Truth since it became available. I only switch to Seal of Insight if the healer dies or we're at a near-wipe. I've never really touched Seal of Righteousness.
Honestly, tank damage becomes less OP the higher levels you get to, unless you're severely overgeared and/or overlevelled for the dung you're running, DPS should be competing or destroying you at your level, depending on their class, spec and if it's an AoE pull or a single target fight.

If you really want to have some fun, AoE pull everything with SoI & SS up, and hope your healer can keep up. More mobs hitting you = more vengeance = more DPS.
Low level tanking is vastly different from max level tanking. As you get closer to 90, you notice your baseline damage decreasing by a lot. This is because the damage you take ramps up - dealing with it in a reasonable manner is the whole idea behind tanking of course, and you get a percent of the unmitigated damage you take as Vengeance (bonus attack power) so in reality, if you're getting hit hard you're going to do decent damage.

Threat tends to be a joke regardless of what's going on (unless there's something really wonky happening - see next paragraph), but Vengeance helps ensure that you hold aggro and deal decent damage on difficult fights.

(It didn't help that the healer was insinuating on the last dungeon that the Lock should just tank and they switched their healing priority to the Lock's pet and the Lock herself. This is what made me start thinking, something must be wrong.)

Warlock pets have a couple options that can screw with you. One of them has a flat-out taunt, which is stupid but obvious. The more devious one is called "Threatening Presence" which increases the pet's threat generation exponentially, making it extremely difficult for the real tank to hold aggro off of it. It shows up as an aura/buff on the pet itself, so if you click on it and mouse over its buffs and see "Threatening Presence", just ask the Warlock very nicely to remove it so you can tank.

As far as what seal to use... I'd recommend Righteousness for leveling 5-mans, with Insight if you have a bad/dead healer. Truth has a misleading tooltip - its damage got nerfed by 80% for Protection several months back, and Blizzard never saw fit to change the Seal of Truth tooltip to match. As a result, Truth and Righteousness do a similarly minute amount of damage single-target, while obviously Righteousness is a decent amount of AoE damage.

You're actually designed around tanking with Seal of Insight for anything that hits reasonably hard. I can't imagine that happens too much while leveling, but once you hit 90 you'll want to make it your default Seal. The self-healing scales very nicely with your Vengeance attack power.

edit: As far as gear goes, when you're leveling think of it this way: Crit is the only stat you'll find on plate Strength gear that is not useful for you. I'd lean towards Hit/Exp if you have the choice, but in reality you just float into and out of leveling pieces so quickly and there's no sense choosing. Heck, I would have no issues using a Crit piece if it had decent other stats - I'm using a Crit belt for my tank offspec at max level, even though it's a useless stat, it's a decent placeholder until I can get something with a relevant stat. (It does have Expertise, a really important stat, and 2 innate sockets that I can use to gem stats that don't suck.)
Thanks for the responses.

So, what I'm reading is that it's OK that I'm not topping DPS.

As for the warlock, I'll have to remember that for future reference. I know a lot of tanks who just make Locks pull out their imps, but I know that the felguards were made for dungeoning so I let them use them. But I was competing for aggro, which had to be because of the threatening presence.
Thanks for the responses.

So, what I'm reading is that it's OK that I'm not topping DPS.

As for the warlock, I'll have to remember that for future reference. I know a lot of tanks who just make Locks pull out their imps, but I know that the felguards were made for dungeoning so I let them use them. But I was competing for aggro, which had to be because of the threatening presence.

Your a tank your not there to DPS your there to TANK. End of the day if the group fails its not cause you were not #1 or #2 on recount.
Don't worry about it in lower levels. Hell, even when you hit Level 90 and you're doing Heroic Dungeons, don't sweat your DPS too much. If you stick to the Haste or Mastery builds, your DPS will progress nicely afterwards. It's really in raids when your DPS as a tank should at least be considered. You obviously want to help reach the enrage timers if you can (so long as you aren't actively giving up mitigation / causing wipes in the process).