Blacksmith's Repair Hammer!

Professions
Blacksmith should be able to repair weapons and armour. There could be a "Repair Hammer" that can be made and only used by a Blacksmith, very similar to Keys for lockboxes. There would be different "levels" of a Repair Hammer, for example, Iron, Mithril, Fel, Ghost-Iron, ect. And each can repair gear up to XX Item Level, but the hammer has it's own "Durability" which CAN NOT be repaired, so once it reaches Zero, it can't be used to repair anymore.

So players can now go to another player to get their gear repaired, (I don't know why Blizz needs gold anyways, they can make as much as they want.) whether the Blacksmith does it for free or for gold, is up to them. And before the Blacksmith repairs any gear, it will show how much "durability" the Repair Hammer will lose, so they can use that as a guide for how much to charge.

And There might be a lot of arguments like "why do only Blacksmiths get to repair gear?", so how about, a Blacksmith can repair all weapons and only Mail and Plate gear, and a Tailor (Or Leatherworker, whichever makes more sense.) can repair cloth and leather, using some type of special sewing needle or something.
Or, it could be a 600 skill and halves the price that blacksmith's repairs cost.

Seems to be an easier and more blizz-like option.
Engineers already have a Jeeves that repairs armor and weapons. Do we really need two professions that have the same item?
And if i recall correctly, you can buy a mount that also has a repair vendor on it.
Does it not still cost gold to repair from them? And since when did it matter if another profession has "the same item"

If that's the case, only one profession should have a mount? No point in multiple professions with the same item.
repairs serve the very important function of removing gold from the game.
02/02/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Bryr
So players can now go to another player to get their gear repaired, (I don't know why Blizz needs gold anyways, they can make as much as they want.)

Why would we want to go through the hassle of involving another player in a transaction that's currently nearly effortless?

And Blizzard doesn't "need" gold, but there is a compelling economic reason to have players spending gold on things. If you've ever been outraged that frostweave cloth is selling on the AH for 200g a stack, you know what that reason is.
02/04/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Zachfu

I'm pretty sure spending thousands of gold on mount training is good enough for that alone. And if that's not good, it's not like repairing is the only way gold goes back into the game.

AH cuts take a pretty decent amount of gold per transaction, buying mats for mounts or recipes, ect that don't drop anywhere. Buying mounts from vendors themselves.

And if you don't want to involve another player to help you out, then don't. Go to the repair NPC, just because it's an option in the game, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.
No one would use it short of intra-guild repairs. So all the cost of the repairs would just come out of the BS's pocket instead of through the guild. It basically serves as a repairbot. Why search for a BS to repair me for gold when an NPC can do it at any time and I can find them easily. it's a time = money situation. And it takes too much time with social things and finding each other. The item becomes almost moot, short of not having any repair bots/jeeves/mounts to work with.

I do like the idea of a hammer that while you have it reduces the cost of repairs by x%, should be able to be sold and assist with making money for BS's, slimier to the mist piercing goggles in eng. I can see that being a big seller and lots of people would want to use it (I'd line up for that... 50g repair bills... =P)
02/02/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Bryr
(I don't know why Blizz needs gold anyways, they can make as much as they want.)

Ow, my face.
Ow, my palm.
02/05/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Breathkeeper
(I don't know why Blizz needs gold anyways, they can make as much as they want.)

Ow, my face.
Ow, my palm.

Sorry, this is for mature people to talk. You can leave now :)
02/04/2013 10:54 PMPosted by Bryr

I'm pretty sure spending thousands of gold on mount training is good enough for that alone. And if that's not good, it's not like repairing is the only way gold goes back into the game.

AH cuts take a pretty decent amount of gold per transaction, buying mats for mounts or recipes, ect that don't drop anywhere. Buying mounts from vendors themselves.

And if you don't want to involve another player to help you out, then don't. Go to the repair NPC, just because it's an option in the game, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.

mount training is a one-and-done thing, so no i's not good enough. Think of how much you spent over the course of Cata on repairs compared to 2000 gold for your license(was it 2k or was it 1k I don't remember). I remember having gear break multiple times in a day, and while it's not unaffordable to shell out 100g or w/e the repair cost at the time, doing it hundreds of times adds up. Gold sinks like the JC mounts do ok at removing gold from the game, but they really don't remove enough, which is why you end up with inflated prices
Repairs are the gold sink for players that aren't tempted by vanity junk.

And yeah, repairs probably are not deleting enough gold from the economy. Repairs for many players are paid out of the guild bank, and that bank gets funds automatically through Cash Flow or weekly achieves.
02/04/2013 10:54 PMPosted by Bryr

i would say current gold sinks aren't near enough. Made even worse by the emphasis this xpack on dailies. Thats TONS of gold added to the game every day.

If they added something for Blacksmiths to repair their own gear imo it would have to be just kind of an RP thing, just make it use vendor bought mats
It is stupid for a blacksmith to ask another blacksmith to repair his own armor. As a dwarf i can't see how a furry panda knows more about my mail piece than me.
yea I can summon an anvil... I can summon a smelt for ore.... I can make an item on the things I just summoned... but if it gets a ding in it... you gotta go somewhere else to fix it cause I can't fix the stuff that I just made
just make it a quest line like I did in vanilla learning the Mitheral brotherhood and getting the summoned blacksmithing hammer... just instead make it a summoned apprentice like the cooking apprentice.