have a question for you hunters out there

Hunter
Okay so my hunter is almost 90, and I've got a concern about stampede.

Do I need to go through all my pets and make sure taunt is turned off? For a dungeon it's not a big deal, but I don't want to pop stampede in a raid and wipe us because one of my pets taunted and messed up a tanks stacks.

ty in advance :)
EDIT: I've been corrected. This post is wrong. Please disregard :)

iirc (I don't play a hunter, only read about them) the pets summoned by stampede do not have all of their abilities. They would have just the general attack ability. Don't quote me on this.
Yes, you do.
For each spec too.
Just get the Stampede glyph, it's a minor that spawns copies of your current pet - meaning if Growl is turned off for your current pet, it's turned off for every pet. Otherwise yes, you do. There's currently a bug that sometimes the clones will Growl anyway.
02/04/2013 04:18 PMPosted by Kyà
Do I need to go through all my pets and make sure taunt is turned off?

Yes.

Stampede uses all five pets you have on the pullout tab on your action bar.
(the 5 currently with you).

You need to summon each one individually and turn off auto-growl.
02/04/2013 04:25 PMPosted by Cavin
iirc (I don't play a hunter, only read about them) the pets summoned by stampede do not have all of their abilities. They would have just the general attack ability. Don't quote me on this.

I'll quote you to say that you're completely wrong. Pets summoned by stampede will use any ability that is set to autocast.
I just use the glyph on mine so I only need to make sure my active pet's growl is off.

Now if I could just figure out how to stop stampede from running off in multiple direction attacking anything nearby that I wasn't even engaged with.
For stampede, you will need to disable Growl, change all of the pets to Ferocity (for maximum dps) and make sure all of your damaging abilities for each pet are set to autocast.

An example of an ability that won't be used when Stampeding: Chimera AOE thing, as that's a manual cast.
Okay so my hunter is almost 90, and I've got a concern about stampede.

Do I need to go through all my pets and make sure taunt is turned off? For a dungeon it's not a big deal, but I don't want to pop stampede in a raid and wipe us because one of my pets taunted and messed up a tanks stacks.

ty in advance :)

Trick: If you stable all pets but one, you can save a glyph slot. The game will make 5 copies of your current pet automatically for Stampede and I think there's a lot less chance of having random autocasts.
I have a macro, I hit to dismiss the pet and cast autocast growl off and cower on...
I'm not sure why you would have auto-growl on ever unless you are questing on soloing and your pet is in tank spec. Other than that, it is useless and problematic, and will just earn you the name huntard. Stampede tends to pull aggro sometimes, possibly due to glitch, possibly due to the fact that 5 pets start beating the !@#$ out of the target all at once and does so much burst damage, is your first cast on bosses and can disturb the process of securing threat so just be aware but don't hold back.
Yes, you do.
For each spec too.
This if you don't use the Glyph.

I'll quote you to say that you're completely wrong. Pets summoned by stampede will use any ability that is set to autocast.

Additionally if using the glyph you can activate the ability on your main pet and all of them will cast it. 5x spirit beast heal = win
While using the Glyph for Spirit Beast heals is useful sometimes, it is important to remember that your stampede pets, if carefully selected, can bring four important debuffs in addition to your main pet that increase dps on a boss by you and your teammates, such 8% magic damage increase (nether ray), 12% weakened armor (raptor, 3 stacks of 4%) reduced casting speed (sporebat, plus they make rogues bleed from their !@#$), disarms, slows, interrupts, and others. While these debuffs are usually present from players in 25-man raids, sometimes 1-2 are missing in 10-mans, and often several of them are missing in 5-mans.

And yes, spec them all Ferocity and turn off their Growl in advance.
02/04/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Sevreth

Thanks. I've been corrected so I edited my original post to reflect this.
Raid bosses can't be taunted :)
I use the stampede glyph to simplify things. Simple is good.
02/05/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Muanu
Raid bosses can't be taunted :)

This. Growl and Distracting Shot both don't work on current raid bosses. Or a lot of old ones which can be annoying!