Meanwhile in South Korea...

General Discussion
Prev 1 18 19 20 26 Next
[quote="79063690758"]If folks are truly interested in offering their assistance to new players, I suggest you get your name added to the list in this thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981608215

Chalisse, Raziya, and I were fortunate enough to have been a part of a group of people whose guilds were selected by Blizzard for the Guild Mentoring Program. It was hectic and often difficult, and could be painful; but it was amazing. I got to watch first-hand a brand-new player become a supreme DPS Recount killer; and then was further rewarded when he, all on his own, took others under his wing to help them. When one of them found a rare a few levels higher than they and downed it solo, and then described for us all the tactics they'd used - that he'd taught them... It was one of my proudest moments as a guild leader.

Yes, the man in Korea may have been not as good as other players. The cultural commitment to success or die trying is strong over there; so it's heartwarming to see the change in the community. Western culture is different in many ways; but human beings are still human beings - we all feel (Ntaki, your post made me want to give you a big hug and a plate full of cookies). That some people cannot be helped, as has been said, should not prevent us from offering help when we see someone struggling. If they refuse, accept the refusal gracefully and move on. However, chances are they'll remember the kindness, if not the polite consideration given to their right to say "no thank you". Helping others is also your chance to pay it forward. After all, you didn't achieve greatness without at last a *little* help along the way.

Take just one half hour out of your gaming week to perform a random act of kindness to a stranger player. Doing this can take practice because helping a stranger requires a certain degree of tact, but keep at it. You'll be amazed at how good being nice to people can make you feel.
I felt kinda weird inside when i read this.

I mean ... the story is quite relatable, in some way or another we've been there, at some point. I hope the warrior gets new friends :)
I think we've all had those moments. I was a notoriously bad warlock in the burning crusade... the only reason i was "average" dps was because someone WAS kind enough to give me cookie cutter talents and i was in a non-serious guild where a handful of the dps were worse. In fact, if I wasn't naturally good as a healer (a skill I still have today :P) I definately wouldn't have raided as much as I did, and I don't think any guild would've put up with me.

I remember one time, I made a h shadowlabs pug, and my dps was so atrocious we couldn't do the last boss. About a day or two later, I would be in my guild when an officer (yes this was an officer) would start yelling at me at how bad I was. In the public chat. He even went so far as saying he was going to leave the guild because I was in it (this was when I was levelling my holy priest still in my REALLY horrendous days). I eventually left, and was later invited back by the guild leader who apologized saying it was completely uncalled for, but the guy and I never really spoke after that. From what I saw later on, he got really hooked on WoW, HAD to quit because his playing affected his real life that much, came back for WotLK (i remember because he was grouped with my friend when we were talking and he tried to be cordial but i was just like "lol no don't talk to me") and I think quit again because it was once again taking control... In any case he has his own story.

The reason I brought this up was because there was recently a guy in my guild who was doing horrendous dps. Everyone talked to him about it, he knew about it, he read guides, couldn't get anything. I sat down for 2 hours (this was at 3 am to 5 am) infront of training dummies with him running dps tests, seeing what works and what doesn't, etc. He was a frost mage, and he would do things like cast frostfirebolt, use icelance agaisnt targets that weren't treated as frozen, etc. He also had a bad habit of hitting 2 keys at once and such. A funny moment was when he told me a guide said to use deepfreeze against bosses and I realized he was reading a cataclysm guide when deepfreeze used to deal damage when it didn't stun XD It was... pretty nightmarish. But in the end I raised his dps a lot and told him to keep practicing. Now, he still needs work on such things like getting out of fire and not taking damage, but it's still great.

The thing is that's really what you have to do. Sometimes you just have to sit down with people for X amount of hours and really teach them.
The whole WoW community could benefit from things like this. I myself was so taken aback by the attitude I was given in my first attempt to LFR tank Mogu'shan Palace yesterday, after clearly stating at the outset that it was my first time, that I asked several times for help, and that the raid never wiped on the first two bosses, I actually left the raid early.

Ironically, the majority of (if not all) the servers in my Battle Group are exactly as described here. Friendly, helpful, patient, and supportive...but one, oh this one, that shall remain nameless, although any members of the Nightfall Battle Group will likely know EXACTLY which server to which I refer...full of elitist asshats and tools.

If only the folks on that server would read this article and come to understand that life is too short for such behavior, especially in a video game.

Sorry for the rant, but this seemed like a nice place both to plea for comradery and to work out my personal bitterness at the way I was treated last night.
Wow.
First wall of text i've ever actually read.
Very nice, touching story.
I personally don't care about Korea. American gaming mentality is just different from Korean.

uhhmmm I see alot of that on US servers....the gaming mentality is not all that much different, in the past 3 days I've seen about 5 threads about how burden players are to be grouped up with people that dps below 30k dps.
Great stuff. I had such helpful friends back when I started playing, and this game brought one very close to me by the end of our time playing together! Ahh, teen romance!

But anyways, we were all so awful at one point. Some of us were lucky to start when EVERYONE was awful, so we were more forgiving. I find myself quicker to roll my eyes these days and be cynical, but this post is a wake up call for everyone. I wouldn't call myself a mean player, but I do "shy away" from people I perceive to be new.

It's ridiculous on my part. I just came back to the game and have been a hardcore player in forever. What's my problem?

My boyfriend recently started playing and has been having so many noob moments that make me laugh, but other times I do find myself having to not roll my eyes or get annoyed. I should stop. He wants to play this game to share something with me, and he is finally starting to see why it can be such a fun experience.

Thanks for this post again. I once went out of my way for others in this game. It's time to play that way again now more than ever. When I made my druid she was envisioned as a kind soul. Time to let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!
longest forum post I have ever read. great post though. it made me cry :(
This story hits home. Thank you OP for posting it. I must say I got choked up reading it and some of the replies from the community. It reminds me of when I started back in Vanilla (late 2005 / early 2006). I remember this one incident vividly because I have tried to live by it ever since.

I was a noob dwarf hunter (approx. lvl 40, and still learning how to play) running around in Ironforge when a fellow hunter (lvl 60) opened a trade window with me out of the blue and placed Beaststalker’s Bindings in it. I asked him how much since they were selling for some ridiculous amount in the AH and I only had about 15g to my name. He said “don’t worry about it. You’ll put them to good use. Just help someone else when you can”. I damn near fell out of my chair. I felt like I just hit the lottery. I took that encounter to heart and still TRY to this day to live by it. But like most, I have lost sight of the big picture (enjoyment of the game and the escape from reality) from time to time and shunned new players in hopes of clearing a heroic/raid and obtaining that piece of upgrade.

Whatever happened to the days of taking 3-4 hours to clear BRD? Taking the time to mark targets, CC mobs, explain fights? Relaxed runs? The shear enjoyment of being with guildes and friends? It wasn’t all about progression back then… at least not for the group I ran with. It all seems lost now a day. If a dungeon run takes longer than 15-20 minutes people start getting impatient. GO GO GO !!!

I think it would do everyone some good to step back and remember what it was about the game, an encounter or whatever, that made you fall in love with it to begin with and try to incorporate that into today.

For this noob it was receiving unsolicited help from a more experienced player. It’s kind of amazing to think what one act of simple kindness can do… not only in game but in life too.

Thank you again OP, community and ‘Outcast Warrior’. This has reminded me why I fell in love with the game! And enjoy it still today

Whatever happened to the days of taking 3-4 hours to clear BRD? Taking the time to mark targets, CC mobs, explain fights? Relaxed runs? The shear enjoyment of being with guildes and friends? It wasn’t all about progression back then… at least not for the group I ran with. It all seems lost now a day. If a dungeon run takes longer than 15-20 minutes people start getting impatient. GO GO GO !!!

Well, people don't take 3-4 hours to clear things anymore because they don't have to. Same goes with CC'ing targets and such. We're just not forced to in the game mechanics. You couldn't make the dungeons last 3-4 hours now if you tried.

The game has always been progression oriented past Vanilla and instanced play has always had an element of "GO GO GO!" It seems more rampant now because A. We assume everyone has been playing as long as we have and therefore "knows the game" and B. the design of the game itself has gone in a direction of short instances.

A combination of these two things makes for an environment that is noticeably hurried even for experienced players. This doesn't mean that people weren't rushing back in the day, or wishing that they could rush.
Ironically, the majority of (if not all) the servers in my Battle Group are exactly as described here. Friendly, helpful, patient, and supportive...but one, oh this one, that shall remain nameless, although any members of the Nightfall Battle Group will likely know EXACTLY which server to which I refer...full of elitist asshats and tools.

If only the folks on that server would read this article and come to understand that life is too short for such behavior, especially in a video game.

IS IT KT?! Cause I'm in Nightfall, and reading this instantly made me think it's Kel'Thuzad.
Ouch...

Just..just ouch..

Hot friggin' damn..i felt that.

It is a nice story, and one with a VERY strong message. Jeeze, I'm tearing up now, oh man..not even joking either O_O
One thing that hasnt been mentioned, in Korea, it isnt unheard of for people to suicide over things like this. In Japan too. Game or not, there has to be a point where you remember that there's a person on the other end of that keyboard.

This warrior spoke out instead of doing what many young people do and have done in this kind of extreme gaming environment.

Suicide.

The latest data showed 10.4 percent of South Korean teens were addicted to surfing on the Internet with over 40 percent exposed to adult content material through TV, computers and mobile phones.

Among people in their teens, 97.8 percent used the Internet at least once a day, with nine out of 10 high school students frequenting social network services such as blogs.

and this: should send a shiver down many spines: in 2010

According to the report by Statistics Korea, 13 out of every 100,000 people aged between 15 and 24 committed suicide in the cited year, the highest ratio among all causes of death reported for the age group

In 2011?

28.7 individuals committing suicide for every 100,000 people last year, says the Korean Association for Suicide Prevention (TKASP).

How many "outcasts" will we never hear about? :/
Just as elitists are intolerant of people who lack either knowledge or skills to compete at their level, I am intolerant of people who lack patience and understanding. It's a sad fact, but true, that I would rather solo play in the midst of a community, than expose myself to the repeated bashings and thrashings of players who fail to recognize that there are many levels of game play.

There are players who lack the mental and physical skill to play effectively, they are children in the game, though they may be mature adults.

There are players who need to learn more, gain experience and knowledge to improve, but will never be as competitive as the elite. They are usually called n00bs, even though they may have been playing for a long time.

There are players who don't understand how to optimize their DPS, Tanking or Healing. They lack critical knowledge, and with good instruction, may be able to compete with the best of the best.

And then there are the players who have done it all, are on the top of the game, and know it.

Under all of these is one critical factor which turns any player into a good player. Humility. Something that many Western players will never truly understand. I know, because as a Western player, I am exposed to thousands of players who lack it. It's hard to be humble, because it means you have to care more about the people you are playing with than you do about your own success or failure.

This "Outcast" could teach us much, as human beings.
I remember pulling less dps than a healer in a dungeon on my lvl 85 BM hunter (my first toon on wow). Got made fun off, kicked. Felt really bad :(

Did some research after that and came back really hard ;D

Yeah and in the very beginning got stuck at Night Elf Starting area because I could'nt find my way out too lol
Wow. That was just...wow.

:(
There's no profit to be had in having a good time.