Arms changes 5.2

Warrior
does anyone know if new arms rework is a buff or debuff to dps? Also is arms a usable spec for PvE in 5.2? been bouncing around fury and arms and fury has alot more burst but with slam buff dont know. Anyone how as tested changes or just knows more than me please fill me in
I think nerf or buff is the words, and arms warriors the prefered pvp spec has been nerfed. Its not as good as 5.1, but I think there fine. Problem with fury in arena and such is enrage can be dispeled.

As for pve. Fury will be better, arms is going to be bottom of the pack again.
As it stands right now, it is a significant nerf to our PvP damage output.

It may sound confusing, given that slam does 220% damage for 20 rage. Just keep in mind, the way taste for blood works on live right now, is increasing your heroic strike damage while overpower is free. That heroic strike, when glyphed, also applies a snare.

Effectively, that frees up one global you would have had to spend on hamstring, and your snare is off the GCD while hitting for the same damage as the new slam roughly.

Warriors are fairly GCD capped for PvP already. Keeping hamstring up while rotating CS, MS, OP, hamstring and slam will make our rotation feel extremely clunky and not very rewarding. Heroic strike will also become rather useless.

Warriors are always very strong when heroic strike is strong, because it allows us to do our PvE damage potential without using slam. Whenever blizzard tries to force us into using slam (happened last expac as well) warriors suffer and our damage starts to feel like dog !@#$ in PvP.

I personally don't understand the logic of slam to blizzard. MS generates rage while applying the mortal wounds debuff, CS allows us to pen 50% of player armor, OP cannot be dodged or parried and has a 25% chance to reset CS. Slam just does 220% dmg. Why in the world would you ever prioritize slam in PvP over the other three, while you need to keep hamstring up? That was the niche heroic strike brought in 5.1; it was 110% wep dmg + 100% on TfB procs that applied a snare off the GCD, reset OP and did significant burst paired with deadly calm.
TL;DR

Regarding Pve -
Arms is better than fury untill you get the gear/crit to support fury.
Most teribads/fotms think fury is better because fury deals a larger portion of it's damage from white melee hits = their inability to maintain a proper rotation/adapt to situations doesen't affect the rotation as much as it would as, say arms, and they feel their dps has increased.

Arms > Fury untill 20% crit self buffed due to enrage/RB mechanics

Fury > Arms when your gear can carry it because it scales so well.

If you read the mmo notes, you'll see their still doing some major tune ups on arms dps, so nothings final.

As for pve. PROT will be better, arms is going to be bottom of the pack again.

FTFY
Fury has higher damage in PVE an will have higher in 5.2 an the arms changes at moment do not bring enough damage to off set this just makes things much worse.

Hailstryder is correct an to reforge / gem to get to that crit rating is rather easy an fury will have a much easier time with rage.
ROGGER, YOUR NAME IS BADASS!
There are changes going on in the PTR right now. Some things that have changed for Arms are...

• Overpower Gaining a Rage cost of 10.
  • Slam having it's damage increased by 30% as well as reducing the rage to 20.
  • Sudden Death is now procced by Overpower (25% chance).
  • Deep Wounds dealing 100% more damage as Arms.
  • Taste for Blood gives Overpower a 1 Second GCD.
  • All Haste bonuses from passive stats as well as consumables is increased by 50%.
  • Keep in mind that The Phantasmal Crustacean (Ghostcrawler) has mentioned that the damage passes on actual numbers has not passed, and more are expected. They still plan on trying to make Mastery as well as Haste better for us.

However time appears to be ticking as the launcher for wow has begun downloading things for the next patch.
    There are changes going on in the PTR right now. Some things that have changed for Arms are...

• Overpower Gaining a Rage cost of 10.
  • Slam having it's damage increased by 30% as well as reducing the rage to 20.
  • Sudden Death is now procced by Overpower (25% chance).
  • Deep Wounds dealing 100% more damage as Arms.
  • Taste for Blood gives Overpower a 1 Second GCD.
  • All Haste bonuses from passive stats as well as consumables is increased by 50%.
  • Keep in mind that The Phantasmal Crustacean (Ghostcrawler) has mentioned that the damage passes on actual numbers has not passed, and more are expected. They still plan on trying to make Mastery as well as Haste better for us.

However time appears to be ticking as the launcher for wow has begun downloading things for the next patch.

Forgot to mention Execute causing Overpower to become free.
    For PVE Increase/Decrease isn't worth figuring out until the tuning phase is done. Right now the damage does seem to be buffed, but secondary scaling is just as bad as on live. The buff to rend will improve strength scaling some though, which is good at least.

The change to Overpower's GCD was also much more effective than I expected. I posted this on the Arms Warrior thread on PTR, but it seems mostly overwhelmed by PVP QQ and got ignored.

So I've trying a few different rotations on the PTR.

The OP reduced GCD is definitely a DPS gain. Using the rotation where we delay to the next MS by 1 second (ie using the same rotation as without an OP), I average around 63k dps.

Using the rotation I outlined in the main PTR thread (delay OP first MS cycle, second two MS cycles use 3x Overpower), I averaged 76.1k dps over 20 minutes or so.

Using a rotation where I simply used 2 OPs each MS, then used 2 Slam/CS/Shout/DR every cycle, basically delaying MS every cycle by .5s, I averaged 76.3k DPS over the same time.

So it is a nearly 20% damage boost to overall DPS, which is nice. It is actually much better than I was expecting. Both of the new rotations I did I only tested for 20 minutes thinking there would be a clear winner, but apparently they're within 1% of each other easily, the 3rd rotation being better is easily within the margin of error. Meaning likely doing it either way will be fine, chances are a more definite winner won't be made clear until we have working sims for all of the changes, though longer periods of testing/raid testing might show one or the other as better.

The first rotation was the only one that used HS, like at all. The other two both ignored it pretty much entirely, and only had Slam/OP consuming rage.

Second rotation felt more fluid/right to me. It felt like I always had just enough rage to keep it going, and was gcd capped completely. I hit shout occasionally, but not on cooldown. CS clipping was a concern raised in the other thread, but it happened less often than I would have expected, only a couple of times over 20 minutes. My number of CS uses was actually above average expected at the end of the test.

Third rotation felt a bit more rage starved. Combination of trying to fill more gcds and using MS less often wound up giving a bit more wait time. I was using Shout on cooldown, and occasionally still waiting. Feel like this may be the way to go with more haste/rage as it has more room to grow, even if it turns out it's not the best right now..

Basically at ilvl 502 (PTR with t15 522 gear, PVP 493 gear, and a few assorted 489-496 VP pieces that I had that are better itemized than the PVP gear), I'm consistently maintaining about 75-76k with self buffs only. The incoming rend buff should be another 3-5k dps easily, maybe more in a raid environment. It feels like a gain, but that may just be the extra 10 item levels. I'll try to hit up the PTR LFR for a while tomorrow (depending on how bad queues are) to get a better idea of what it looks like in a raid environment.
    How are peolpe finding the arms rotation an GCD usage ?

How is rage with current rotation with having OP changes?