Does rarity of finding a pet effect performa?

Pet Battles
Taking into account the rock, paper, scissors theme of pet battles and saying two pets are of equal rarity and level, will one pet possibly prove to be better then another? I guess what I am asking is will the actual rarity of finding a pet actually effect its end advantage, ie a common rabbit compared to a rare world drop pet, would or could that rabbit be as good as the rare drop? Appreciate any replies.
02/10/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Thiudreiks
Taking into account the rock, paper, scissors theme of pet battles and saying two pets are of equal rarity and level, will one pet possibly prove to be better then another? I guess what I am asking is will the actual rarity of finding a pet actually effect its end advantage, ie a common rabbit compared to a rare world drop pet, would or could that rabbit be as good as the rare drop? Appreciate any replies.

Breed and actual pet quality are all that matter. A rare quality s/s rabbit is pretty much always a rare quality s/s rabbit.
performance is determined by "rarity" as in the color of its name which determins the stat multiplier (throwing out random numbers(1.3, 1.7, 2.0)

the breed which determines base stat allocation (throwing out random example)( say a rat comes in 3 breeds, by level 25 that could be 40+ or 80+ in a stat, as compared to a stat which it has a minimal stat allocation) which are then multiplied by rarity

the pets level which is the above combined x whatever the pets level is

and the move list in combination with the stats/breed a pet has

The fact that a pet is harder to get does not necessarily make it better or worse than a run of the mill rat/rabbit/bird/moth what have you

in fact a lot of "rare" pets that are not caught in the wild ( most pets that have multiple breeds are wild caught types) have only one breed and it is often a bad breed for the move list or that one breed that has the minimal stat allocation of all the breeds(forgot which one)

hyacinth macaw to give an example

rarity of a pet (color name) is the most important factor in pet battle viability imho
then level
then move list
then breed

in that order imho
02/10/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Thiudreiks

One of the hardest to find wild pets is Minfernal, but few people use it even if they do manage to find a rare of it in a good breed because it's not much good. As mentioned above, Hyacinth Macaw is a very rare world drop, but is comparatively useless at battling.

Some of the most useful pets, particularly when battling the most difficult tamers, are spiders, snails, crabs, rabbits, moths, bats and striders/skimmers. Collect rares of these in good breeds, add a crow or raven and a mechanical, (I favour Darkmoon Zeppelin,) and you have a great foundation for your army. It's fun to have an army rather than just a team, so you can swap pets around to suit the situation or mood. Other pets I love and find useful are Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling and Jade Oozeling - both rare breed 4s, Restless Shadeling and Kun-Lai Runt.

This site:
http://petsear.ch/Pets
will be a great help to you with information about pets, and if you look up a pet in Wowhead you can find how/where to get it and the comments there are often useful.
You can also use it to look at other players' collections:
http://petsear.ch/Pets/US/Aman'Thul/Kailassa
Thank you all for your responses VERY useful; even if it is just a "imho", of course being a part of the alliance I am skeptical of advice from anyone who belongs to a guild named "Forever Horde." Jk of course, thanks again for all of your input, time to hit the fields...gotta catch'em all!