Ahhh yes,.. Vanilla pets.

Hunter
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Started at the beginning of Cata, and reading everything about hunters from Vanilla...all I can say is I'm glad I started in Cata.

Pet Happiness
Pet Leveling
Pet Feeding
Arrows in bags
Mana...

No thanks :)
Humar, the rare Black Lion that spawned in the Barrens. And my Parrot lookalike from the islands of the southern coast of Tanaris. :)
I remember when extreme hunter soloing meant getting as much caster gear (leather/cloth) as you could, and using serpent sting and mend pet only. :D And those dreamless sleep potions to regen your mana.

I had 3 favorite pets in Vanilla, my good old wolf from Mulgore, my Gorilla from STV, and finally my color changing Wind Serpent from ZG. Was so pissed when they stopped the color changing aspect of them.
Yea I know exactly what you mean OP.
My first ever character was a troll hunter and I tamed a tiger from the starting zone.
Tiger is my favorite cat.
That character is long gone, but couple of years ago I made another troll hunter, of course had to get the same tiger. Now I started playing again, transfered him to alliance and hes a dwarf now, but my cat is still with me.
We've been through so much together I really don't feel like getting any other pets at all. Even my stable is empty.

Its funny how all the hunters are crying that its hard to get a spirit beast and they want one. Its supposed to be "unique", but is it really? Every other hunter I see has a spirit beast. Its like emos kids trying to be unique but ending up all looking the same.
Now when I see a hunter with a vanilla pet it really catches my attention.

Yeah I know exactly what ya mean! And when I got my Rakshiri it was no where near as common as it was nearing end vanilla and midBC. Now he's much less common compared to the spirit beasts, shale spiders, spiders, and so on.

02/12/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Barith
Humar, the rare Black Lion that spawned in the Barrens. And my Parrot lookalike from the islands of the southern coast of Tanaris. :)

Yeah back when I got Rak'shiri Humar was considered the strongest of rares, but I think Rak was a lil bit stronger. I just remember first testing him at 60, stealthing(NE) and sending him in stealthed with stun and BW up alone against a orc hunter in WSG and he killed him alone lol.
Well for me i still and will always miss Eyes of the Beast.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Eyes_of_the_Beast
I don't miss leveling pets, feeding pets, training pets etc.

I do miss low level healers using mana though.
I do miss survivability in low level BG's (leg enhancements, mining bug, head enchants, fishing boots etc).
I do miss not using Mana or Focus while mana classes don't use any of their casting stat
I do miss being able to wingclip a Druid from one end of WSG to the other
I do miss being able to take on 2 medium geared rogues rather than getting 2-3 shot by a rogue even though I have 90-100x the bracket I am playing
I miss mages being good characters for a flag carrier in WSG
I Miss Warrior being good flag carriers in WSG (but don't miss the Enti's (sp?) sword bug).
I miss warlocks becoming a viable class in low level BG's.
I miss bring a class any class
I miss throw a little gold at and anyone can build a good toon to have some fun
etc. etc. etc.
I remember running around taming pets then getting them to the point where they learned a skill level I needed that would let me teach it to my other pet.

Then I would get rid of him and get the next pet that I needed to get access to a certain level skill for my pet.

Not sure I really miss that at all.
02/12/2013 12:30 AMPosted by Raygar
PUT YOUR DAMN PET AWAY THE TANK DIED CAUSE YOUR PET CAUSED A PARRY said every MC raid leader.

Or how about this memory :

"Ok guys time to fight Golemagg. We are skipping trash. Everyone drop down and healers immediately heal as the tank pulls. Hunter? **hunter replying : Yes?"
Raid Leader : Where is your pet?
Hunter : Dont worry he'll be here in a minute...

Next thing you know here comes every mob from the trash near the bridge where the raid jumped down into the room with the several groups of adds the pet aggroed as it came back to its owner."

**Raid Wipe**

Thanks for the laugh here. On all three hunters, I made a point in getting Bjarn and a Ghost Saber at level. I still have both pets and though I still use Bjarn, my trusty ghost saber is currently stabled in retirement.

In some ways, I miss the old ways of being a hunter...then I remember that at times it was a pain in the !@# and appreciate the changes Blizz has gone to.
02/12/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Bobcat
In some ways, I miss the old ways of being a hunter...then I remember that at times it was a pain in the !@# and appreciate the changes Blizz has gone to.

Exactly how I feel, I miss them but must remember they were freaking pains,...
I still use Asuka my solo tamed ZG bat, which had a 1.0 sec attack speed and screech, amazing aggro holder and debuff.

I leveled with an Ashenvale Ghost Paw Alpha, got him at 26 I think...his name is KaBoomBoom. He had a 1.3 sec AS

Vanilla > any other wow expansion...no rose colored glasses, things just meant more.

I also miss keeping an huge inventory of arrows or bullets for raiding, making them and selling them.

The more blizz caters, the more watered down this game is. I never once got upset about ammo or pet food.
Started at the beginning of Cata, and reading everything about hunters from Vanilla...all I can say is I'm glad I started in Cata.

Pet Happiness
Pet Leveling
Pet Feeding
Arrows in bags
Mana...

Except pets also had unique traits. The Alterac Valley wolves had a faster run speed than epic mounts. They could catch a player riding by, with normal run speed.

Pets had different attack speeds, you could tailor the pet you use for the type of damage you wanted...push back was HELL on casters.

Pet Happiness
Pet Leveling
Pet Feeding
Arrows in bags
Mana...

Except pets also had unique traits. The Alterac Valley wolves had a faster run speed than epic mounts. They could catch a player riding by, with normal run speed.

Pets had different attack speeds, you could tailor the pet you use for the type of damage you wanted...push back was HELL on casters.

I miss the super fast alterac valley wolves. They were hilariously fun to have.

Overall though, the pet system is so much better now it's not even funny.

I do miss having mana. It made being able to burst down opponents easier. Now it's all a much more steady application of DPS compared to the old days. This energy system isn't bad, it's just not great either.
So one day I am out in Winterspring farming up Throium ore as usual. Then I happen upon some hordlings doing the then horde side only quest to summon up Shy-Rotam. So I watch whats going on. You see Shy did this aoe fear a lot and sent them hordlings running into several other packs of winterspring kitties, and they then proceed to get their asses handed to them by all the kitties. So they wipe and Shy resets. I quickly abandon the pet I had with me, ice trap and tame Shy, then proceed to RP walk around with him till the hordelings all respawned
Still have Humar and Shy in my stables, and use them both regularly. I've got a stable full of ghost beasts and cata / wrath rares I rarely use since you see them out and about so much. Minus Terropene, most just collect dust. He is just badarse.

What I miss... Volley! Cool AOE spell, and I loved the graphics. Arrows Everywhere!
i stop right after the release of WoW himself (do beta then 2-3 month)

what my supprise when i log and see my felo raptor (who i tought was still about 38-39) been all grow up to 80 whit me, all skill learn... where the food i need to gave him... where is happiness..

i was a lot confuse at first XD
I still use Asuka my solo tamed ZG bat, which had a 1.0 sec attack speed and screech, amazing aggro holder and debuff.

I leveled with an Ashenvale Ghost Paw Alpha, got him at 26 I think...his name is KaBoomBoom. He had a 1.3 sec AS

Vanilla > any other wow expansion...no rose colored glasses, things just meant more.

I also miss keeping an huge inventory of arrows or bullets for raiding, making them and selling them.

The more blizz caters, the more watered down this game is. I never once got upset about ammo or pet food.

when i log back from my **vacantion (+-5 year) the first think i ask to all my guildmate...

OMFG where is the arrow guy, mine are lvl 26 need to change them ASAP...

i think i haven't got a answer before 10 min... only laughing people XD

then.....it fall on me.... like 10 ton of rock...

DUDE hunter aren't need to carry ether food for pet, or bullet... or.... and the list was long...

that the night i realise how WoW have change XD
02/12/2013 12:34 AMPosted by Mabutu
@ Melix. the lbrs one was one of the worgs, i didnt like those. wernt mean looking enough >:)

Snarler wasn't black enough for me...lol

Has anyone mentioned Rake? Everyone had Rake. 1 sec attack speed FTW!

As for Eyes of the Beast... In MC I remember pulling Shazz and Baron into Garr's room while loot was being handed out... lol. Epic Wipe!!
Back in Vanilla I used to go to Durotar (as a nightelf) and tame a lvl 2 boar in the Orc/troll start zone...I'd flag myself then use eyes of the beast and make the boar walk around like a mob...The lvl 1's try to kill it, they get flagged, and I kill them...Hours of endless fun.

Also back at lvl 23 on my hunter in vanilla I tamed Humar (now Argo.)..I waited like 7 hours for him to spawn, and I still have him, and I use him often.