music suggestions

Movies, TV and Entertainment
hay wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me, i like real dubstep such as skrillex.
...real dubstep such as skrillex.

Lol

I suggest branching out into different music genres. I never stay in the same one for more than a month.
02/12/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Muchogirtho
hay wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me, i like real dubstep such as skrillex.

LOL. You're not serious, right? Am I being trolled?

If you like electro house, which is about 85% of what Skrillex produces, then check out bands like Noisia, or Google "electro house".

If you like the other 15% of what Skrillex produces.... the stuff American pop culture calls "Dubstep", then what you actually like is brostep. For brostep you might check out Dr. P, Excision... or again, Google it. I found a group the other day called Pandub & Entraik that makes pretty good brostep.

Now, if you are actually interested in hearing some dubstep music, then check out artists like Skream, DJs like Dela Moontribe, or websites like 175bpm.cz. Listen to mixes from Deep Medi, or check out the Liquid Dubstep channel on DI.fm. Check out promoters on Youtube like Ridmics or Ledge Sounds.

But, please, get a clue on what dubstep actually is. The following post I made a while back was in regards to Gangnam Style (which someone at the time was trying to call "dubstep"), but can just as easily be applied to Skrillex' work.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7416063798?page=3#44
Iced Earth - V
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7BFOzG5X0Q
02/16/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Rufyn

Lol.

You're interested in House and Brostep. Go pick up some Krewella and Knife Party.

Dear god, I'm going to fall right over. Someone actually knows their EDM. Well said, sir.
02/12/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Knoxer
...real dubstep such as skrillex.

Lol

I suggest branching out into different music genres. I never stay in the same one for more than a month.
I'll give him some recomendations like say
Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame
Mercyful Fate - The Witches Dance
The Scorpions - Rocking You Like a Hurricane
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
I swear Skrillex is the worst thing to have happened to music. All these kids coming that don't know anything about music or it's history and start talking about "real dubstep". Makes me sick to my stomach. Not a fan of that genre anyways.
02/25/2013 02:42 AMPosted by Positron
I swear Skrillex is the worst thing to have happened to music. All these kids coming that don't know anything about music or it's history and start talking about "real dubstep". Makes me sick to my stomach. Not a fan of that genre anyways.

To be fair, Skrillex makes some interesting electro tracks. I could do without his brostep. And that's not 'cause I dislike post-dubstep. It's just that there are many other producers out there that are producing brostep of a much better caliber than Skrillex.

I would say that most of the disagreements relating to Skrillex and his music aren't even his fault -- though of course, he hasn't really done anything to help the situation. It's mainstream pop culture, particularly American pop culture, that is at the heart of the matter.

Our pop culture mainstream would have you believe that Skrillex is a dubstep artist, when in fact he is not, and he has admitted as much. Skrillex produces mainly electro house, with a few select brostep, or post-dubstep, songs.

Skrillex certainly wasn't a pioneer in the electro house genre, and he wasn't even one in the brostep genre -- this having been well established at least a year before he came on the scene. Which, for EDM, is a virtual eternity. Yet, we give him two Grammys and continue to sell his music as "dubstep". Grammys and EDM don't mix, they just don't (do we not consider talent the world over for these awards?) but that is another post for another time.

Hipsters then latch on to brostep, not even knowing what it is, and proclaim to the world that "DUBSTEP IS SICKKKKKKKKKK!". o.O Now, it doesn't matter if they love the music (yay, let's listen to this awesome "dubstep"), or hate the music ("dubstep" sucks!) -- either way, the music being popularized is either electro or brostep. It doesn't make any sense to those that pay attention.

These points are a slap in the face to the entire genre of dubstep, which now gets to live with the ridiculous label of "The official sound of two lawnmowers f%@#ing". Which, if you've ever listened to dubstep, you know makes no sense. Dubstep doesn't sound like that.

This isn't a case of "dubstep is underground and I want it to stay underground and I can't STAND that it's going mainstream!!!" This is a case of "this music already exists, has an established group of producers, a fan base, support from DJs and clubs, and if we are going to popularize it, let's at least use the correct name for it." Hey, I'm more than happy for dubstep to go mainstream. The first time I turn on KROQ and hear some Loefah, I'll fall flat on my !@#.
02/12/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Muchogirtho

Not sure if serious or...
Hipsters don't listen to brostep. It's a bunch of mtv kids that know jack that are latching on to it.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Skrillex

The discogs community are the hipsters. No one knows music better then these people.
Hipsters don't listen to brostep. It's a bunch of mtv kids that know jack that are latching on to it.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Skrillex

The discogs community are the hipsters. No one knows music better then these people.

Yeah, I guess. I tend to use the word "hipster" for anyone that "jumps on the bandwagon" without knowing why they are jumping on. People have corrected me before on this usage and I suppose I go on using it wrong.

Perhaps the words "drone" or "lemming" fit better. "He likes this music, so I do too!"
02/28/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Rufyn
But if one more kid says "wow that's some sick dubstep you've got there" while I'm listening to DnB I'm gonna punch someone in the face.

I have had this happen. I've also been in situations where people have referred to these specific songs as dubstep (some happened IRL, others here or in WoW):

Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 - saw this in a mainstream magazine.
Gangnam Style by PSY - here on the forums.
Bangarang by Skrillex - saw this in a mainstream magazine.
Deadmau5 (various songs) - seen labeled as "dubstep" on forums, on TV and in magazines.

I still have an idea to form here, but it's taking some time...

... I think that this is the problem at the heart of the matter: Pop culture in this country has ignored EDM for decades, letting house, tech, electro, breakbeat, jungle, dnb, dubstep, chill, and just about every other genre just pass us by - even though house music and many roots of EDM came from America. You'd hear an Amen break in a commerical, or a movie trailer, but that's about it.

When we finally decide to latch on to EDM, popularize it, give it awards and put it on the cover of magazines, we did so by making Skrillex the figurehead and choosing a word, "dubstep", that sounds really cool but doesn't much fit the music he makes.
02/25/2013 02:42 AMPosted by Positron
Nah, there is worse than Skrillix. *cough* One Direction *cough* I wish kids sticked like 2004 and with European Metal like Nightwish