Why am I pulling more as Destro?

Warlock
Hey all!

As the title suggests, I'm having a bit of an issue. Everything I have read suggests that Affliction > Demonology > Destro. If that is wrong, someone stop me now! Despite that, though, I am easily pulling a bit more as destruction. When I am demo, I feel like I am working "harder" and still pulling lower DPS. It is kind of frustrating. I am very new to warlocks, so I am hoping I am making a mistake I can fix!

Is Destro better as lower gear levels? My gear is quite bad, so I guess that'd make sense. If anyone has any idea why I am seeing these results, or what I can do to improve, It'd be greatly appreciated!
Yeah! I knew affliction was the best option, but I really do not like the playstyle. That said, I understand Demo would be the next best choice? I just don't get why my DPS isn't as high as destro!
How do you really expect anyone to know without providing the details of what exactly it is you are doing rotationally?
Demo and Destro are pretty close to one another with affliction topping them. That being said, I prefer destro in 5 mans (which looks like you're running atm) just because you can pool burning embers between trash pulls for when you get to a boss. It has very little ramp up time and with the speed things die I find it stronger in most situations.
At low ilvl aff hasn't seen its scaling advantage yet. Also if your team is doing mostly non challenge mode 5 mans destro can do quite well due to havoc and shadowburn.

By the time you are in normal and LFR raid gear aff should start pulling consistently higher numbers. You see more aff in challenge modes due to mobs NOT dying super fast therefore you get time to realize aff's strength.

Also destro has a bit less of a skill cap so if you are new to locks its more forgiving. Or at least requires less attention to realize its full potential. Alot of what separates aff pareses is the min/maxing on dot refreshes.

Demo scales more similarly to destro and is more of an aoe'er or at least cleave spec. Neither keeps up with aff above 500ilvl but each has some situations they are good at.
Get more haste. Haste that low is not going to cut it for Affliction.
Thanks very much for the replies! I worded it poorly, but I have no interest in playing Aff; My concern was more between Demo and Destro.

Thanks for the explanations!
The answer to your question is that you aren't raiding yet. Destruction and Demonology will generally outperform Affliction in heroic dungeons, which is where it looks like you're playing. The armory says that you've done the first 3 Mogu'shan Vaults bosses once.

When people say that Affliction outperforms Destruction, they're talking about in raids.
Because you're better at Destro than you are at Demo/Aff. Is it really not obvious?
use hand of gul'dan then shift into metamorphosis so it gets the % dmg buff, never use chaos wave unless the mob is gonna die before hand of gul'dan ticks

don't use soul fire in demon form

pool demonic fury before you dark soul

destro's op in 5 mans because shadowburn hits really hard and you get your embers back
When it comes to playing a class, there are two ways to describe a spec:

1. The theoretical dps of the spec when played perfectly.
2. The spec a person plays best amongst the specs.

If a player can't play the theoretical spec well, then the spec they play well may well do more dps for them. That is why people often say you should just play the spec you play best.
02/16/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Dathomir
I focus on HIT>Mastery and Iam still on top for dps, I never try to stack haste at all

2 things

1 - You have 4137 haste rating. OP has 1457. As in about 25% less haste rating than Demonology Warlocks had in T13.
2 - Being top DPS in your raid group doesn't necessarily mean you're doing things right. If I did top DPS in my raid while stacking crit as Affliction, would that make me good? No, that would make the rest of the DPS in my raid bad.
When it comes to playing a class, there are two ways to describe a spec:

1. The theoretical dps of the spec when played perfectly.
2. The spec a person plays best amongst the specs.

If a player can't play the theoretical spec well, then the spec they play well may well do more dps for them. That is why people often say you should just play the spec you play best.

I figured this was likely a factor. Destro seems much more user-friendly than the other two specs. I did read up quite a bit on Demo, though, and have practiced the rotation for awhile.

I've been using Hand of Gul'dan whenever it is up, keeping Doom and Corruption up 100% of the time, only using Soulfire on procs in caster form, and using Sbolt as a filler. Once I get near-full fury, I pop DS, Meta, and spam touch of chaos. Once back in caster, I continue to use the previously mentioned priority system. Once I get near fury cap, I burn 100-200 fury with Touch of Chaos' to refresh Corruption. I continue this until I get DS up, I need to burn something, or (when I get better ones) a trinket procs. At that point, I'd go meta and spam Touch of Chaos again.

During this, I am keeping CoE, Corruption, and Doom up 100%. If there is something glaringly wrong with this, please let me know! I don't expect good DPS with my gear, I am more trying to see if I am making a mistake with Demo that would make Destro perform better.
Imo, it's mainly due to destro being one of the easiest specs in the game. With Demo & Afflic being well above average in difficulty.

Not saying you're doing much wrong with demo spec, your description sounds as good as any I've read on here. However, there is simply alot more going on with Demo and that makes it harder to master, if you will.

I like to think I'm pretty amazing at demo spec, as I've never seen anyone out demo me in game before. However, my destro and my demo spec are nearly the same dps output. Though Demo is far more engaging, fun, and interesting to play. So don't expect to blow destro out of the water while in demo.