Soul Reaper Management

Death Knight
Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding managing this ability sub 35%.

The way I currently do it is this:

If soul reaper is on cooldown and I have 1 frost or death rune up but no frost or death runes will not be up when soul reaper comes off of cooldown I will not use that 1 rune. This ensures I always have a rune available to use this ability. The problem this creates is this...

TONS OF FREE GCDS

Hell, there have been times I have done nothing for the entire cooldown duration of soul reaper because I wouldn't have a rune available to use it when it came up if I used another ability.

As 2h I have found myself at 2 unholy runes and can't use one on a obliterate because it would delay me using soul reaper.

Can I get some guidance/ input on this?
Have you tried Blood Tap ? I'm not really into PvE but Runes on demand are a sweet advantage, be it for PvP or PvE and it's way less RNG dependant. You have way more control on how you want to spend/regen your Runes.
I know blood tap(for 2h atleast) isn't the best talent selection. I'm just really curious what other people do
Best thing to do is generate some RP, get some Frost Strikes off, and hope RE procs. The easiest way to do this is pop HoW. If that's on cooldown, try popping AMS and standing in bad, just stepping out before it breaks. If all else fails, there's Empowered Rune Weapon, which is effectively a rune reset. Hope this helps :)

Edit: also, it's best not to sit on resources. If SR is on cooldown and you have the resources for an Obliterate, hit that Obliterate. One Obliterate is enough RP for a Frost Strike, which again, gives you a chance to get back a rune.
02/14/2013 09:48 AMPosted by Edorps
I know blood tap(for 2h atleast) isn't the best talent selection. I'm just really curious what other people do

For PvE, yeah. PvP it's the best choice for both Unholy and Frost.
02/14/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Karaahl
Edit: also, it's best not to sit on resources. If SR is on cooldown and you have the resources for an Obliterate, hit that Obliterate. One Obliterate is enough RP for a Frost Strike, which again, gives you a chance to get back a rune.

This. Continue on with your rotation instead of auto-attacking. The slight dps loss from not using Obliterate and using Soul Reaper a few seconds after it comes off cd is going to be a lot less than not doing anything for the whole 6 second window.