Dwarf words from outside of WoW! ((OOC))

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
So, in WoW, we have very few terms that we can use for a race as everyday slang for certain words. Now by this I mean, for example, dwarves are experts when it comes to precious gems and metals and all other such things. So if we take a handful of gold and dump it on a table, maybe to a human or an elf each coin would look the same as the next as far as coloration goes.

But maybe dwarves can see the finer details in it... but we don't really have a way of expressing such as Blizzard has not given us such a way as far as dwarf words go. This can translate into other races but I'm focusing on my favorite of fantasy races.

Not to mention I have a handy-dandy book on hand.

Now, more than just saying 'Here's words! We should use these!' I have to question the forums if it's a good idea to make use of these words - as they are not from WoW. And this is not saying we have to use these, or that you're bad if you play a dwarf and don't use these, but more that here are some words we can use if we want to add a bit of flavour to dwarf RP.

Now, the words themselves come from Warhammer dwarves, by far one of the best depictions of the dwarf race imo. Considering the amount of words I'll limit myself to a few - words for different types of gold, ways of calling a person stupid, etc.

Ufdi - A dwarf overfond of preening and decorating his beard; a vain dwarf; a dwarf who cannot be trusted to fight.
Wanaz - A disreputable dwarf with an unkempt beard; an insult.
Wattock - An unsuccessful dwarf prospector; a down at heel dwarf; an insult; a credulous dwarf.

Just a few insults, want to keep it limited and if people do want more I can type out the whole list.

For gold...

Bruz - Gold that has a purplish tinge only visible by twilight.
Bryn - Gold that shines strikingly in the sunlight; anything shiny or brilliant.
Frorl - Dusty gold with a farinaceous layer obscuring its brilliance.

Just a few examples of gold...

And there's other words (dongliz being one of my favorite... sound it out), but those are just a few. So basically, what are peoples' thoughts on using these worlds as a dwarf to bring a bit more... life to a dwarf's common?
No opinions?
Interesting. I'm kinda tired, so I probably didn't comprehend it all, but I like it.
02/15/2013 09:19 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
Interesting. I'm kinda tired, so I probably didn't comprehend it all, but I like it.

*Shrug* Basically... the dwarf language is dead in common. We have Celtic, Gaelic, Welsh and Nordic flavorings added to our common talk but...

Well, a lot of those words don't always sound dwarvish at the same time.
I’ve seen these “language” type threads; the “I want give my character/race a more authentic feel by real world or other game borrowing / out right inventing / manipulating what few words are already known,” to establish unique linguistic syntax, and semantics indicative to that culture group. And to that I say: kudos to you for the effort, thanks for sharing, and have fun with that. You may indeed find some folks readily absorbing your terms, and have a few to share of their own; however, I’d recommend you not get your hopes and expectations up over broad user base adaptation. For one, your message will only reach a handful of individuals. Then, whether they are willing or able to memorize or catalogue the improvised dictionary is another matter, and to add to the conundrum, individuals may have their own terms they aren’t willing to surrender, or Blizzard may invent a few more along the way, making a consensus more difficult to achieve.

I’m not saying you can’t do it in your individual RP, and I can see it being a fair bit of fun, but don’t expect other RPers playing in your culture group to understand you, be prepared to explain yourself, and be careful not to come off as OCC snobbish when doing so. Explaining it as localized dialect, or terms that have fallen out of fashion since your grandma/grandpa used them when they were passing on what they knew to you, certainly seems a viable explanation for usage. But when it comes to a Dwarf speaking common, they and Humans have been using this language for hundreds of years to communicate, and I’d expect terms to be well translated, especially when it comes to geology and fabrication.
You just stay away from Old Norse and Old English. That's my thing!
(Posting on my shaman now)

02/16/2013 07:06 AMPosted by Brandbombe
but don’t expect other RPers playing in your culture group to understand you, be prepared to explain yourself, and be careful not to come off as OCC snobbish when doing so.

I actually want this - but want to be asked ICly. Gives a chance for a character to use further words (especially when it's a dwarf asking) while explaining to them what the words they are confused about meant!

02/16/2013 07:06 AMPosted by Brandbombe
But when it comes to a Dwarf speaking common, they and Humans have been using this language for hundreds of years to communicate, and I’d expect terms to be well translated, especially when it comes to geology and fabrication.

With this - it's less 'they can't properly translate it' and more 'saying it in common is a mouthful'.
I get where your coming from, and for your own personal RP I vote go for it!

I would absolutely expect Dwarvish to incorporate a broad variety of words not only for gold but the appearance and/or states of a variety of minerals; like the Inuit have a plethora for words for snow, or more accurately, describing the crystallized structures of water. Words for the minerals and various alloys themselves, the ways they appear through rock (nuggets, flakes, thick veins, fine veins, colours), the way it makes water taste, the trouble it takes to get to it, solid form, viscous form, its malleability, its porosity, slag, flux purified, the bits that stick to a mould, the splatter of a molten drop when it hits the floor, a neat pour, a messy spill, bits that fly when soft and struck with a hammer, the filings when sharpened, the variety of chips when sculpted. And on and on. You could go crazy with it.