Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
04/01/2013 09:00 PMPosted by Lurkz
THIS IS NOT A BLIZZARD SCHEME to coerce po' folk into an expensive upgrade, nor is blizz implementing changes to phase us out.

In all honesty it's not going to stop them from making the accusation, though. Doesn't mean their accusation has any basis in reality -- just that they have an agenda and they're going to push it.

Whatever the reason -- I can totally understand the upset / hurt feelings. I mean, it is fun to play WoW. Therefore, not being able to play would not be fun. [*let me take off my Captn. Obvious hat*]

But change is a part of life. It sucks when it isn't in your favor.
Personally, when 10.6.8 gets locked out, I'd either Upgrade my mac to Mountain Lion(I can, I have the right hardware), or just get a Windows PC, depending on whether Mountain Lion lets you choose what to iCloud, whether to use FB/Twitter stuff or not, and whether I can still do old school disk backups and old school disk usage(ie. Computer Usage independent of internet status), because I believe that too many people take the internet for granted and that it should NOT be a necessity for EVERY Mac owner. I Still remember the days when you can get kicked from the internet during the Dial Up era.

My Suggestions would be to either:
A. Upgrade to Mountain Lion(if you don't have outdated expensive software and you meet the hardware requirements without buying a new Mac)
B. Switch To/Add a Windows PC made specifically for Gaming(outdated expensive software on Mac is important for Drawing, 3D Modelling, Music Making, etc. and Macs were made for that while PCs were made for Gaming)
C. Decide to Quit World of Warcraft forever, or to even stop Mac Gaming entirely and switch to WinPC Gaming, Consoles/Handhelds or Portable Device Gaming.

Tip: If you're going to Buy/Use Windows PCs with any internet connection at all(including WoW), make sure you invest in Anti-Virus Software. Also make sure you make plenty of Backups after scanning IF you're certain no Ads/Fake Errors/Malware pops up before you do.

Edit: This ploy is ENTIRELY Apple's Fault and not Blizzards. The only thing Blizzard can do wrong is fail to warn us ahead of time, which they did with 10.5 and MOP 5.0 Pre-Patch. This time around they're giving plenty of warning with 10.6, so Blizzard has done nothing wrong this time around.

As for Apple, the New OS every year will probably destroy the iMac and Macbook Markets, especially since iMacs are way more expensive than equivalent Windows PCs. Desktop Computers were meant to be replaced every 5-10 years, not every 1-2 years.
In the end, I believe that Apple has been going down hill ever since Steve Jobs died. When Steve Jobs left to make Pixar before(in the 90s), Apple suffered dearly. I have very little faith in Apple since Steve isn't coming back. My next computer will probably be a Windows PC, but I'll still keep this one for Photoshop/GIMP and other Artistic Purposes.

As for Apple, the New OS every year will probably destroy the iMac and Macbook Markets, especially since iMacs are way more expensive than equivalent Windows PCs. Desktop Computers were meant to be replaced every 5-10 years, not every 1-2 years.

Why? The 2007 iMac still runs Mountain Lion, as does my 2008 macbook. Where are you getting the 1-2 year lifespan from? My macbook has never been more fluid. And it's almost 5 years old.
The irony is the ONE market segment that almost kept the fruit alive, the professional market, is about to totally abandon Cupertino. Yes, the issues involve both hardware and software. MANY video editors are now scrambling to re-learn Avid... AND that market segment by and large seems to be mostly running Snow.

I have yet to go through the hassle, which is easier on a Mac Pro than the other machines, but certainly possible. I plan to create a boot partition for ML JUST to run WoW. I'll take a drive and partition it one half Mac, one half winblowz (I've had issues running it, but have found out due to seriously crappy "support" it will only work properly on the first drive in a Pro machine). Anyone with a iMac or laptop can do the same although it sure as hell is a big hassle because you'll have to clone your drive, wipe it and set up partitions, have one be pure ML, the other you restore your clone to.

Yes, a hassle, but if you aren't quite ready to abandon WoW, this SHOULD work.

AND I'm sure somewhere within Blizz they DO have a pretty damn good idea when they are going to nerf Snow... they have to have documents setting out goals for patches till the next xpac (aside, a buddy linked some items tooltip that said something to the effect that whatever it did, it would only do it until 5.4 gets released!). I'm sure their policy is silence, but I see little downside for them and huge upside from their paying customers.
Brightbrown -- Yes, there is a very good idea when SL will be hard locked out, patch 6.0. It's how it was handled for Cataclysm, patch 4.0. It's how it was handled for MoP, patch 5.0. It therefore stands that it's likely how it would be handled for, whatever the next xpac is called.

You'll have to just be at odds with Blizzard about "little downside and huge upside" because if there was little downside then they wouldn't hard lockout SL users.
I run WoW really nicely on a $500 Mac Mini - no uber-expensive Mac Pro upgrades required.
I did start a thread to find out if anyone actually noticed any big difference running ML to running on a SL system and nobody as I recall said much about differences. The only issue I really see is some fairly huge lag at the start of the old world bosses (Sha & Galleon). Somehow I am not so sure that using ML instead would materially change that, at least given how many folks do seem to have issues like that.

The down & upside was referring to them telling us exactly what you said in your post... i.e. when we can expect the lockout. We already know it's coming... and if you are correct, it's nice to know some wont have to scramble so quickly now.

So if you are correct, it SEEMS there will be a ways to go. Speculation yes, but it looks like 5.3 ill hit in the next 2 months. We know there is a 5.4, the speculation is whether it will have a T16 raid, which seems mostly likely. That may hit late fall this year. Blizzcon 13 may announce next xpac, which may hit late summer, early fall 14. That would out 2 years between xpacs, all very logical.
The down & upside was referring to them telling us exactly what you said in your post... i.e. when we can expect the lockout. We already know it's coming... and if you are correct, it's nice to know some wont have to scramble so quickly now.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but if Blizzard said "Patch 6.0" then you'd take that as a promise. Therefore, if for whatever reason Blizzard had to hard lockout SL early in any patch in-between you'd say they have betrayed you, or call them jerks, or any assortment of other derogatives for pulling the plug early. So I can see a large downside to stating "officially" what I said.

Which is why I was, and still am, keen to use weasel words such as "it's likely," or "you have at maximum," or "if I had to bet on it" when explaining what I think -- because what I say is just speculation.

But it is speculation based on the common sense of believing that Blizzard would likely not want to disrupt players in the current xpac and that it's how it was handled for the last two expansions.

So if you are correct, it SEEMS there will be a ways to go.

Seems -- yes -- but remember 10.6.8 is below the minimum requirement and access has been maintained more or less as just a courtesy. A courtesy that could end early (before patch 6.0) due to bugs or game enhancement they want to roll out.

So don't fool yourself -- don't let me fool you -- into a false sense of security.

In otherwords, figure out how you're going to overcome a hard SL lockout -- now. If you implement that solution as soon as possible then you won't have to worry about being locked out regardless of when the actual cutoff occurs.
No matter what they'd actually say, I sure would expect several weasel words to be used... not surprising at all. And, just for your edification, I am as totally unlike those whiners as could be... I DO have a command of the language and know pretty much all there is to know about those weasel words (surprised to see someone around here use the term, it is SO spot on). You and both know that whenever it happens, there will be a furious collection of nastiness aimed at Blizzard. Yes, I was mightily pi**ed at the forced Intel transition, but that happened within about 3-4 weeks of my starting to play the game at a time it was difficult for me to run out and buy a new machine!

As you see from my post above, I do have a plan... but there is another aspect to it that many OS X users may be totally unaware of... one of the things that puts another layer of dirt on my feelings towards Cupertino. The way they have it rigged now is you pay and download the installer, run it and before you know it, that which you used to install it gets wiped out. So if you have ANY issue where you may want to re-install, you'd have a HUGE hassle to find another machine, sing into your account, re-download it (remember about 5Gs worth), somehow out it on some other media then figure out how to get it installed!

So, users SHOULD follow a slightly different path... one that has them securing their ability to install the OS again, be it on the same machine or any other partitions on their current machine. MANY will be the times when one may need to re-install the OS, especially given as how it simply is not the kind of solid beast it used to be. The best way to deal with it would be (IMO) to follow what Ars tells us:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/

10 bucks to Newegg just got me a 8G USB flash drive. If anyone is uncomfortable, simply copying the package one downloads off to optical media will provide some basic protection. But using the app mentioned in the article is about as simple as it can get!
04/21/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Brightbrown
No matter what they'd actually say, I sure would expect several weasel words to be used... not surprising at all.
I'm being pedantic / overly obvious here, but Blizzard don't need to use weasel words. They have information they need to share, all they need to do is state it. "5.2 will introduce a message informing you of the impending doom of 10.6.8, if you are using it, yet allow you to continue to play. Please otherwise upgrade your operating system." Obviously, the player is suppose to read the post, investigate if they are affected (if they don't already know), then figure out remediation so that they do not get the pop-up message when launching the game after patch 5.2. But, you and I know this isn't how it happens.

All the player wants to know if if they can ignore the message or not. Because either they don't want to upgrade, can't upgrade, or "it's complicated".

04/21/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Brightbrown
You and both know that whenever it happens, there will be a furious collection of nastiness aimed at Blizzard.

Oh, you mean there hasn't already been said nastiness? :)

I totally understand the aversion to change. Change is very often difficult and complicated, expensive, and / or just not wanted. So it's only nature to try to find fault with the assertion that it is necessary or barring that just insult or assassinate the messenger.

I mean, it's terribly rude and inconsiderate of me to boil everyone's criticism down to "an agenda". But, lots of the criticism is just extreme hyperbole or blatant attempts to push words into Blizzard's mouth that aren't true. So i'm going to call them on it.
Again. Just tell us when. With 10.5 we got what, 2 weeks warning? Yes, we have been warned. More than a few weeks in advance, even. This just makes many of us feel that Blizz has no clue what they are doing and are not planning well. They have to know when they are going to lock out 10.6. Why aren't they telling us?

The only news we are getting is some dwarf dude who, in my humble opinion, has an attitude about the whole subject.

I'm being pedantic / overly obvious here, but Blizzard don't need to use weasel words. They have information they need to share, all they need to do is state it. "5.2 will introduce a message informing you of the impending doom of 10.6.8, if you are using it, yet allow you to continue to play. Please otherwise upgrade your operating system." Obviously, the player is suppose to read the post, investigate if they are affected (if they don't already know), then figure out remediation so that they do not get the pop-up message when launching the game after patch 5.2. But, you and I know this isn't how it happens.

All the player wants to know if if they can ignore the message or not. Because either they don't want to upgrade, can't upgrade, or "it's complicated".
04/22/2013 06:54 AMPosted by Tragica
Again. Just tell us when. With 10.5 we got what, 2 weeks warning? Yes, we have been warned. More than a few weeks in advance, even. This just makes many of us feel that Blizz has no clue what they are doing and are not planning well. They have to know when they are going to lock out 10.6. Why aren't they telling us?
Look at the date on the original post in this thread -- It was over 2 months ago. You are being given ample advance notice. Now you are getting a pop up message, every time, when you run WoW. There will likely be a third notice. Don't ignore these.

Just figure out a solution that works for you and implement it as soon as possible. If you rectify your deficiency as soon as you can then you don't have worry about whatever the exact date it is.

If you need help -- if you don't know what you need to do -- or you need some ideas, please ask. Don't ignore the message.

Let us help you get back into compliance so that you don't need worry about an exact date.
Yes. I see the original date. Still doesn't change the fact that knowing WHEN 10.6 will be unplayable will help in planning.

And again, no blues, just some dude with an attitude posting replies here.

Look at the date on the original post in this thread -- It was over 2 months ago. You are being given ample advance notice. Now you are getting a pop up message, every time, when you run WoW. There will likely be a third notice. Don't ignore these.

Just figure out a solution that works for you and implement it as soon as possible. If you rectify your deficiency as soon as you can then you don't have worry about whatever the exact date it is.

If you need help -- if you don't know what you need to do -- or you need some ideas, please ask. Don't ignore the message.

Let us help you get back into compliance so that you don't need worry about an exact date.
04/22/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Tragica
Yes. I see the original date. Still doesn't change the fact that knowing WHEN 10.6 will be unplayable will help in planning.

Blizzard isn't going to make a "promise" to you that they can't keep. So unless they have a specific plan that they can commit to, they will not tell you a patch number or date. What you need to know is that Blizzard will likely not fix any bugs that affect only customers using 10.6 anymore and that you need to upgrade as soon as you can to avoid any interruption to gameplay.

The most likely circumstance where play is interrupted is that a patch (let's say 5.2) is introduced that unintentionally introduces a glitch, bug, or otherwise adversely affects those customers using Snow Leopard.

I would say that it is unlikely that Blizzard will purposefully lockout 10.6 users before patch 6.0, just don't bet on it. Find some solution, that works for you, that puts you back at or beyond minimum system requirements.

Action on it as soon as you can and you don't have to worry then.
Ok i know im extra late on this... but after its all said and done will OS X 10.6.8 be able to run WoW..or will i have to buy a software update to continue playing?
Moonprincess, for the time being: Yes, 10.6.8 will run WoW. But it will end eventually.

You need to update to 10.7 or 10.8 to ensure that your gameplay will not be interrupted.
Good thing I still have a Bootcamp partition with Win7 on it, left over from a flirtation with SW:TOR. I'll keep my Snow Leopard, and play WoW too!

Hey, maybe Blizz could add a Snow Leopard companion pet as FoS...
I read all your posts and I will try to clarify some of your concerns.

#1 When is Blizzard dropping 10.6 for real?

The truth here is that we do not know. We won't block any user from playing without a really good reason. The most obvious case would be if we find a bug that is just impossible or incredibly hard to fix. As of now, you should expect minor bugs to be overlooked. If you have 10.6.8, please play the PTR and report any important crash. We can't guarantee that we will fix the problem but we will look at it.

#2 Why are you dropping 10.6 when you are still supporting Windows XP?

Windows and OSX are very different in term of support and we have different reasons to drop an OS. The age of the OS is not factor. Features, stability, Apple/Microsoft support are much more important. The most important factor is number of users.

#3 Why are you doing this?

Many of you mentioned valid reasons but here's the major one at the moment.
Apple dropped support for 10.6.8 in XCode 4.3, unfortunately XCode 4.2 isn't stable enough to be usable, it will crash a few times per hour when we debug any of our games. The benefits of using XCode 4 (like FPS increase) are also too big to just ignore. This makes it very difficult to fix any bugs on 10.6.8.
Just wondering, but is this why some of my addons have stopped working a few weeks ago? (before patch 5.3) I still have 10.6.8 and no budget space for the upgrades for a while.
Just wondering, but is this why some of my addons have stopped working a few weeks ago? (before patch 5.3) I still have 10.6.8 and no budget space for the upgrades for a while.

Addons are platform agnostic. They run on LUA code, not C++ or C# code. If they stopped working it was because of some feature they added, changed, or a patch (even a small incremental patch) to WoW that caused it.

It may even have been something as simple as just needing to go back in and tick the "Load out of date addons" checkbox in the Addons preference window.