Monk Or Paladin?

General Discussion
I am having trouble deciding between the two and want to know Which is the best class? Monk or Pally?
Monks are more fun. I feel like Paladins are more successful.
Ive played Ret since Vanilla and leveled mine to 90. Made a monk alt and fell in love right away. All I can say is catch up is painful especially after putting so much time into one character but in 5.3 the pain will get a little relief.
Well... monks get to wear cool rogue armor.
Not all of it, but a lot of it.
Monks are far easier to get started, though I hear at higher gear levels, Ret will do better than Monks in the DPS area.

Tanking, Brewmaster is far more complicated IMO, from reading the guide. Prot is quite a bit simpler.

Mistweaver/Holy? Can't comment, never did them.

For DPS monks, when you first ding 90, your monk will put out FAR more damage than your Paladin will. You will routinely do 30-35k solo, while an LFR-geared paladin struggles to do the same without buffs.

Paladins have ramp-up time (getting Censure to 5 stacks, having enough time to get Inquisition up and then start laying down the Templar's, etc).

Paladins are very cooldown-dependant; most of your damage comes from GotAK and Avenging Wrath, while Monks have very few cooldowns (Tiger Brew, Refreshing Brew, and your Lv90 Talent) which means they'll do consistent damage.

Inquisition Blows Hard IMO, having to build up 3 Holy Power before you get your Make-or-Break 30% Damage Buff is a bit ridiculous. Meanwhile, a Monk's short-term DPS buff takes -1- Chi to cast, Tiger Palm and it lasts 30 seconds.

Monks are also the Kings of AoE. lolspinkick or fists of fury, you'll top the DPS meter anytime there's 4+ mobs in a pull if you know what you're doing. Meanwhile, as a Ret Paladin, if mobs don't live long enough to let you get Inquisition up and then do a Divine Storm... your DPS is going to suck, even with Mass Exorcism.

So, in the end run...

Unless you're going for Normal/Heroic Raids, you will likely perform better as a WW Monk than a Ret Paladin.

Also, Monks get Roll and WW Monks get Flying Serpent Kick, fun little toys that help noobs escape the fire in Dungeons/Raids and it can also help increase your DPS (by getting you away from and back to a mob faster).
Monks are much better than those pirouetting, glitter spreading, butterfly winged freaks.
02/18/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Lena
Monks are much better than those pirouetting, glitter spreading, butterfly winged freaks.

I said I was sorry.
I'd say monk, but that's really only because I can actually level them without falling asleep, which is a step up from Paladins. If you wanna get technical about it... Meh look at the post above :P
Ive played Ret since Vanilla and leveled mine to 90. Made a monk alt and fell in love right away. All I can say is catch up is painful especially after putting so much time into one character but in 5.3 the pain will get a little relief.

This monk dinged 90 about 12 days ago or something like that (there has only been 1 Tuesday/reset since she dinged 90, I know that much) and as you can see, she already has 463 along with most of a full suit of 463+ gear.

I wasn't doing chain heroics, either. Well, I did 4-5 of them the first weekend because I wanted her to have her valor capped before that first Tuesday, but other than that, I've been doing 1 heroic and 1 scenario per day along with my dailies.

I would have done the 2nd half of MSV, 'cept I got into a group with noobs that couldn't clear Will because of <20k DPS and tanks who weren't even trying to dodge the big attacks.

This character averages 50k DPS overall per dungeon, with spikes of up to 90k on AoE-heavy trash pulls (SM Cath, SPM, etc).
Monk is overall more fun in all 3 specs. I find my pally boring and holy power was so stupid to put in
02/18/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Drualia
Monk is overall more fun in all 3 specs. I find my pally boring and holy power was so stupid to put in

Meh, I like Holy Power.

I just hate Inquisition with a purple passion. If I wanted a resource-heavy short-term buff that I had to keep up, I'd play Rogue or Feral Druid.

Without Inquisition, though, Holy Power is awesome. Word of Glory is awesome. I remember the days when if you wanted to heal yourself, you had to stop and cast which was a HUGE DPS loss (and you couldn't do it at all if you were a tank).

Anyways... another little point about monks:

Paladins like to brag about their 150k Templar's crits, eh?

I love it when I have Tiger Palm up, a Rising Sun Kick debuff on the mob, a Blackout Kick debuff on the mob and THEN my Trinkets are available (I have them macro'd with Rising Sun Kick) and I do Rising Sun Kick....

I've seen crits upwards of 250,000 damage! And I'm not even raid geared! What would those be when I'm i500+????

That always gets a good hearty chuckle out of me.

Also, Touch of Death kicks serious butt too. It is my personal little game to try and kill every boss with ToD.
Monks are way more fun IMO.

As for most powerful? Both have pros and cons.

HPallies are OP in PvP but otherwise there's not really an overpowered spec between monks or paladins right now.

Mistweavers and WWs might end up strong in 5.2 with the changes being made to them but that's TBD.

Brewmaster IMO is simply better than Prot paladin in almost every way. The only real disadvantage relative to a prot pally IMO is that Brewmasters can take a lot of damage on the pull before they have their shuffle up.

But over the course of a fight, a Brewmaster is going to average 40-50% avoidance in even 463 ilvl gear. I'm at 18% base avoidance in my crappy gear but keeping shuffle up bumps it to 38%. Then you have to factor in 30% dodge from Elusive brew at times, any potions/flasks/trinkets. I imagine a well geared Brewmaster could easily average over 50% avoidance during a fight.

Basically, a Brewmaster who's good and knows what he's doing can take less damage than any other tank. One that's bad and doesn't know what he's doing will have barely any more survivability than a DPS.
For tanking monks can hold aggro easily, where a paladin need to blow cooldowns to generate enough threat before dps can start attacking it. "Active mitigation" has made pallys way more squishy. Sure monks have pretty weak armor, but they have way better active mitigation.

For dps both need that hast, pallys more-so then monks. both have a variant of the combo system, but monks have a nice flow where as pallys are slow and cluncky.

Paladin healing is good overall. I don't know much about monk healing, and so I'd leave that to someone who knows about that to do a comparison.
I'd go with the Warrior, more dps better tank. Win-Win
Brewmaster IMO is simply better than Prot paladin in almost every way. The only real disadvantage relative to a prot pally IMO is that Brewmasters can take a lot of damage on the pull before they have their shuffle up.

Other than, of course, the fact that BM is far more complicated with that Stagger mechanic... which, btw, how the heck do you tell how much "Stagger" you have on you? I couldn't find anything on my UI anywhere that gave me any clue. In fact, I have an ability that mentions Stagger (Purifying Brew) and I'm looking at all of my buttons and I'm going "Um.... wtf is this Stagger Damage stuff?" because the game simply does not tell you what that is exactly. Nowhere in your Spellbook does it mention Stagger Damage, EXCEPT for Purifying Brew. Nothing on your UI element mentions it, there's no meters, gauges, etc that gives you any clues that I could see whatsoever.

The only reason I know that 'Stagger Damage' appears to build as you take damage is because I read a third-party guide. The very same guide suggested downloading a third-party addon that helps you manage Stagger. Really? Blizz couldn't have given us a UI element to at least tell us this kinda stuff? I tried looking at my buffs and debuffs while tanking, I didn't see it.

So yeah..... Prot Paladin is much more simple in terms of actual rotations and what buttons you hit.

How hard can it be? Throw your shield, use Judgment and Hammer/Crusader, bash with your shield whenever 3 HoPo, and heal yourself when needed? It isn't hard and it can be learned in like 30 seconds.

After doing Crown Chemical Co. as Brewmaster like 10 times now, I still can't get the hang of when I should use what. Keg Smash? Of course, you do that whenever possible. Trying to keep track of Shuffle? Meh, wish there was a better UI element than that tiny little buff icon in the upper-right area of the screen. Trying to remember to use Breath of Fire? Meh. I keep forgetting it is even there. Trying to throw in enough Tiger Palms to keep the Tiger Palm buff up? Gaaaah, if only I had an empty GCD!

And of course... "When the bleeeeep should I use Purifying Brew!?"
I like monks, but I like pallies a lot more. LOVE DEM PALLIES
Monk is easier to level. If you make it panda, you can also benefit from the OP double well fed buff.

Protection paladin is arguably the best tank out there in terms of survivability and utility.
No such thing as best, just peoples opinions of best.

Both of my mains are Monk and Paladin.
02/18/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Abendroth
Protection paladin is arguably the best tank out there in terms of survivability and utility.

/falls down laughing.

Oh man! That's a good one.