RIP Jab

Monk
A moment of silence
/removes invisible hat

IT WAS SO YOUNG :,(
I used it on the ptr just now, I was thinking of the captain Picard meme the whole time. :(
/sob
Good thing I'm not a Mistweaver...but I still has the feels.

/feels
rip in peace
They are doing away with it!?
Just making it completely not worth using...
I had actually just recently discovered how to Fistweave for the purposes of Daily Quests. I'm really sad that it's gonna be a mana sink now. I'm sure I'll still be fine questing (since I can stop and drink whenever) but for the players who actively used it during raiding, I'm sorry for your loss.

I am very interested to see where Blizzard takes the Monk class. It has changed a lot since the class was announced, and the play style changes a bit every patch. I like that a lot, actually, and I'm still happy that I picked my Monk to main :)
Many people seem to be conveniently overlooking the Muscle Memory buff.
I keep wondering how can a monk Fistweave without it? I was on the PTR and I was thinking to myself with Jab costing so much mana what does a monk do that is standing in Melee? Everything else cost chi to use, so it's not like you can burn threw jabs anymore.

What you jab one time and SM till you have enough chi to bust out a few TP's then go right back to SM? Thing is your not auto attacking when your doing SM, So where exactly does this leave fistweaving? Seems to me more the death of Fistweaving.

Please stop.

Jab is still completely viable, for fistweaving.

Blizzards goal is make monks stop jabbing for uplifts and jabbing for fistweaving. The Muscle Memory buff you get from jabbing after using it restores 4% mana, and you get it from simply jabbing once.

The problem with it now is there is no other reliable way to gain chi now with jab so expensive, although I believe I read somewhere that they're making SM more reliable on chi generation.
Really does not look that bad.

Essentially you Jab, renewing mist or expel harm > Blackout Kick (Zerpent's Zeal going) then Jab > Tiger Palm. While it seems expensive at first, you are doing decent damage as well. Not to mention you are not forced to just melee. I see no harm in fistweaving then switching it up to soothing mist > surging mist (which will be either free or reduced cost) and get your enveloping mist going.

Spec is far from dead, we don't need to knee jerk cry like the warrior forums do.

Edit: I mention the renewing mist or expel harm because you do NOT want to waste your muscle memory. You still get 4% back from Blackout kick and it sets you up for your tiger palm spam.

Edit 2: I also really wish they would rework vital mists. Make it a 3 stack, 33%. It would allow fistweaving to feel a bit smoother.
02/23/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Miligou
Many people seem to be conveniently overlooking the Muscle Memory buff.

I was thinking the same thing...

Jab now costs 8% of Base Mana, up from 6%.

Muscle Memory now restores 4% mana, up from 2%.

Now, I'm not a math major... but I'm pretty sure that is a 2% change in both directions. And, last time I checked, if you make a spell cost 2% more mana and then make another spell return 2% more mana... then the result of that process will change precisely nothing.

In fact, the only result of this change I can see is to put more emphasis on Mistweavers performing a proper rotation... which is what I believe the change is intended to do.
If I am not mistaken, (and I really could be), wasn't Jab 4% and they increased the cost to 6%? Now they are increasing it to 8%? So that's doubling the cost of the spell while only increasing the mana regen by 2%. I'll see if I can find the answer but I can vaguely remember reading that on MMO.
02/23/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Cixi
If I am not mistaken, (and I really could be), wasn't Jab 4% and they increased the cost to 6%? Now they are increasing it to 8%? So that's doubling the cost of the spell while only increasing the mana regen by 2%. I'll see if I can find the answer but I can vaguely remember reading that on MMO.

Please, look at the previous two posts. They both say MM is increased to 4%.
That's what I stated. Reading comprehension ftw. I said, they increased it by 2%. 2+2=4. I was asking if the original cost of Jab was or is 4% vs. the change to 6% / 8%.
It's 4%, but no return, on live. They changed to it to 6% with 2% return, now 8% with 4% return.
It'll cost 8% of your mana to jab and your next BoK or TP will restore 4% of your mana. This is a fistweaving only tool, you should pretty much never use it unless you're actually doing TP or BoK. Jab will cost just about the same as it currently does now on live (slightly more) for fistweaving but will be like surging mists if you're using it for uplifts.

Keep in mind that SM is incredibly efficient and if they make it so the rng of the move isn't so terrible we wont' be entirely non-viable. The really only crappy thing is it'll make Chi Brew stronger as an on demand cooldown for when there's a decent amount of aoe healing to be done (a la wind lord's rain of blades) although ascension (plus the mana meta and gnome racial) could allow a little more to be given back from fistweaving.

I already know that I'm going to have a lot of habits to break when this goes live. If this turns out really badly don't be suprised if there's more tuning to be done. If you picked up a mistweaver thinking we'd be a well oiled machine with no more work needed to be done from the get-go you picked the wrong class. Expect us to constantly be iterrated on even through the next expansion. Think how much change Death Knights have gone through, this is round 2 and if you're not comfortable with that you might want to look elsewhere for a healing class.
Well, it doesn't seem like the sky is falling. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens once the change is released. Thank you for the clarification.