5.2 PTR CM nerf reverted; Pyro nerfed 10%

Mage
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
This is a very good move.
You can't nerf Critical Mass! Burn Blizzard HQ to the ground! Salt the earth! Ghostcrawler is the devil's son!

Oh a nerf was reverted and a more sensible one applied within 24 hours of the announcement of said unpleasant nerf? Boy is my face red.

How so? It was reverted due to the amount of complaining about it, no complaints and it would have continued to live. Not sure whats difficult to get, if no one speaks out against anything then the people in charge would always assume everything is A OK.

Don't bother with him. If it had been up to him, everyone would have groveled at GC's feet, said "zomg, CM is still too high, please nerf it to 1.05, and thank you sir, may I have another??"
02/28/2013 09:32 PMPosted by Harlach
How so? It was reverted due to the amount of complaining about it, no complaints and it would have continued to live.

Yes, Chicken Little posts on the forums are what gets everything done. Never mind the fact that the devs explicitly do not read these forums and hate - haaaaate - that style of posting. Congrats! You did it!

02/28/2013 10:42 PMPosted by Taymage
Don't bother with him. If it had been up to him, everyone would have groveled at GC's feet, said "zomg, CM is still too high, please nerf it to 1.05, and thank you sir, may I have another??"

The only two options - groveling at the feet of the developers and loving every nerf or screaming that you will unsub thanks to a DPS loss in the next patch.
I'll jump on the bandwagon and say this is the route to take for nerfs. Nerfing direct damage scaling is way better then crit multipliers.

However, lets also not forgot that right now combustion is junk, unless you can chain 3-4 pyro's together/spread that combust nicely. Get rid of the stacking ignites and bring back the big bang ignites and our combustion off of that, then I'd really be happy!
Nerfing the direct damage of our nukes was the correct solution from the beginning of 5.1. It just took them 3 months to finally concede that we were right all along.

02/28/2013 11:08 PMPosted by Mahourai
Yes, Chicken Little posts on the forums are what gets everything done. Never mind the fact that the devs explicitly do not read these forums and hate - haaaaate - that style of posting. Congrats! You did it!

Whether they read the forums or not, they went with the change that many of us were talking about when the first CM nerf hit as a more sensible way to keep fire's numbers in check without making it terrible to play before you're in full heroic raid gear.

"The Fire changes were because we needed to nerf Fire to keep other mage specs competitive in PvE in 5.2, but we agree that nerfing Critical Mass unfairly targets less well geared players, and that the spec is just less fun if it crits too rarely. (Long term, we might investigate some of the non-linear percent scaling suggestions players have made.)"

Out of curiosity who do you think they are agreeing with? Themselves? Did they release another CM nerf announcement and then retract it within 24 hours because they simply had a change of heart based on mythical, magical "internal testing" overnight and the player feedback had no influence on their decision at all? Just giving you enough rope to hang yourself with.

03/01/2013 12:05 AMPosted by Kaikou
Nerfing the direct damage of our nukes was the correct solution from the beginning of 5.1. It just took them 3 months to finally concede that we were right all along.

Don't worry the sycophants will be here in force soon to claim all the credit for Blizzard and let us know our feedback plays no part in development.
02/28/2013 11:08 PMPosted by Mahourai
How so? It was reverted due to the amount of complaining about it, no complaints and it would have continued to live.

The only two options - groveling at the feet of the developers and loving every nerf or screaming that you will unsub thanks to a DPS loss in the next patch.

I'm not unsubbing, but I am no longer playing my mage, and its not because of buffs or nerfs, but the amount of fun I have with the class with invocation/rune of power. What I was saying is that if people voice their displeasure then you know that eventually someone will hear it. You can't glean much from a silent playerbase.
I just recently came back to wow.

What was CM before the nerf? 30% what?
I just recently came back to wow.

What was CM before the nerf? 30% what?

CM in 5.0 was 1.5 or +50% crit. Two days after 5.1 landed with no PTR testing whatsoever CM was nerfed to +25% in a hotfix, then later buffed to +30%. Now they were nerfing to to +20% but that's been reverted.
:o !!!
Great move with the critical mass but now im scared for fire pvp. First our 90 tier talent's and now pyroblast... :/
03/01/2013 01:57 AMPosted by Solix
Great move with the critical mass but now im scared for fire pvp. First our 90 tier talent's and now pyroblast... :/

Chaining pyros into DF will still be pretty OP. They probably would have ended up nerfing pyroblast's damage in the future anyway after chaining pyros into frozen targets becomes a more popular occurrence in PvP and people start complaining about it.
Didn't I already state the change would probably be reverted? Oh yes, yes I did.
03/01/2013 01:57 AMPosted by Solix

Well one thing: you will be able to have both Scorch and PoM now, so that should help

"The Fire changes were because we needed to nerf Fire to keep other mage specs competitive in PvE in 5.2, but we agree that nerfing Critical Mass unfairly targets less well geared players, and that the spec is just less fun if it crits too rarely. (Long term, we might investigate some of the non-linear percent scaling suggestions players have made.)"

Out of curiosity who do you think they are agreeing with? Themselves? Did they release another CM nerf announcement and then retract it within 24 hours because they simply had a change of heart based on mythical, magical "internal testing" overnight and the player feedback had no influence on their decision at all? Just giving you enough rope to hang yourself with.

03/01/2013 12:05 AMPosted by Kaikou

Don't worry the sycophants will be here in force soon to claim all the credit for Blizzard and let us know our feedback plays no part in development.

I'm very skeptical if their internal testing. If they had really good internal testing we wouldn't see round number nerfs or buffs. Instead of really grinding through numbers they're just saying "Let's try 10% and see how that works."....."Well that didn't work how about 5%"
03/01/2013 09:04 AMPosted by Warpt
I'm very skeptical if their internal testing. If they had really good internal testing we wouldn't see round number nerfs or buffs. Instead of really grinding through numbers they're just saying "Let's try 10% and see how that works."....."Well that didn't work how about 5%"

There is no testing, or at least no testing that gives any valuable information. Or maybe they just don't give a crap. But that should have been obvious with the insane way they hotfix nerfed CM with literally zero testing on the PTR right after 5.1.
ITT: The conspiracy theorists of wow.
Lhivera - I told you so. :P
A good change for now, but does not solve the problem.

The problem with fire is that crit will not only boost the dps by more crit, but also make ratio between fireball and pyroblast change dramatically. And the dps of pyroblast is way too high compared to fireball.

Eventually, they will still nerf CM, or in another way, nerf pyroblast damage by around 30% or even more. Unless they figure out something really brilliant, I can not see how to fix this piece of crap of fire mechanism.