Blue Please Read: Account server transfer

General Discussion

How would it be a money loss?

Currently - person stays where they are because they can't afford to move their toons.

Net money to Blizzard - 0

With proposal - person moves all toons for $60

Net money to Blizzard - $60

Cheers.

The car dealership should totally give me a brand new car for $60!

Currently - I don't get a brand new car, because I can't afford it.

Net money to dealer - 0

With proposal - I get a brand new car for $60

Net money to dealer - $60

Cheers.

Now, do you see how ridiculous that is? lol

it cost money to make a brand new car, it cost nothing to move data....

How would it be a money loss?

Currently - person stays where they are because they can't afford to move their toons.

Net money to Blizzard - 0

With proposal - person moves all toons for $60

Net money to Blizzard - $60

Cheers.

The car dealership should totally give me a brand new car for $60!

Currently - I don't get a brand new car, because I can't afford it.

Net money to dealer - 0

With proposal - I get a brand new car for $60

Net money to dealer - $60

Cheers.

Now, do you see how ridiculous that is? lol

New Car costs money to produce. Value is based on what it cost to make.

Server transfers cost next to nothing to accomplish.

Get a better example.

BTW: It's common economics. You can price things too high that no one will buy them. You lower the price and make tons of money.

Cheers.
02/28/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Bigscreen
it cost money to make a brand new car, it cost nothing to move data....

Exactly.

I have 11 90s on my server atm. Been playing here since TBC. Nowadays, it's pretty dead. I'd transfer off, but I'm -NOT- willing to pay $275 for a transfer of all my characters. I won't reroll, because I am attached to the characters I have now as they are now. I will not only transfer one or two toons, because I'm a major altoholic.

Here's the trick: if they made a bulk transfer, even as high as $100 for up to 11 toons on a 1 year cooldown or something ridiculous, they'd get $100 from me, which would be a net gain of $100, since moving the data costs literally nothing that they wouldn't already be paying anyway.

Since they don't have the bulk transfer, they won't get my money.

I'm getting bored. My server is dead, and I only casually PvP, mainly in arena - the one thing that CRZ and Real ID can't help populate despite my server's deadness. If this keeps up and I stay as bored as I am now a few weeks into 5.2, I will not pay the outrageous price to transfer. Instead, I will quit until they do something to make the game fun for me again or actually repopulate my realm.
Yea I agree there should be some way to transfer more than 1 toon at a time. i spent way too much money moving both my dk and shaman 110 or 50 dollars per server change. ive probably spent atleast 3k on this game for those alone.
A bulk character transfer would absolutely be worth at least the cost of buying a new expansion. I think character transfers were first introduced during the TBC era, and since then Blizz has added, race/faction/name changes. It's time to offer a service like with when so many people have so many different alts.

When TBC first came out people did not have as many alts as they do now, because of the addition of BOA gear, it has allowed players to create more characters to play with. 25$ for a single character doesn't work anymore, because no one wants to transfer just one character anymore, they want to transfer all their characters.

Get a better example.

Hosting servers in a data center isn't cheap, maintaining the servers and databases isn't cheap, having backbone connections to the net and electricity to power the servers is most definitely not cheap.

Get a better example.

Hosting servers in a data center isn't cheap, maintaining the servers and databases isn't cheap, having backbone connections to the net and electricity to power the servers is most definitely not cheap.

Yeah, I think some people don't really understand the economics of software development and computing.

Yeah, I think some people don't really understand the economics of software development and computing.

The overhead has to be astronomical. I know what it is for my work location per month and I can only guess at Blizzards.
Thats why I assume they charge 15$ a month, to make sure they cover their costs. I am guessing, but I would think these additional services would definitely be going towards their profits more than towards their daily cost of running this game.

Its not even that I am saying give us free character transfers, I am saying give us a bulk character transfer, and I will pay for it.
Thats why I assume they charge 15$ a month, to make sure they cover their costs. I am guessing, but I would think these additional services would definitely be going towards their profits more than towards their daily cost of running this game.

Its not even that I am saying give us free character transfers, I am saying give us a bulk character transfer, and I will pay for it.

They are a business looking to make a profit not just cover their costs. We altaholics kind of made our own beds having so many alts.

They are a business looking to make a profit not just cover their costs. We altaholics kind of made our own beds having so many alts.

Yeah there's the development cost that has to be recovered too.

Then there's the base operational costs of running it.

... then there's the need to make profit on top of that.

... and there's the need to not have server transfers be too common.
I think this is important. Some people would love to server change but would need to pay crazy prices to do so.

Blizzard, can you make something called "general" or "total" server transfer?
Please consider adding a new type of server transfer to your already available single character transfer, which would be an account wide server transfer. Consider a one time payable service for maybe around 60$ which would allow someone to transfer all their characters from one realm to another. Maybe even 75$ for account wide faction and server transfer. I would pay this to get my characters off this dead server that I play on.

I have 6 characters that are currently 85+ and I can't imagine paying 150$ just to move my characters from one realm to another. This game's population is not what it used to be, and there are some servers out there that are really struggling. I think some players could definitely benefit from a service like this.

I agree this would be a good thing. I have several higher lvl toons and have often considered moving servers but it would cost a fortune to try and move all of my toons.

So put a cooldown period on how often you can do a mass transfer, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, whatever it needs to be.

This game has changed from having Lots of players having 1-2 maybe even 3 main characters (TBC) to now having fewer players that have many more characters that they use.

I don't have 11 90's but for someone that does transfering characters comes at an extraordinary cost. These players have obviously invested some serious time to the game, Blizz has been taking their 15$/month for years at that point. A bulk character transfer would appeal to me, and I am sure to many others.
02/28/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Jedipriest
But wait a minute, everyone said CRZ's were going to address server populations.

CRZ were never meant to effect server population. It was meant to simply add more people to lower level areas for questing and killing stuff.

It also allows people from all battle groups to group for raiding/farming as you see on Twitch TV and so on.

on the topic.....

The only way blizzard can fix their mistake is to merge realms

but the introduction of realm transfers is what lower the population for all servers. Everyone went to one or two servers cause they wanted to be in a more productive realm.

So blizzard should find a way to fix it.