Elder Charms??

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 15 Next
Can you get more than 3 a week?

Yes, I got 8 today.
Drop chances of gear in 5.0 raids have been increased substantially with 5.2, so even without the coins you have a much better chance of getting loot now than you did before even with a normal roll and a coin.

The chance of getting personal loot in Raid Finder and the chance of a successful bonus roll in Raid Finder have been greatly increased for the following raids, Mogu'shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of Endless Spring.

Also keep in mind the new 5.2 content isn't exclusive to people that have done all of the 5.0/5.1 content. It's tuned a little tougher but still someone can level to 90, jump straight to the Isle of Thunder, and start doing stuff on the island and finding Elder Charms. Even if you're still working on 5.0 raids, you should be looking to do some of the new 5.2 content?

The Elder Charms also drop fairly frequently on the isle.

Then explain to me why after doing all my dailies for today for the Thunder Isle, not ONE Elder Charm dropped from any mobs on there? Why can't players have the OPTION to choose how they want to spend their Lesser Charms? Why wasn't this implemented as giving players the "choice" vs. Blizzard gating players & preventing them from progressing?
Should just have it so that they have a random chance to drop off of mobs in the raid encounters or trash mobs
Should just have it so that they have a random chance to drop off of mobs in the raid encounters or trash mobs

I agree totally.
This seems to be the case which REALLY might be the "straw" that brakes the camel's back for me. Already already tired of doing a ton of dailies on my main & alt already. Thunder Isle is just more of the same we've had before. It reeks of Golden Lotus gating mechanism. Especially seeing as we can't do the first new LFR until next week. Again, Blizzard at it's finest not testing crap properly before they release it.

You're ilvl 486, why are you looking for bonus rolls on 5.0 raids?

This needs to be hot fixed immediately. We had access to our Elder Charms last week. There was no reason to remove them this week.

It's going to stay this way, sorry if it caught you off guard. You'll be using your Lesser Charms to buy Mogu Runes which give bonus rolls on 5.2 content.
03/05/2013 05:44 PMPosted by Bashiok
Drop chances of gear in 5.0 raids have been increased substantially with 5.2, so even without the coins you have a much better chance of getting loot now than you did before even with a normal roll and a coin.

Unless they have been doubled, and mounts included in that doubling of droprate, this isn't an acceptable change, as you now require more work to have the same chance as before. Its also a nice FU to those who aren't as far along in progression as to be entering normal TOT yet.
I got 3 charms off of some random treasure chest I found while running around IoT. Much better than farming the old dailies until I got 90 lessers.

Getting them doesn't require you to do any dailies. You can probably just scout around and farm them and you'd still get 3 more quickly than you'd get them if you did 45+ dailies. And, of course, you're not limited to a weekly cap of 3. If you do choose to do the dailies, you'll get the elder charms AND be building up your stock of mogu charms for when you're finally ready to hit ToT.
Even if you're still working on 5.0 raids, you should be looking to do some of the new 5.2 content.

As I said above, I'm not interested in rushing on out to the Isle of Thunder while absolutely everyone else is rushing on out there. I'm not into being an early adopter with the mad rush of other people, but thanks to this ever-present "play the game our way or don't play it" attitude from Blizzard, it seems the choices are go to the Isle now, or not have any Elder Charms at all to finish getting the gear I'd like to have from the current LFR raids and Sha and Galleon--more tier pieces anyone?
03/05/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Maximusrex
Unless they have been doubled, and mounts included in that doubling of droprate, this isn't an acceptable change

It's been more than doubled in some cases. We have to throw in free mounts too? Well... ok, the satchels you get off of bosses when you don't win an item now also have the chance to drop mounts and pets, among other things.

03/05/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Maximusrex
as you now require more work to have the same chance as before.

How so? Questing in older content to get Lesser Charms to turn in for Elder Charms... or questing in newer content just to find Elder Charms.

Considering you can almost literally find them just laying around in chests on the island, I wouldn't say it's necessarily harder to obtain them. Getting 90 Lesser Charms to convert into 3 probably took more time than it'll take to find 3 on the island.

Your idea of "fairly frequently" and "laying around" must be vastly different than mine. So far I've done the dailies on two different characters, with a group of friends, and none of us got any Elder Charms.

Guys/gals, I had maxed Grand Charms on my PTR toon for weeks and like 20 more stored up in unopened http://www.wowdb.com/items/94566-fortuitous-coffer . You're not going to have problems with this. It's easier to get them now than ever before.

I'm so glad for you that you are lucky. I would like some way for those of us who aren't as lucky as you to be able to get Elder Charms.
Another thing to keep in mind is that once per week you can use a Key to the Palace of Lei Shen to get Elder Charms of Good Fortune VERY easily.

In my first blind run, I got -14- Elder Charms of Good Fortune from a single Key to the Palace of Lei Shen.
03/05/2013 05:52 PMPosted by Velnius
Especially seeing as we can't do the first new LFR until next week

LFR has ALWAYS been a week delayed after new raids.

It reeks of Golden Lotus gating mechanism.

Not really. It's not like you can't do the regular raid TODAY/TONIGHT and start farming raid rep....
This seems to be the case which REALLY might be the "straw" that brakes the camel's back for me. Already already tired of doing a ton of dailies on my main & alt already. Thunder Isle is just more of the same we've had before. It reeks of Golden Lotus gating mechanism. Especially seeing as we can't do the first new LFR until next week. Again, Blizzard at it's finest not testing crap properly before they release it.

You're ilvl 486, why are you looking for bonus rolls on 5.0 raids?

This needs to be hot fixed immediately. We had access to our Elder Charms last week. There was no reason to remove them this week.

It's going to stay this way, sorry if it caught you off guard. You'll be using your Lesser Charms to buy Mogu Runes which give bonus rolls on 5.2 content.

Again, this is Blizzard "out of touch" with it's customer base. I would like the extra rolls to possibly get the sha-touched staff from ToES that NEVER dropped for me. I have the sha-touched caster sword, but I prefer staves vs. swords PLUS I would like to acquire the FULL set of LFR Tier 14 Mage set for the bonuses.
03/05/2013 06:12 PMPosted by Bashiok
Unless they have been doubled, and mounts included in that doubling of droprate, this isn't an acceptable change

It's been more than doubled in some cases. We have to throw in free mounts too? Well... ok, the satchels you get off of bosses when you don't win an item now also have the chance to drop mounts and pets, among other things.

as you now require more work to have the same chance as before.

How so? Questing in older content to get Lesser Charms to turn in for Elder Charms... or questing in newer content just to find Elder Charms.

Because in the new content they are random, and because to get to exalted with every faction in the old content gives you a 6 month supply of turn ins, so you need to work harder to get the coins.

That all said if the drop rates have been more then doubled then to me that addresses my concern.
One future concern this model (Elder Charms, Mogu Runes) raises is that it causes a similar problem to the WotLK Emblem Bloat. Eventually we'll have the Tier 16 Bonus Coin, which will make the Mogu Runes either unobtainable or less likely to obtain. Even though Elder Charms have gone away from being reliable drops and not entirely, they're still needed at this time.

It seems a rather uneloquent design model. Would it have not been a better idea to make the shift wholely to the Mogu Runes and cut Elder Charms out entirely? Allow the player to make the choice between "Well I can't run Throne of Thunder LFRs yet, my ilvl is still to low, so I can spend these coins to try to get items and have to progress in Tier 15 when its appropriate for my ilvl" instead of them being forced to hope and pray they get lucky getting charms while doing the new dailies, and then hope that their luck is better when the spend this now somewhat rare currency, yet they're sitting on X number of Lesser Charms and 10/10 Mogu Runes?

The chance of getting personal loot in Raid Finder and the chance of a successful bonus roll in Raid Finder have been greatly increased for the following raids, Mogu'shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of Endless Spring.

Also keep in mind the new 5.2 content isn't exclusive to people that have done all of the 5.0/5.1 content. It's tuned a little tougher but still someone can level to 90, jump straight to the Isle of Thunder, and start doing stuff on the island and finding Elder Charms. Even if you're still working on 5.0 raids, you should be looking to do some of the new 5.2 content.

Why quests still give lesser charms? We can no longer turn them in for greater charms, and please don't cover for this oversite by using the we may some future use for them line, we've been down that road before.
Why quests still give lesser charms? We can no longer turn them in for greater charms, and please don't cover for this oversite by using the we may some future use for them line

Um...You now turn them in for Mogu Runes which are Elder Charms for the 5.2 raids.

Apparently this never went live. They only drop from chests and daily bags afaik.

B-b-but it's content, or at least what blizz says is content.
and with the other hand, make it much harder to obtain Elder Charms for those raids?

Considering you can almost literally find them just laying around in chests on the island, I wouldn't say it's necessarily harder to obtain them. Getting 90 Lesser Charms to convert into 3 probably took more time than it'll take to find 3 on the island.

I just spent almost two hours doing these new dailies (yes, two hours, which is ridiculous on its own, honestly), and found exactly none of these chests. Mythical chests are mythical.

P.S. Exactly what are these mythical chests full of Elder Charms supposed to look like anyway? Typical gold mogu chest or ??