Elder Charms??

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 15 Next
And where do you get the keys... I ran around all over looking for some sort of chest... like for hours and found nothing, zip, nada, zilch. Very discouraging!

The keys drop off of, basically, any mob on the island. I got one off a troll on my 3rd kill (for the 12/12 troll quest).

I also found a chest (they look just like the Golden Lotus ones).

You people have to realize something - today was the FIRST DAMN DAY OF THE PATCH and you act like you should have everything NOW!

Bunch of spolied rotten malcontents, that is all you are. Especially Bombdanil. All you ever do is whine, whine, whine. You have to seriously be the single most annoying, narrow minded, obnoxious little troll I have ever seen. I wish I could really tell you off in the language that you deserve, but you are not worth the perma ban I would get. I will say this - the forums, and the gaming community in general, would be much better off if you just un-subbed.
As I said above, I'm not interested in rushing on out to the Isle of Thunder while absolutely everyone else is rushing on out there. I'm not into being an early adopter with the mad rush of other people, but thanks to this ever-present "play the game our way or don't play it" attitude from Blizzard, it seems the choices are go to the Isle now, or not have any Elder Charms at all to finish getting the gear I'd like to have from the current LFR raids and Sha and Galleon--more tier pieces anyone?

Just run the old LFRs a week or 2 and see if the increased drop rate was in your favor. Then decide if not having charms hurt you.

And you still may get some charms to drop on day TWO of the patch even if you just grind mobs (which also give Black Prince rep after revered). Happy Hunting.
I'm sorry but I don't think you guys fully understand the change.
First off all, you will absolutely get more charms in 1 single day then you used to get in an entire week previously.

Finally, they have nearly doubled the drop changes in the old LFRs so even if they completely removed the old charms in every aspect, you still would have a better chance getting loot now compared to previous.

Absolutely implies more then the zero I got, nearly doubled just means the same chance without a charm that i had before now with a charm, Since i was only doing lfr for 1 item for the last 6 odd weeks it has not really changed.
My DK started at 0130 with 0 and just finished with 11 and it's 0430.

I was lucky enough to get a key off a rare spawn (and they have spawned frequently) got 5 keys in the solo scenario...so, may be anecdotal here but I'm not worried about elder charms.
So does anyone know if the key is a random drop off any mob, or is it tied to the rare elites and chests (because whether or not you can loot a rare is a complete crapshoot from my experience, and I saw one chest all day)??

The key is a random drop off any mob involved in the quests you are doing there.
It is meant to be obtained very often. Everyone I spoke with got it before they completed their first quest. If you did any quests at all, you have it. Check your bags.

Looting a rare is in no way a crapshoot, especially now that they have changed the tag model.
The chests aren't meant to be common in the world.
They are a bonus for lucky questers.

I would just, once again, like to remind you that all this has been testable since January on the PTR.
Even if for some reason you couldn't get on there yourself, there is and has been tons of coverage on this topic.
Everyone is obviously allowed to express their opinion, but if you are going to act all surprised and upset about something like this you would do best to check the ptr before things go live.
They actually listen to feedback there, and maybe if enough people asked for an extra way to get Golden Charms they would have obliged.
Instead, all we have is a thread filled with a bunch of people who are confused about changes that were projected over a month ago.
A really simple solution to this would be to add a dialogue option to the former quest giver. You'd see a chat bubble option asking him "Where do I get Elder Charms of Good Fortune now?" and his reply would succinctly tell you how to obtain them.

The fact that players have to go to mmo-champions.com or browse the forums to find out pertinent information is an oversight that should be addressed by Blizzard.
I don't understand why we couldn't just have both quests to get Elder Charms and Mogu Runes. Its our choice to spend the coins. Some players will want it for the 5.0 LFR while some will want it for the 5.2.

Personally it would take me something like 7 weeks to use up all my lesser charms without doing any daily's at all, and I use my 90 lessers every week on the Charms/Now Runes. Having the option to still turn 90 charms into Elders would be a nice way to use up some of these leftover Lesser Charms. Yes its not needed, but it would be nice as an optional way obtain them rather than trying to farm them out in Isle (which btw I haven't seen any Elder charms in Isle besides the scenario because of this being a high pop server and isle is excessively crowded)

Is it really that detrimental to the game that we actually use our lesser charms at a rate more than 90 per week?

Also I don't know if its bad luck or what but LFR does not drop anything even with the new rates, all I see is gold and maybe 1 item per week (I even used rolls and my sha touched weapon still wont drop... I think this is my 47th roll on sha for it) The gold bags aren't containing anything besides gold either which was suppose to be a change wasn't it? I see people getting flasks and such from it but I have only seen gold.

Also, would it be too much to ask for an elder charm to have a CHANCE to drop out of a gold bag? I am not saying 100% I am just saying a chance.
First off all, you will absolutely get more charms in 1 single day then you used to get in an entire week previously.

Untrue. Just completely untrue. As I said previously, I did the new dailies, and didn't find ONE charm. Not one.

The key is a random drop off any mob involved in the quests you are doing there.
It is meant to be obtained very often. Everyone I spoke with got it before they completed their first quest. If you did any quests at all, you have it. Check your bags.

And again, completely untrue.

I would just, once again, like to remind you that all this has been testable since January on the PTR.
Even if for some reason you couldn't get on there yourself, there is and has been tons of coverage on this topic.
Everyone is obviously allowed to express their opinion, but if you are going to act all surprised and upset about something like this you would do best to check the ptr before things go live.
They actually listen to feedback there, and maybe if enough people asked for an extra way to get Golden Charms they would have obliged.
Instead, all we have is a thread filled with a bunch of people who are confused about changes that were projected over a month ago.

The PTR is not the same as Live no matter what people say. For something like this, where a mere fraction of the people are on the PTR, you cannot compare the two. Sure, people had charms falling out of their pockets on the PTR apparently, but there are so many more people in the area on Live that fewer charms will be had by all, at least in the beginning when it matters more to some people. Yes, I knew about the change and I wondered how it would work out. I'm not happy, thus I'm here providing feedback and discussion just like everyone else.
You people have to realize something - today was the FIRST DAMN DAY OF THE PATCH and you act like you should have everything NOW!

Bunch of spolied rotten malcontents, that is all you are. Especially Bombdanil. All you ever do is whine, whine, whine. You have to seriously be the single most annoying, narrow minded, obnoxious little troll I have ever seen. I wish I could really tell you off in the language that you deserve, but you are not worth the perma ban I would get. I will say this - the forums, and the gaming community in general, would be much better off if you just un-subbed.
I got a key when I was on the island doing quests that let me go into a solo instance. When I did the solo instance thing, I got a ton of elder charms from chests in there. I got a total of 7 elder charms in one day just from doing the Isle quests, including the timed solo instance thing. It's possible to be unlucky, but if the average that we used to get is 3 per week. I'm not sure we need to worry too much about elder charm rates, since that would mean getting 1 key a week almost guarantees you to get enough elder charms.
It's been more than doubled in some cases. We have to throw in free mounts too? Well... ok, the satchels you get off of bosses when you don't win an item now also have the chance to drop mounts and pets, among other things.

Well it would be nice if Sha mount and Galleon mount actually dropped considering their abyssal drop rate.
03/06/2013 02:15 AMPosted by Sodclucht
As I said above, I'm not interested in rushing on out to the Isle of Thunder while absolutely everyone else is rushing on out there. I'm not into being an early adopter with the mad rush of other people, but thanks to this ever-present "play the game our way or don't play it" attitude from Blizzard, it seems the choices are go to the Isle now, or not have any Elder Charms at all to finish getting the gear I'd like to have from the current LFR raids and Sha and Galleon--more tier pieces anyone?

Just run the old LFRs a week or 2 and see if the increased drop rate was in your favor. Then decide if not having charms hurt you.

And you still may get some charms to drop on day TWO of the patch even if you just grind mobs (which also give Black Prince rep after revered). Happy Hunting.

Ah, like running ToES last night and seeing two drops (which is not unusual as I've had that happen twice before in LFR) but not seeing the drops I want/need to see, and NOT having any Charms to have an extra chance to see the right loot drop. The point is if you have no Charms, there is less of a chance of getting the loot you really want overall, despite the raised drop chance.
There's too many Elder Charms now. First night on the isle, doing the treasure run, and I'm almost maxxed. And nothing to spend them on.
Just from personal experience and from that of my guildies, seems like the drop rate got buffed to something like 33%, not including bonus rolls. Got a lot of good stuff last night for my hunter so no complaints, AND got 3 extra Elder charms just from dailies.
The problem with this format is that the character that needs the Elder charms the most is the one that is least likely to get them.

Maariv (who really does not need them) was able to obtain three elder charms from a chest this morning. My ilvl360 monk is going to have a heck of a time on the Isle of Thunder -- she would do much better gearing up some first before attempting the new area.

Why create this artificial and un-needed barrier for fresh 90's? With all due respect, it just feels mean-spirited and unnecessary.

Please allow for other sources of Elder Charms outside of Isle of Thunder.

Thank you.

Why create this artificial and un-needed barrier for fresh 90's? With all due respect, it just feels mean-spirited and unnecessary.

You must not be aware of the MASSIVE overhaul they have done on Valor and reputation gear.
This makes it possible for you to essentially get max rep in less than half the time it took in 5.1, let alone 5.0.
On top of this, they have made it so all pre-5.2 valor pieces are considerably cheaper.

In terms of gearing up, they have nerfed 5.0 raids by 10 percent, and they are now available via cross realm, so you should be doing those weekly.
On top of this, it is now possible to hit galleon constantly. His spawn has been brought in line with Sha's, so you can do both of them each time in a week, something that few people had the luxury of saying previous.

Furthermore, they have already doubled (if not more than, apparently) the chances for 5.0 loot to drop in the old LFRs, so even minus the charms you have a considerably higher chance to get it.

But all this aside, charms are absurdly easy to get. You can now get up to 20 in a week (up from 3...) and you have the possibility of getting all those in 2 or so days.

All these changes put together essentially equate to the previous philosophy of adding dungeons to help catch up in ilvl for new players, but because of all the nostalgia longing for the old days, they keep it so you have to actually do the content in some iteration, but still should be focusing on the new stuff.

It is brilliant, if I do say so myself, and the fact that so many people are complaining about something that should be irrelevant to nearly every player minus some one who is trying to go from 440 ilvl to 500 ilvl in 2 weeks is baffling.

Next time you consider getting up in arms, remember - All this was testable for nearly 2 whole months on the PTR. People like myself spent hours of our lives making videos and news media for people like you to be able to get the answers you need without having to spend the time figuring it out.
If you can't check it out when they are ASKING for feedback and testing it, then don't bother complaining and begging for changes when it is live.
That time has long past.
Much like the tier in question.
Time to move on.

Looting a rare is in no way a crapshoot, especially now that they have changed the tag model.
The chests aren't meant to be common in the world.
They are a bonus for lucky questers.

No I understood the mechanism from ptr, I am just annoyed at your overstating the odds. I did all the quests on 2 characters, no keys, Generally the rares seem to drop something about 1/4 of the time. But after 3x chasing them down to have them die before I got their then 30 minutes camping the beach with 20 or so others waiting for the next spawn their I had enough.