Holy Avenger vs Divine Purpose for Healing

Paladin
I personally have only used Divine Purpose purpose and most people seem to recommend that. I was just wondering what other paladins had to say about Holy Avenger in 10 man raids, do you use it for every fight or only fights that have massive spike damage like the queen adds or Titan Gas.
I use it for every fight. on demand holy power and an extra CD always seem useful
I use DP most of the time.
I used both and imo, Divine Purpose procs so many times during a fight that it gives me more global healing at the end.
For me myself it really depends on the fight. Where there will be a ton of damage at a certain point I will take HA if not I normally will run DP. As well what I have found myself doing more is the fights I take Sacred Shield on I normally will take HA with that since I wont have near the "control" of healing that EF allows with the HoT ticks. As well Paladin Healers already have a ton of utility with out HA so I also prefer DP because of the amount of CDs we already have.
03/03/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Kuroyukihime
I personally have only used Divine Purpose purpose and most people seem to recommend that. I was just wondering what other paladins had to say about Holy Avenger in 10 man raids, do you use it for every fight or only fights that have massive spike damage like the queen adds or Titan Gas.

It depends on the fight for me. If I know there will be designated periods of burst damage, if I'm comfortable with the fight but know I'll be tight on mana, if I just feel like it, I'll use Holy Avenger.

If it's a farm fight, if I'm feeling lazy, if burst isn't needed, I use Divine Purpose. But it's 90% how lazy I feel and 10% raid mechanics.
Did you notice how damn cheap Tome of the Clear Mind is?

There is no such answer to which spec you pick, which glyph you pick. You use different for each fights
For Holy, ours uses DP most the time, and he hasn't really touched HA too much. I don't keep tabs on him because he is pretty phenomenal at what he does.
Never tried divine purpose, been meaning to do so but I've been iffy about something that I can't control over a controlled cooldown that guarantees me an increase in healing. But many people say DP procs many times and the procs proc procs... say that 5 times fast.

So i don't know, experimentation may be in order
I feel that DP is not as reliable as HA since I can never get DP to proc when it is needed the most dire. I end up using more mana to get 3 charges and hope for DP to proc. with HA it is guaranteed and has a 2 min cd so which would normally be a 3 min cd if you have DP instead. if I use HA with other cds like Guardian and Divine purpose I can get Holy Radiance off 8-10 times before the cd is depleted. even faster if the raid is lusting
It depends what you're doing and what you prefer.

In theory, over a long enough fight, DP and HA should give about the same amount of value. The difference is whether you prefer to have on-demand burst capability or semi-regular bonus spells. Obviously, in order to get the most from DP, you have to use 3HP spells most if not all the time.

Builds:
EF + DP: Favors fights with constant medium to high raid damage. You'll be constantly building holy power and spending it on EFs, DP will let you increase the number of targets you can EF at the same time. The drawback is you will be less able to burst heal effectively, and the more obvious problem of potentially leaving you proc starved at a bad time.

EF + HA: Favors fights with short periods of predictable raid damage. You have more burst capability than a DP build since you can quickly throw out a bunch of max power EFs. The drawback is you have to know when the big damage is coming to get the most from your EF ticks and your HA. This is less ideal on fights with frequent low to medium damage spikes.

SH + DP: Best on fights with constant low raid damage and high tank damage. You won't be able to blanket the raid with EFs, but the increased HP generation from SH will give you more frequent DP procs because you use those spells more. You'll be better able to deal with small bursts of raid damage with LoD. That said, this build lacks some of the synergy of the other 3.

SH + HA: Extremely high burst potential and you have control over exactly when your holy power comes and where it goes. Great for fights like Thok when you can't necessarily cast or need to put out a ton of raid healing very quickly. Has the disadvantage of having lower sustained raid throughput than EF builds.
Holy Avenger. I'd never switch to DP because it is unreliable. As a healer you want consistency. Procs upon procs upon procs is not how you keep people alive.
Dat necro
Never tried divine purpose, been meaning to do so but I've been iffy about something that I can't control over a controlled cooldown that guarantees me an increase in healing. But many people say DP procs many times and the procs proc procs... say that 5 times fast.

Its ridiculous how many times it procs in a row at times.

The most I've had in a row is five.
Plenty of fours and threes.

HA is nice if you know you are going to have certain periods of burst damage.

I've seen a 10, and several 8 procs. RNG is RNG

I've seen a 10, and several 8 procs. RNG is RNG
Highest i've gotten is 12.. yes.. 12 procs in a row from DP...
the sad thing was it was in a 5 man dungeon XD.. but yeah... nobody died in that fight XD...
Only 75 but divine purpose seems pretty nice. PvP at this level is way more intense than dungeons are right now. For raids and I need burst the on demand maybe something not so rng but even though it is rng you still get to decide what to cast etc. I like divine purpose so far. I'll do some battle grounds and see how it fairs.