With the recent 5.2 Hotfix to Mistweavers ..

Monk
Wat?
They just basically doubled our DPS...and you're complaining? What on earth are you doing over there? You jab, then tiger palm...repeat until target is dead. Throw in a chi wave here and there. Mistweaver DPS is not complicated.

No offense, but if you're having trouble killing individual quest mobs, you might wanna roll a death knight or something...

^ What she said^

Also if they read what each of the masters say to them pre fight, they all give a plainer than day clue on how to beat them

I just did the level 60 boss and I was severly undergeared (leveled 41 to 64 via pet battles last night so didn't have any gear upgrades for 20+ levels). I think it's the monk that heals himself back to full with spinning crane kick while doing damage to you. Needed to use your various abilities to interrupt that, otherwise you will run out of mana.
Could just be a case of a streak of undergeared tanks. Most Heirlooms go away at 80 right? So they might not have a complete set of tanking gear since it's a pain to collect sets for different specs/uses.

I recall having similar streaks of bad tanks at various level points (namely around 60ish and DK tanks) due to reasons beyond my control.

Agreed, perhaps I will keep trying and heed the advice that you two have given me, I appreciate it.
The latter of course! lol

But, as far as squishy tanks go... it's them. It's not you. Unless you're seriously not encountering bad tanks on other healer leveling toons, and only on the monk, I'm sticking with it's them.

I have an 80 alliance (gasp) monk I want to level to 90. I will try and do one run tonight on it. And it has terrible gear :P it was an RAF level granted from 40 to 80.

haha yeah probably

Well let me know how it goes, someone suggested I need to gather more spirit gear, and perhaps I will try focusing on spirit more, I was trying to focus on spellpower for damage which would end up giving me more melee healing, but I think spirit may solve my mana issues...or at least help them.
See tanks at 83 die so fast there is no way to keep them alive and be mana effecient at the same time. If there is i'm truly missing something. I have to blow through my mana just to keep them from death and they never keep an eye on my mana bar, they just charge into the next fight with my mana at 15% and blame me for using too much mana. That or tell me "less dps more healing" and then threaten to kick me if I don't "do my job" lol I really don't get this class anymore, i'm so frustrated with these changes i'm almost to the point of canceling my sub, as the reason I came back to the game from a hiatus was to play Monk. I was enjoy it, but after 5.2 not so much. One of two things are going on here, either the team in charge of the monk changes are geniuses and the community is missing something HUGE or the guys who did the "changes" to the Monk are the biggest morons alive. =\

No what you have at that lvl are runaway dgns as i call them, you are right in the middle of that Cata regearing stage, and many of the parties are rushing thru those dgns so fast that they pull way to many at once and yes if you are not fistweaving some, and managing your mana tea closely you will run out of mana and fast. Make sure to use as many of your powers that create mana tea and place that mana tea icon on an easy key for you to hit. You're going to have a bunch of those run away dgns at that lvl, .

Example: I got one shotted at a raid boss. a warlock battle rezzed me. meaning I had nearly nothing for mana as I rebuffed , dropped my statue again, and got right back in there fighting and healing. in less than 2 minutes I was back at 75% mana,. every time you get 2 to 3 chi use them. Use powers that create chi. read your stickies.

I went thru the very same issues. at lvl 85 in MoP dgns.. then started working a healing rotation that I myself figured out. then at raid lvl I started fist weaving a lot more. yes it's a LOT of work, but not boring !
my point was also for 25 man normal content. on the bosses with gimicks that increase damage it is viable to fistweave, but the days of jabing for chi to use on uplift/chiburst etc are over. also i could just keep zeal up and auto attack to high numbers in lfr :P

LOL point well taken
I've been noting comments and suggestions in this thread in hopes I can salvage my MW monk as a viable healer. I'm still fairly new to healing and have a lvl 90 holy priest who is very solid, I never run out of mana and rarely need to drink between fights on the priest. This monk has been a ton of fun to level and I never had mana management issues before I hit about 82 (I did use five heirloom pieces while leveling). However, I actually OOMed last night for the first time on the monk in The Vortex Pinnacle (squishy undergeared tank ftw). I used some fistweaving to get back a bit of mana but it makes me very nervous at the thought of going into Pandaria dungeons with this healer. And I really don't enjoy fistweaving that much.

I dislike being forced to incorporate fistweaving into my healing style, but I admit it is a challenge that could be interesting. However, with 5.2 nerfs to it, I'm not sure I want to take the time to tackle this challenge.
I've been noting comments and suggestions in this thread in hopes I can salvage my MW monk as a viable healer. I'm still fairly new to healing and have a lvl 90 holy priest who is very solid, I never run out of mana and rarely need to drink between fights on the priest. This monk has been a ton of fun to level and I never had mana management issues before I hit about 82 (I did use five heirloom pieces while leveling). However, I actually OOMed last night for the first time on the monk in The Vortex Pinnacle (squishy undergeared tank ftw). I used some fistweaving to get back a bit of mana but it makes me very nervous at the thought of going into Pandaria dungeons with this healer. And I really don't enjoy fistweaving that much.

I dislike being forced to incorporate fistweaving into my healing style, but I admit it is a challenge that could be interesting. However, with 5.2 nerfs to it, I'm not sure I want to take the time to tackle this challenge.

MoP leveling content is much more forgiving than the Cata dungeons, at least in my experience. My last healer toon didn't even enter a Cata dungeon because of previous experience telling me how un-fun they are for the healer...
So tired of hearing about fistweaving. One of the lamest, most uncreative theorycrafts in WoW history. It is tantamount to priests melee attacking bosses and spamming Prayer of Healing, then complaining when it gets nerfed.

That was the reason Jab was destroyed, now all of us have to deal with this total bull crap of jabbing once, seeing if other buttons light up, jab again, press renewing mist for no reason, expel harm for no reason, staring at their CDs, oops maintain melee range, mana tea, jab, press the buttons that light up, oops no chi left for touch of death, un-tunnel-vision when someone ganks (the only fun part) -- just to kill trash daily mobs. Just to do this efficiently without staring at your bar you'd have to program 4 weakauras and redo keybinds.
MoP leveling content is much more forgiving than the Cata dungeons, at least in my experience. My last healer toon didn't even enter a Cata dungeon because of previous experience telling me how un-fun they are for the healer...

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll take a shot at it. :)
03/09/2013 12:39 AMPosted by Zenfoo
See tanks at 83 die so fast there is no way to keep them alive and be mana effecient at the same time. If there is i'm truly missing something. I have to blow through my mana just to keep them from death and they never keep an eye on my mana bar, they just charge into the next fight with my mana at 15% and blame me for using too much mana. That or tell me "less dps more healing" and then threaten to kick me if I don't "do my job" lol I really don't get this class anymore, i'm so frustrated with these changes i'm almost to the point of canceling my sub, as the reason I came back to the game from a hiatus was to play Monk. I was enjoy it, but after 5.2 not so much. One of two things are going on here, either the team in charge of the monk changes are geniuses and the community is missing something HUGE or the guys who did the "changes" to the Monk are the biggest morons alive. =\

No what you have at that lvl are runaway dgns as i call them, you are right in the middle of that Cata regearing stage, and many of the parties are rushing thru those dgns so fast that they pull way to many at once and yes if you are not fistweaving some, and managing your mana tea closely you will run out of mana and fast. Make sure to use as many of your powers that create mana tea and place that mana tea icon on an easy key for you to hit. You're going to have a bunch of those run away dgns at that lvl, .

Example: I got one shotted at a raid boss. a warlock battle rezzed me. meaning I had nearly nothing for mana as I rebuffed , dropped my statue again, and got right back in there fighting and healing. in less than 2 minutes I was back at 75% mana,. every time you get 2 to 3 chi use them. Use powers that create chi. read your stickies.

I went thru the very same issues. at lvl 85 in MoP dgns.. then started working a healing rotation that I myself figured out. then at raid lvl I started fist weaving a lot more. yes it's a LOT of work, but not boring !

You were correct, thank you so much for the post, i'm 85 now (This is Laitheris) and i'm doing great, figured out my heal rotation just like you said and now mana is no issue for me at all, really appreciate this!

They want us to use more of our abilities, yet they force us to use certain abilities in a row now? I have no problem with the idea of combos, but do something unique with them like the Disciple class from Vanguard and make it to where if I use these 3 attacks in a row it automatically heals my focus target or somethin. Not "Hey lets increase the mana cost of jab and force you to use this ability after just so you play the way we want you to play!".

Vanguard had amazing class design and the disciple was the best tied with the blood mage.
You were correct, thank you so much for the post, i'm 85 now (This is Laitheris) and i'm doing great, figured out my heal rotation just like you said and now mana is no issue for me at all, really appreciate this!

You're very welcome !. Just keep in mind that you don't have to continuously fistweave, just enough to keep up your eminence buffs, and many times those will allow you mana free, critical heals. Psssst shhhhh don't tell anyone I told you this but Block Out Kick also creates mana tea, and buff LOL, and I have seen it create 2 stacks at once.

Here is what I do, pop the tank with renewing mist. get in there and get in just enough melee hits to get your buffs, roll out to ranged dps ( if they are close enough), spin around target tank, hit him with a rushing jade wind, it crit heals him for between 40 to 130k, if he is still a little low on health you can always pop dispell and hit him with a uplift RJW also crit damages all the mobs he is attacking at that very moment,, you will see your spinning crane kick light up, spin once, maybe twice on the ranged dps, drink mana tea, roll back into melee range, get in a couple or 3 hits, rinse and repeat. By doing this you are on the move and making it hard for the instance to target you with ground aoe dmg. plus you aren't single target healing, and that in itself will cause your hps to double, with the same or less amount of mana usage. Also use Replinish only as needed, but if eminence buffed it will heal even better.

But remember Rushing Jade Wind takes 3 Chi (RJW found in your talent tree) But for good reason, the critical Spinning Crane Kick heals are worth the 3 chi. and if used RJW at the right time between chi's and powers, it can stack 3 mana tea.

Others like to use Xuen or Chi torpedo, but sometimes Xuen seems to be lazy. and Chi Torpedo isn't always in range of the ranged enough to do any good. If you fall short then the chi torpedo was wasted. But don't take my word for it, Try it all to see what you like best for your own style.. That's what's great about this new expansion. Use to if you talented it the wrong way we could throw our class spec all out of whack. Blizz fixed that little snafu. Even icyveins.com will tell you the same thing.

There are more things that I do, but it would take all night to sit down and explain my style and changes for each situation.. Finding your own style is what's important and fun with this class spec. Now if I tried something different tomorrow I might find a better way than what I just described.

Play your toon your way. because the most important aspect of it all is to have fun. But it never hurts to thumb thru the forums.

By the way Congratulations on 85.

I wish you well.
Birgitt
85 Human Monk
Taberknackered

Edited by Birgitt on 3/9/13 8:00 AM (PST)

You have no idea how close I came to shelving this mistweaver. I was healing "Okay" but my heals per second were awful ! Then a realmer told me about fistweaving and how it is supposed to be incorporated into my healing. It was the first time I had heard of it so you can imagine how confused I was after dealing with healers getting kicked for dpsing in my former years of learning the game, Fist weaving goes against everything we learned about healing.

I was LFR healing for around 24 to 25k see ing casting healers simply bury me.. I jumped on these forums, first I ranted, then I started listening. Once I started listening and learning. and then slowly started throwing in just a tiny little bit of dps while healing, I was amazed. Now I haven't done much healing since this new patch. did a dgn the other day for the first time in a couple of weeks, because I lvled my Retri Pally to 90 and was working on it to get it LFR ready. But I did notice a huge increase in dps powers with 5.2. Recount hadn't updated at that point so I have no idea what my heals did. But I did notice since 5.2 I have to watch out with my jab and not spam it. or I would run OOM and fast.

I'm going to have to re-work my rotation a tad, but I don't see it being a big issue.

This class and spec is definitely for those who got bored with healing on strictly cast heal classes.
Could just be a case of a streak of undergeared tanks. Most Heirlooms go away at 80 right? So they might not have a complete set of tanking gear since it's a pain to collect sets for different specs/uses.

I recall having similar streaks of bad tanks at various level points (namely around 60ish and DK tanks) due to reasons beyond my control.

ughh i have shivers of all my toons around that level (despite me loving outlands)... for every possible character i just tanked through it (or had the tank gear on hand for when the dk tank would fail). when healing, i would just facepalm through it :(
Wow, the level of ignorance of the majority of mistweavers I see is actually mindboggling to me. I really don't think half of you people even read your own abilities, nevermind patch notes.

03/11/2013 02:50 AMPosted by Zenfoo
Block Out Kick also creates mana tea, and buff LOL, and I have seen it create 2 stacks at once.

Mana tea has a chance to generate two stacks equal to your crit chance.

Here is what I do, pop the tank with renewing mist. get in there and get in just enough melee hits to get your buffs, roll out to ranged dps

By "get your bufffs" I assume you mean tiger power and serpent's zeal...both of which do absolutely nothing for our only ranged damage move, crackling jade lightning. If you want to DPS at range, don't bother rolling in for buffs.

target tank, hit him with a rushing jade wind, it crit heals him for between 40 to 130k

Rushing Jade Wind is not targetted, and does not heal (outside eminence healing). Again, you folks would do a service to yourself and everyone you play with by reading your abilities.

if he is still a little low on health you can always pop dispell and hit him with a uplift RJW also crit damages all the mobs he is attacking at that very moment

What is this? I don't even...

By doing this you are on the move and making it hard for the instance to target you with ground aoe dmg. plus you aren't single target healing, and that in itself will cause your hps to double, with the same or less amount of mana usage

Are you serious? The more I dissect this post the more I think you're just trolling.

Also use Replinish only as needed, but if eminence buffed it will heal even better.

We do not even have a move called replenish.

But remember Rushing Jade Wind takes 3 Chi

Rushing Jade Wind costs 2 chi.

and if used RJW at the right time between chi's and powers, it can stack 3 mana tea.

This, like most of the rest of your post, is false.

Finding your own style is what's important and fun with this class spec.

No, actually researching your class and learning how to play is what's important if you actually want to be a competent healer.

Perhaps you mean well Zenfoo, but please, just stop. On the off chance you are actually this ignorant about your class and not just trolling, you shouldn't be giving advice to people genuinely trying to learn. If you are trolling, well...actually, this is a pretty good troll post. But still mean to anyone who actually takes you seriously.