Kanrethad Ebonlocke ((Green flame quest))

Quests
OK folks iv seen your post any i have had my fair share of issues as well hopefully what i post helps u some

First i always use my imp to sacrifice for the dispell buff
Second bring buff food and flasks every little bit helps
Third this is a mechanic fight more than anything
Fourth past through the pit lords flames to get rid of dots DON'T STAND IN IT

Talents.
1. I use soul leech for better durability
2. is a toss up between shadow fury and mortal coil. shadow fury is great for stunning the imps giving u leeway to attack coil is good for health.
3. sacrificial pact this combined with the pit lords heal will give u a strong enough bubble to absorb the chaos bolt and heal u to full health and its only a 1 min cool down
4. no real issue pick what u want
5. kil'jaedens cunning for mobility is what i use but vengeance works well for dps but causes aggro issues

Glyph.
(majors)
syphon life
ember tap
dark soul
(minors)
enslave demon
crimson banish
3rd is optional

Encounter.

enslave pit lord obviously.
for chaos bolt i use sacrificial pact and pit lords heal and it gets absorbed.
cataclysm is only stopped by the pit lords stun as far as i know.

if u set up your demon gate to start it is good to use for dropping aggro when needed
also use your soul shatter.

imps. i use the pit lords fire and jump in my gate and i keep dpsing the boss. more imps come out and attack u but use your soul shatter and pit lords fire so he keeps aggro and you can stay on the boss rain of fire if u need embers and use ur gate often and the imps will die.(also i saw a post in this to bane the boss and imp together to shadow burn both awesome idea ty)
Felhounds. these suck i have the hardest time with these but the idea is that if they look at your pit lord the will eat your enslave so i made my pit lord go right and rain of fire on the gate to tank the doggies facing left. you can easily kill them this way but here is the trick you should try and keep one alive at very low health to eat the enslave. this will give u time to kill the hound and re enslave to pit lord giving you another 5 min.
Doomlord. this is actually easy and there are 2 ways to handle them the first is simply banish them it puts a little more on your plate to keep them in cc but it works second is just let your pit lord hit him and draw aggro from u and then leave him be. the issue with this when the imps come out u need to try not hitting the doomguard or you will draw aggro and force yourself to cc him or try and reset aggro.

rinse and repeat sounds simple but really isn't i know im still trying im just clumsy on the mechanics still but best of luck and i hope my post helps. if there are any other ideas or suggestions out there please post.
Well all, Said I gave up on it and was gonna quit wow.....But like usual when people say that I went back and tried it again the other day and I actually beat him, After who know's how many wipe's, repairs, flasks, different method's etc. etc.

My best tip to everyone is, Look up strat's but just because one strat worked for a person doesn't mean it will for you, We all play differently, Sometime's very slightly but that still count's, What I did was take a piece of each strat I found that worked best for me and basically made my own to my play style, I did imp's the way one guy did, Did fel hunter's the way another guy did etc. etc.

If your having to much trouble, Gear up, But remember the fight's tuned to be insanely hard and tuned toward's the best gear of this patch, Which if you get some it will deff help but don't expect your gear to carry you even with the best gear available atm it will still be difficult.

Practice make's perfect, Don't concentrate on the fight as a whole, First Concentrate on perfectly killing the imp's, Then Concentrate on stopping those cataclysm's and chaos bolt's (One way to stop cata, But either shielding or LOSing the chaos bolt's, What work's best for you? Find out, Do you need your shields for something else during the encounter? then most likely you'll want to LOS them, Can you live without your shield's? Then use them for the Chaos bolt's) Then find your best's strat's for the fel hunter's, So on and so forth, Not in that exact order but work on the phases you need improvement on and try different method's against them if one's not working for you.

Not much more to say, All the info for the fight is already out there, Just find what's best for the way you play, I still think it need's a nerf, Since it's just a cosmetic and Personally after I got my green fire even though I wanted it so damn bad, All the resource's and time I put into it and all the stress it caused, I don't think it was worth it, You might think differently but that's just my opinion, I'd rather have farmed for the tome for a month or two then had to do an interesting quest line with decent difficulty not insane difficulty.

Well that's all finally done with it, Good luck to the rest of you, Trust me you'll beat him eventually it's do able and One thing to Blizz, Please work on the Icon artwork a little more for when you get green fire, It look's like you took the icon's into paint and bucket filled them all lime green, Maybe it's just me but I have a really nice monitor and my graphics are jacked to the max, They just look.....Terrible. But I can live with it.

Edit: Oh and one more thing, Blizz for the love of god, Next time you feel the need to make something insanely hard, Don't make it a quest or any of the like, Especially not a solo quest, Give us a damn raiding experience that we can actually be proud of beating when we finally do it, I mean yah I basically only do lfr anymore but that's because I know i'd have no trouble at all doing norm's or heroic's and it's a waste of time to put together a raid to me personally, I if I do with my luck i'd get troll's, Drunk and High people and complete idiot's in it, Last time I messed up at all in a raid, Was Icc heroic, When I was typing and not looking where I was walking, Pulled some mob's, Still didn't get near a wipe. I can't remember the last time I felt a raid was remotely difficult, Let alone feeling any accomplishment in beating one.
I wonder if its worth dismissing then banishing the pit lord during the felhunter phase? or would they dispel that as well? lol
I've tried to kill this guy multiple times now, it is just too hard unless you have really good gear and understand the boss mechanics well enough, I think this guy need to have less health and not as much mechanics to worry about. I think blizz should nerf this guy!
If anyone is still having trouble on the felhunter phase, I figured out a nifty trick.

Right before they spawn, send the pit lord far away from the portal as usual, to the opposite end of the arena, and set down rain of fire on Kanrethad's portal. Start dragging the felhunters back towards the stairs you entered from, while damaging them to go faster. What always used to get me was Kanrethad's chaos bolt while I was dealing with them. I found that having the pit lord charge and interrupt the chaos bolt saved me lots of time and headache. The whole idea with dragging the hunters back towards the stairs is to avoid them devouring your enslave on the pit lord, however it also served a different purpose. Chances are, if you charged the chaos bolt cast, Charge will not be off cooldown for Cataclysm. If you've been dragging them back towards the stairs, you should be in perfect walking distance to simply step out of Cataclysm AoE and avoid it entirely, making for a very easy felhunter phase.

Hope this helps some of you, and good luck! :)
Absolute utter trash. Grossly overtuned. Demands perfection amongst a multitude of RNG. Buggy !@# felhhunters with no proper way to work the mechanics around the removal of enslave demon nor prevent it consistently. Whoever suggested the annoying imp should be fired on the spot and possibly shot and killed outright. Overall this is the WORST experience ive ever had in WoW and the by a giant margin the most difficult thing. At its current tuning and with the amount of bugs you fight around the mechanics this makes the hardest heroic raid boss look like a joke. And to top it off, its for a cosmetic change to spells. At this difficulty you should be rewarded with a legendary pet or item or a flat out 10% buff to all of your spells when your finished. Too much effort for nothing, fix it.
Finding also that the chaos bolts sometimes either completely ignore the fact that you have sacrificial pact+twilight ward and even+ unending resolve. And sometimes they hit you before he even finishes the cast and or while the bolt itself is still travelling through the air. SO MANY BUGS!
Edit: Oh and one more thing, Blizz for the love of god, Next time you feel the need to make something insanely hard, Don't make it a quest or any of the like, Especially not a solo quest, Give us a damn raiding experience that we can actually be proud of beating when we finally do it,

This makes no sense to me. Shouldn't you be more proud to have defeated a difficult encounter solo? With raids, someone can always be carried if they fail, but this is a test of warlock skill you can wear as a badge of honor.

More challenging solo content please.

Absolute utter trash. Grossly overtuned. Demands perfection amongst a multitude of RNG. Buggy !@# felhhunters with no proper way to work the mechanics around the removal of enslave demon nor prevent it consistently. Whoever suggested the annoying imp should be fired on the spot and possibly shot and killed outright. Overall this is the WORST experience ive ever had in WoW and the by a giant margin the most difficult thing. At its current tuning and with the amount of bugs you fight around the mechanics this makes the hardest heroic raid boss look like a joke. And to top it off, its for a cosmetic change to spells. At this difficulty you should be rewarded with a legendary pet or item or a flat out 10% buff to all of your spells when your finished. Too much effort for nothing, fix it.

It's not overtuned. It's tuned to weed out the poser warlocks from the devoted ones. The mechanics all have valid strategies that can be applied to them. Every time I thought I was experiencing buggy behavior, the more I studied the details of the encounter I understood how each part is intended to behave.

There are indeed consistent positioning strategies to avoid the felhunter's devour. Kill the imps faster if you don't want them to annoy you.

Finding also that the chaos bolts sometimes either completely ignore the fact that you have sacrificial pact+twilight ward and even+ unending resolve. And sometimes they hit you before he even finishes the cast and or while the bolt itself is still travelling through the air. SO MANY BUGS!

I did dozens of attempts before I succeeded and these things never happened. If your Sacrificial Pact did not absorb the Chaos Bolt it may have been because your pit lord was low on health, the enslave was devoured or expired, you were low on health, you timed it poorly, etc. Perhaps you're having serious lag issues.
I beat him in full contender gear. 454 ilvl. hes not a gear check boss def a skill check tho
So far I have had many, many attempts which were "semi" successful until:

The chaos bolt completely ignores the wall between us and hits me anyway.

The Pitlord's charge just fails to go off, even when I spam the button.

My Demonic Gateway glitches and becomes unclickable, or just disappears completely.

My Command Demon ability to Cauterize disappears from my bars. Poof, like maaaaaaagic.

Instead of appearing in the portal, the Fel Imps and/or Felhounds (much worse) spawn right at my feet.

I'm just gonna keep plugging away at it (mostly out of spite), but I'm really not a happy little clam right about now.

And am I really correct in assuming that Blizz had the gall to buff this guy between the PTR and live because he really wasn't obnoxious enough? Perhaps those development hours would have been better spent getting the bugs out of the fight first.

I've had similiar problems with a few of those. last night my pit lords charge wouldnt proc off and cataclysm hit me for a killjoy. Furthermore CB often goes through my cds at around Felhunter phase and doomlord phase and wipes me. I've seen a few times how the Wild imps summoned just spawn in front of me instead of the gateway and i have to control them and put them into the center to AoE them with Fel Flame Breath+RoF. more importantly is the fact that as soon as i've moved even if it wasn't much the felhunters spam their Unenslavement ability over and over and my chat log is filled with how my pit lord was unenslaved and thats when i can no longer enslave demon the pit lord until i've killed the felhunters and 5 demons on me is a lot to take in. So im thinking Kanrethad needs some debugging on Felhunter ( i consider that part a major bug) as i dont want to get a giant angry demon on me stunning/cleaving me for 80% of my hp then getting a nasty CB thrown at me thats unavoidable on those phases.
The fight is very very difficult but it is not bugged. Strategies are all over the lock forums.

Honestly i just dont think blizz cares at all. Druid forms get a graphic change, then they add new forms in glyphs but they cant give warlocks a minor glyph for the green fire? No they make it a quest chain that no one else has ever had to do.

We get an epic questline just for our quest sending us into the Black Temple and people still complain that Blizzard doesn't care.
In my experience, Ackthal's strategy is by far the best. If you constantly jump back and forth between your portals as soon as the debuff wears off, Kanrethad will almost never target you, and 90+% of his Chaos Bolt casts will be interrupted by him switching focus to the Pit Lord mid-cast.

I personally never experienced any of the bugs you guys are mentioning, even back when I was initially trying to LoS or tank the Chaos Bolts. If I got hit by a Chaos Bolt, it was always because I waited too long to get into position or pop cooldowns (you have to do it before it finishes casting; waiting for the spell graphic to travel through the air is too late), or because my health wasn't full when I popped survival cooldowns (they only soak up so much damage and Chaos Bolt hits for about 450k). It's possible that you are experiencing latency issues, I suppose.

For Wild Imps, they spawn inside and around the portal, but will likely move towards you upon aggro. I personally positioned myself right in front of the portal with the Pit Lord right behind me, and dealt with them right there as quickly as I could with AoE and the Pit Lord's Charge and Fel Flame Breath.

The Felhunter's Devour Enslavement is a frontal cone with 100 yard range and they spam it pretty frequently. If the Felhunters face your Pitlord for even a second, there's a very strong chance that they will devour Enslave Demon.

In other words, you need to get your Pit Lord over there ->, and make sure the Felhunters are facing this way <- while you kill them. Your best bet is to Soulshatter + Unbound Will (drop aggro on Kanrethad, causing him to focus on the Pit Lord, which you moved far out of the way), and put a Rain of Fire on the portal so that they aggro you instead of the Pit Lord. You'll also want to enter this phase with at least two or three burning embers so you can burn them down.
It's needs to be nerfed big time, it's way too hard just for a color alter effect... I would understand if it was this hard for for a new powerful spell or something but that isn't the case. It needs a nerf, the warlock mount quest back in the day was never this irritating or hard.
Speaking of bugs on this fight, I see you have all missed the biggest one of all.

Once you accept the first quest to enter the Black Temple 25 man raid ever again, if you are stuck on ebonlocke, or hell even after completing the quest chain, and obtaining green fire you are still unable to enter the actual raid.

The Scenario overides the raid, and it wont let you enter it. So you better hope you got all your tier 6 tier/weapons for transmog/RP purposes before you accept the quest or you are !@#$ out of luck.
Lowest I got this guy was 50%.
Things wrong with this quest.
1.Boss has WAY too much health
2.Felhunters Need a CD on thier dispell
3.Way too much stuff for you to deal with.

Majority people on here Call "Its hard and thats ok" which is not the case. No quest in this game is this hard. NEVER any quest in wow was this hard and before you say "Warlock/Pally Mount quest" I will tell you I have done both back when they were current and NO they were not. Hell most of you dont even have the achievement for the mount quest and you are saying its on same level? El oh El . Mount quest was costly and Fun not hard.

There is also people saying "well this guy did it with only 378 ilvl and this other guy was in all green and only had one arm and using dial up and did it, you all just need to L2P". while this may be true there are also Players out there with a 2500+ rating in Rated BGs and Arena and have video of them doing it I guess if you dont have that your a fail Lock and have a L2P issue too?There is also Players out there that have finished ToT all in heroic mode guess since you havent dont that either your a fail lock too? L2P issues all around.

For the Mega Elite player who Logs about 18hrs a day on wow this is not a Issue and it is easy. But for the average player this is Insane level hard. 3 people in my guild has this green fire and you know what they said it needed to be nerfed.

I pay $15 a month like everyone else I play this game for fun and to relax.This quest was fun up until last boss now its annoying.Most of you that say it doesnt need to be nerfed already have it and want to keep people down so you feel special. Saying that people dont deserve a nerf because you have it done is LOL. If we all went by that logic then No lock deserves the Mount because you didnt earn it through a quest.

If they nerf it fine if not oh well I will get it later on.

And with that those who got it Gratz but dont complain if they nerf it.
It's tuned to weed out the poser warlocks from the devoted ones
Oh, so because you play better than I (and other's who haven't completed) do, you are "devoted" and we are all Posers? It's clear that in addition to being so "devoted" you are also a colossal something else, but I'm too polite to say what that is here.
Your post was angry, but accurate..
It feels as though they are taunting fans by adding the green fire then making it almost impossible to obtain it. The fight is SO bugged for me. They need to nerf this IMO.

If it's bugged, nerfing it won't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmZYhh2WZ5w
It's not overtuned. It's tuned to weed out the poser warlocks from the devoted ones
Devs said it's overtuned, but I guess you know more than they do..
So Sacrificial Pact doesn't seem to be working on the pit lord, anyone else having this issue?

Also, I don't think this boss should be nerfed. I've been beating my head against this boss with around 490 iLVL, and it's do-able, just have to concentrate.

*edit - it does work, my bad, though it does sacrifice my own health

Just downed him : D after around a hundred wipes, victory has arrived.

Good luck to the rest of you going for this quest, certainly a good challenge.